Model Shipways Massachusetts Privateer Rattlesnake

I also figured out what I wanted to do with the anchors. I was going to try the frying pan/oil method that Sasha used for his chain plate to blacken the anchor.... I completely failed. I used one of the bitts that came with the kit. Good thing I did because it ended up melting.... which gave me an idea for making cannonballs if I feel like it later on. making the stocks were pretty easy. I used strips of sandpaper for the black bands. The pain in the neck was wrapping the rope around the ring that I made. I have the port side attached as though it is being pulled up...it ties in with the nippers that are still attached to the port messenger cable.20210616_180449.jpg20210616_180506.jpg20210616_183504.jpg20210616_193455.jpg20210616_193531.jpg20210616_193708.jpg20210616_195930.jpg

Last edited:
I also figured out what I wanted to do with the anchors. I was going to try the frying pan/oil method that Sasha used for his chain plate to blacken the anchor.... I completely failed. I used one of the bitts that came with the kit. Good thing I did because it ended up melting.... which gave me an idea for making cannonballs if I feel like it later on. making the stocks were pretty easy. I used strips of sandpaper for the black bands. The pain in the neck was wrapping the rope around the ring that I made. I have the port side attached as though it is being pulled up...it ties in with the nippers that are still attached to the port messenger cable.
Hi Paul,
On my ship the anchor stock is 90 degrees to the flukes. I'm wondering if yours should be as well??? Your wood stocks are a fantastic improvement over the cast version that came with your kit. Great job!

A good blackening solution is Casey's Super Blue. This solution well works on Pewter metals, while Brass Black is mostly used for brass and copper materials.
Also, the wooden stock has to be rotated 90 degrees, the way you show is incorrect. I am sure, it shouldn't be a big issue to rotate. :) Other than that, I like your idea to use sandpaper as reinforcement rings for stock. As a suggestion, you may imitate the bolts by drilling the holes (both sides)

Paul & Jimsky, thank you.... I'm now at a 90 degree angle from the flukes..... I was wondering how I was going to secure the starboard anchor tomorrow.. the other picture is the bitt...that might supply cannonballs. I'll get some of the Casey's Super Blue. Now that I am looking at the anchors set up properly, they wouldn't have worked the way I had it AND my Surface Warfare Officer didn't notice..1623891583982323787092180759467.jpg16238916092651334944928763810153.jpg

Я также понял, что хочу делать с якорями. Я собирался попробовать метод сковороды / масла, который Саша использовал для своей цепной пластины, чтобы почернить якорь ... Я полностью потерпел неудачу.
Привет, Пол. Я не использовал этот метод для чернения металла. Я видел только деревянные детали на сковороде. Есть специальные составы для железа. О них писал Дима.

Reactions: PGN
Привет, Пол. Я не использовал этот метод для чернения металла. Я видел только деревянные детали на сковороде. Есть специальные составы для железа. О них писал Дима.
Ah..... now I understand.

Thank you for clearing up my confusion. :)

Добрый день. Я действительно не согласен с этой привязкой якоря. С этим приспособлением якорь закрывает порт пистолета. В бою это больше, чем якорь. Я нашел в Интернете вот способ поставить якорь на эту модель.21736_03.jpg

В дополнение к: в качестве рекомендации, возможно, на будущее есть три различных способа прикрепления якорной веревки:
1. Простой штык с пулеметом. Этот узел использовался для
анкерные канаты на небольших анкерах, то есть в основном в
Средневековье, а позже для стоп-якорей и верпов.
2. Полуштык. Этот узел использовался для больших якорей.
(плечта, дагликс, бухта), так как на толстых веревках сделать ее легче, чем предыдущую.
3. Рыболовный штык. Такой узел использовался для четвероногих якорей, которые обычно использовались на камбузе, но такие как
якоря по-прежнему несли многие средиземноморские корабли. Кроме того, это
узел использовался на небольших якорях, предпочитая его простому
штык с пулеметом, так как при намокании он был менее наклонен
подавить.3692627.jpg8412952_m.png

Добрый день. Я действительно не согласен с этой привязкой якоря. С этим приспособлением якорь закрывает порт пистолета. В бою это больше, чем якорь. Я нашел в Интернете вот способ поставить якорь на эту модель.View attachment 239825
Sasha, I don't really like it either. The directions have this "After hoisting anchor"

As you pointed out the gun port is blocked by this set up..... I will probably stick to how it is now since the port anchor is hanging from the side of the ship almost like they just raised the anchors.

I do appreciate and want your advice. 203905310_10226712405461951_8698220403125807565_n.jpg

2. Полуштык. Этот узел использовался для больших якорей.
(плечта, дагликс, бухта), так как на толстых веревках сделать ее легче, чем предыдущую.
I attempted the 2nd option that you showed, here is what I used for the reference.

1540986853_Anchorknot.JPG.c212c68f6c51af19a13f0e87608f9aa4.jpg

I'm seeing that I have to buy more wood. The instruction says cut to 3 3/4..... but later it says cut to 5 5/8...... I already had to build an adjustment to the bowsprite.....hopefully it will work.

I'm seeing that I have to buy more wood. The instruction says cut to 3 3/4..... but later it says cut to 5 5/8...... I already had to build an adjustment to the bowsprite.....hopefully it will work.
I am crossing the fingers :cool:

Reactions: PGN
Back