Montanes by OcCre Build Log

Here is a small update after the weekend. I got almost a full day on Saturday, so I think I made substantial progress. Things appear to be coming together nicely.

IMG_7326.JPG

IMG_7327.JPG
IMG_7328.JPG
IMG_7329.JPG

IMG_7331 (1).JPG

IMG_7330 (1).JPG

So I ended the weekend with all 3 rows of gun ports installed. I did quite a bit of sanding to get all three rows perfectly aligned and smooth. I believe the planking that will go on top should have no problems. I will finish sanding and then move to lining the interior of the top gun port with 2x5mm planks.

IMG_7327.JPG

IMG_7326.JPG

Yes, you are correct. I had to open them up last night....You really have to read the instructions very, very, very carefully.
I am currently a bit farther along in my Montanes build and I can tell you those instructions dont get any easier lmao. There is some difficult parts but i found watching some videos while doing it helps me know what pieces i am suppose to use and the ones that i should not use.

Hey guys, wanted to throw a quick update out for you guys.

1) I built and installed the Doors/windows on upper stern.

IMG_7352.JPG

For Sevish and others building this model, I will warn that you have to do quite a bit of sanding and cutting to get the piece installed in it's correct spot. But all in all it came out pretty good.

2)Built the officer's quarters and painted the inside of the deck area. I really went back and forth on the color and I just don't like the bright red. Not sure why, but I don't like it. I went with more of a darker, brown red which I believe would be more realistic on a ship out at sea....

IMG_7351.JPG

I still have several coats of satin finish to put on deck and sidewalls, but I think the color contrast will be nice.

IMG_7353.JPG

3) Took some sanding, cutting, more sanding to get the 3rd deck installed and centered perfectly for the rear mast, but finally got it perfect. I will plank next and then be ready to put on a couple of coats of satin finish top coat on deck and side walls.

Forgot one more photo.....

IMG_7350.JPG

Thank you for the heads up.
I'm currently working on filler blocks in the stern and bow and then I'll attend to the gunports.

Hi guys, it's been a busy couple of weeks for me. We welcomed our first grandchild and we were able to do our first babysitting job this weekend. She is amazing and I think I am really going to like this Grandpa gig...... Meanwhile, I started planking the outside of the Montanes.

I started on the bow....
IMG_7391.JPG
then the stern....
IMG_7378.JPGIMG_7392.JPG
and then began the gunports......
IMG_7405.JPGIMG_7406.JPG
IMG_7443.jpgIMG_7444.jpgIMG_7445.jpgIMG_7490.jpgIMG_7496.jpgIMG_7497.jpg

Not sure how much I will get accomplished over the next few weeks, but we will continue progressing as my new grandfather duties allow....

Hi guys, it's been a busy couple of weeks for me. We welcomed our first grandchild and we were able to do our first babysitting job this weekend. She is amazing and I think I am really going to like this Grandpa gig
Good afternoon. Wonderful and congratulations Grandpa :D. Your Montanes is coming along splendidly. Cheers Grant

Congrats Gene,
All the best for your grandchild .
Your planking looking very good,i'm waiting to see the rest of the planking .
Cheers Guy

Well, today is a very good day for me. I have finished the hull planking. Planking is my least favorite thing to do. I always dread it, I am always fearful of my angles and if my curves will come out alright, etc. I just don't like doing it. However, not only am I finished, now comes my favorite part of modeling. SANDING!!!! I love sanding the hull. Nothing has a more transformational effect than sanding. To me it is like taking a bunch of glued together sticks and magically transforming them to a smoothed, carved beautiful hull....

The Montanes was very difficult to plank for me. Severe curves coupled with thick walnut strips made the job very tedious. I think I broke about 10 strips during the process which was a record for me. Anyways, I want to put in the window frames and a couple of repairs and then the sanding will begin. I think the finished hull is going to come out beautiful, but will require a lot of sanding.

So, now on to the fun part......

IMG_7520.jpgIMG_7549.jpgIMG_7562.jpgIMG_7564.jpgIMG_7565.jpgIMG_7561.jpg

Wow, That is a very severe bend in the stern that would be very difficult for anyone to plank! I know I would have a lot of trouble with it!
Yeah, I will have to cut out and replace a couple of boards....but I am going to try and repair with wood vs. a lot of wood putty.....we will see. but yeah, I thought it was a difficult plank job as well.

Back