Montanes by OcCre Build Log

I hear you, but I still think that it would be a little easier if the planks were not as wide.

Here is a pic of the quality problems I had with the Amati copper plates. I would advise anyone to go through all their packs completely and don't do like I did and assume they are all the same. The 2 sheets in the pic came out of the same pack.IMG_7713.JPG

Unfortunately, I had used a lot of the discolored plates before I realized it. (it was late, and after awhile, they are look alike).

I am considering to discolor the entire hull with copper patina solution.

https://a.co/d/ddtMQ8i

Any thoughts?

I built this years ago and did not have any problems. since then I have helped three more builders to build it.
USE FILLER BLOKA, NOT ONLY ON THE BOW (STEAM) AND STEARN, BUT THE WHOLE SHIP FROM THE KEEL UP TO THE LOVER GUNPORTS. THIS WILL GIVE YOU A MUCH BETTER PLANKING. Could you TAKE IN MIND, THAT NEARLY EACH PLANK WILL HAVE TO CUT SOMEWHAT?
EL CAPI

Definitely these sheathing / sheets is looking good
If you recognize it early enough, often it is good to mix the different colours - so that you have a checkered appearance
With some time it will look very good - so I am not sure when it will be the best time to protect the sheathing, or if it should be protected

1727189719970.png

1727189761878.png

and later

1727189826537.png

Definitely these sheathing / sheets is looking good
If you recognize it early enough, often it is good to mix the different colours - so that you have a checkered appearance
With some time it will look very good - so I am not sure when it will be the best time to protect the sheathing, or if it should be protected

View attachment 472743

View attachment 472744

and later

View attachment 472747
Nice pics....I agree, I am not so worried about the color variation as before.....the more I dig into it...the more I am leaning toward adding a green patina and then sealing the hull. Looking at various products/processes now.

Finally at a point for another update. The copper plating is completed and I have painted the upper parts of the hull.

IMG_7780.JPGIMG_7777.JPGIMG_7787.jpgIMG_7789.jpgIMG_7788.jpg

I have a couple more cleanup passes on the paint, then I intend to put on a satin finish topcoat.

I am still undecided how to leave the copper plates. Do I leave natural and let oxidize on it's own, do I put on a clear topcoat to try and keep new and shiny or do I use some patina acid and green it up???? I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

After cleaning up the pain, I plan to move on and start to build out the bow and stern.

Back