Model Shipways Massachusetts Privateer Rattlesnake

I've been working on the deadeyes and chainplates for the port side, starboard is done. I also figured out how I'm going to make the gun Carriage tackle.... kind of reminded me of mountain leaders course......except extremely small. Now, 19 more and I'll be ready to put the guns on the deck.

By the way Alexander, the flame really helped. Thank you.20210503_224928.jpg20210503_225233.jpg20210503_225047.jpg20210503_225253.jpg

Last edited:
Paul:
Bravo on the gun carriage tackle. Delicate work indeed, but the end result is certainly worth the effort. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: PGN
Wow, those gun tackle blocks are small! Did you scratch build those with real pulley wheels? Impressive.
I bought them. I was going to drill the original blocks to make them proper sheaves/pulleys but there wasn't enough room and I don't have a drill bit that small. In the first picture, the blocks that came with the kit are on top, the purchased ones are on the bottom. The 2nd picture has the part numbers. I ended up going to the local crafts store twice to find thread that I could use.20210504_142623.jpg20210504_141525.jpg

Last edited:
After I install the port chain plates, I plan on securing the ship to it's stand. I will have to sand and repaint a couple if areas below the waterline. What should I use as a sealer once it has been repainted?20210506_201706.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for the info on your build. i an going to start rattlesnake in june. keep up the good work, and thanks for the intel on shortcomings of the kit.was the jig necessary ? or could a steady hand and a glass of wine achieve the desired result.

Сегодня вечером я хотел сделать пробный заезд со снастью, которую сделал. Следующие несколько изображений представляют собой приспособление, которое я сделал, чтобы намотать веревку. На последнем снимке изображена снасть для затяжки, в зависимости от того, как я буду чувствовать себя завтра, я, возможно, смогу прикрепить снасть для затяжки.
Есть способ попроще. Сейчас попробую объяснить. Возьмите футляр для компакт-диска. Вырежьте из него 2 квадрата размером 3х3 мм или как хотите. В середине просверливается отверстие размером с зубочистку. Вставьте один конец нити в отверстие и воткните туда зубочистку (оказывается, один конец нити уже зажат). Сверху наденьте второй квадратик с компакт-диска и вместе с зубочисткой вращайте эту конструкцию. Нить наматывается на зубочистку, и вы прижимаете ее верхним квадратом, чтобы она (нить) не оторвалась. Затем нужно аккуратно снять верхнюю часть пластика и слегка смочить намотанную нить клеем, чтобы она не сбежала. Затем эту сторону с клеем кладем на деку, а чистой стороной вверх. К сожалению, фото не сохранилось, но надеюсь, что понятно объяснил.

Google Translate
There is an easier way. Now I will try to explain. Take the CD case. Cut out 2 3x3mm squares or whatever you like. A hole the size of a toothpick is drilled in the middle. Insert one end of the thread into the hole and stick a toothpick there (it turns out one end of the thread is already clamped). Put on the second square from the CD on top and rotate this design with a toothpick. The thread is wound around a toothpick, and you press it with the top square so that it (the thread) does not come off. Then you need to carefully remove the upper part of the plastic and slightly moisten the wound thread with glue so that it does not escape. Then put this side with glue on the deck, and with the clean side up. Unfortunately, the photo has not survived, but I hope I explained it clearly.

Here's the final design. I'll be using Alexander's recommendation for the other 9 cannons. This week it will be putting in the remaining cannons and installing the port chain plates. The second picture is from the ship that I built in the late 90's.20210509_113641.jpg20210509_115422.jpg

Last edited:
Thank You for paving the way Paul! Ordered some more grating material, Master Korabel’s Single compass binnacle and Capstan as well as some single and double 2.5mm blocks so I am better prepared once I start my build. Alexander’s rope jig is also on my list-thank you Google for Translate! How’s that Optivisor working for you?
Keep up the great work and thank you again for chronicling your build!

Marc

Thank You for paving the way Paul! Ordered some more grating material, Master Korabel’s Single compass binnacle and Capstan as well as some single and double 2.5mm blocks so I am better prepared once I start my build. Alexander’s rope jig is also on my list-thank you Google for Translate! How’s that Optivisor working for you?
Keep up the great work and thank you again for chronicling your build!

Marc
Marc,

Your Optivisor recommendation made the difference.... I wish I would have ordered those earlier.

Alexander's recommendation also came at a good time for this build.

Regarding the 2.5 single and double, I ordered 3 which turns out to be 60 of each. For the gun carriages I will end up using 40 single and 20 double for 10 guns. these blocks/sheaves are really good quality and they are better than what was supplied with the kit. I will end up ordering another 3 sets of each for the rigging.

Something that I didn't highlight were these:

MS0429 Model Shipways JACKSTAY EYEBOLTS, .75mm x 6mm 60 pack.

These are the same that came with the kit, I might run out of these. I ordered 3 packs of them: 180, the cannons alone use 12 per gun. I am also using 4 of these per gun for the breech line:

JACKSTAY EYEBOLTS, Brass 3/32 x 5/8"

Paul

Marc,

Your Optivisor recommendation made the difference.... I wish I would have ordered those earlier.

Alexander's recommendation also came at a good time for this build.

Regarding the 2.5 single and double, I ordered 3 which turns out to be 60 of each. For the gun carriages I will end up using 40 single and 20 double for 10 guns. these blocks/sheaves are really good quality and they are better than what was supplied with the kit. I will end up ordering another 3 sets of each for the rigging.

Something that I didn't highlight were these:

MS0429 Model Shipways JACKSTAY EYEBOLTS, .75mm x 6mm 60 pack.

These are the same that came with the kit, I might run out of these. I ordered 3 packs of them: 180, the cannons alone use 12 per gun. I am also using 4 of these per gun for the breech line:

JACKSTAY EYEBOLTS, Brass 3/32 x 5/8"

Paul
Paul:
I also ordered some of the. .75mm jackstays: it looked like there were 2 sizes on the carriages: I’ll test-run the gun rigging on the pilot boat: I’m certain I will be ordering more of the singles and doubles for the rigging as well. Thanks for another helpful tip!

Marc

Update, Alexander's recommendation for the coils was great, they turned out uniformly perfect. That being said, I went back to what I was doing. I want each coils to be different.

Marc, for the single sheave blocks, if I could do it again, I would order the 2.0 length.

Last edited:
Since I'm doing repeating actions.... I figure I'll post pictures of how I'm setting up the gun carriage rigging. After each knot, a little dab of super glue to hold the knot. I am using the "gun tackle" for the inhaul tackle and the "luff or watch tackle" for the outhaul tackle.20210512_150854.jpg20210512_151106.jpg20210512_151543.jpg20210512_151755.jpg20210512_152050.jpg20210512_153259.jpgTackles.png

Last edited:
Update, Alexander's recommendation for the coils was great, they turned out uniformly perfect. That being said, I went back to what I was doing. I want each coils to be different.

Marc, for the single sheave blocks, if I could do it again, I would order the 2.0 length.
Paul:

Duly Noted. I only purchased one bag of each, so I will likely bite the bullet and order the 2.0mm en masse in preparation. Thanks!

Paul:

Duly Noted. I only purchased one bag of each, so I will likely bite the bullet and order the 2.0mm en masse in preparation. Thanks!
I will be ordering additional 2.5 for the rest of the ship. I plan on only using these types of blocks for the rigging. They are much better than what came with the kit.

Back