MY BLUENOSE- YUANQING SCALE 1:72 SCALE [COMPLETED BUILD]

I sure hope you're speaking for yourself; my Bluenose build is scaring the living daylights out of me...
Hello Johan, I do not understand just why you say that. I would suggest that you just go slow, think of what you are doing, do one thing at a time and do think ahead. The YQ-Bluenose is a very fine kit, things are a bit small so go lightly. There is no rush, building a model ship is not a job, but a very enjoyable hobby that will wedel away the hours.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Johan, I do not understand just why you say that. I would suggest that you just go slow, think of what you are doing, do one thing at a time and do think ahead. The YQ-Bluenose is a very fine kit, things are a bit small so go lightly. There is no rush, building a model ship is not a job, but a very enjoyable hobby that will wedel away the hours.
Regards Lawrence
Hey Lawrence,
It's not that I don't enjoy myself building the Bluenose, it's more that (I did mention that before) I severely lack in experience, so I try to take my time, try to think ahead, just to make sure my model turns out as good as I can get it. What kind of scares me are the almost infinite number of errors I can make; that makes me a little anxious about the final result.
Still, it's a great PoF build of one of the most beautiful ships ever to sail the seas and I'll make sure to present my build progress and of course the final result, because one thing is certain: I wíll finish this build.
Johan

Hi Laurence,
I understand Johan's frustrations.
That this is a great kit in terms of material, I do not share it I
am getting more and more frustrated with the soot in the wood
In addition, there are huge color differences in the wood
The knocked-out wood parts with soot can be removed, but if I wood have to start painting , (which I already really dislike), and the soot still shows through in the paint after 4x painting, (and believe me I have tried different paints.) then the fun starts to wear off

Last night the slats for took the planking out of the box, and looked so dirty that I put everything back in the box and cleaned everything up.
I know price/quality ratio, but if this annoys me I'd rather pay a little more next time

For the time being I don't know if I will continue, I'm a bit done with it at the moment
Regards

Henk

Hi Laurence,
The knocked-out wood parts with soot can be removed, but if I wood have to start painting , (which I already really dislike), and the soot still shows through in the paint after 4x painting, (and believe me I have tried different paints.) then the fun starts to wear off

Last night the slats for took the planking out of the box, and looked so dirty that I put everything back in the box and cleaned everything up.
I know price/quality ratio, but if this annoys me I'd rather pay a little more next time

For the time being I don't know if I will continue, I'm a bit done with it at the moment
Regards

Henk
See my build log for my response.

Hi Laurence,

Regards

Henk
Hang in there Henk, the deck beams are CNC cut...no char! No one likes char, but it is the price we pay for precision in wood...until manufacturers go to all CNC! ;)

Hi Laurence,

Regards

Henk

Hi Laurence,

Regards

Henk
Hello Henk, I can understand your frustration with all of that char, it is for sure very time consuming and annoying at times. My finger tips are still sour from all of work in removing the char from all of those hull frames. It is also very dirty and requires a lot of clean up. I find that at this 1:72 scale the parts are very tiny and do require a lot of tender loving care to put it mildly. I have just finishes building the stern fantail and it took me several tries to do so. I know that it is not perfect but I feel that I can live with it.
I have not tried to paint over the excess char left on the wood, I would try a sealer or maybe a thin coat of shellac. Another solution would to ask Dean as he has already been there and I am sure he would give you a few pointers.
Above all do not give up as you are doing such a great job on your YQ-Bluenose, maybe put her away for a few days and do something else for a few days may help.
Regards Lawrence

Hang in there Henk, the deck beams are CNC cut...no char! No one likes char, but it is the price we pay for precision in wood...until manufacturers go to all CNC! ;)
Hello Dean, Sounds like the deck beams are a blessing in them selves with no Char. Yes a fully CNC kid would be very nice for sure but I would think it would drive up the price making it to expensive to buy, not sure on that.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Henk, I can understand your frustration with all of that char, it is for sure very time consuming and annoying at times. My finger tips are still sour from all of work in removing the char from all of those hull frames. It is also very dirty and requires a lot of clean up. I find that at this 1:72 scale the parts are very tiny and do require a lot of tender loving care to put it mildly. I have just finishes building the stern fantail and it took me several tries to do so. I know that it is not perfect but I feel that I can live with it.
I have not tried to paint over the excess char left on the wood, I would try a sealer or maybe a thin coat of shellac. Another solution would to ask Dean as he has already been there and I am sure he would give you a few pointers.
Above all do not give up as you are doing such a great job on your YQ-Bluenose, maybe put her away for a few days and do something else for a few days may help.
Regards Lawrence
Absolutely correct Lawrence... a quick coat of clear on the char surfaces prior to painting, stops any char bleed through when you paint over it. ;) However without a grey primer coat, any light colored paint (like white) will still require multiple coats of paint.

Absolutely correct Lawrence... a quick coat of clear on the char surfaces prior to painting, stops any char bleed through when you paint over it. ;) However without a grey primer coat, any light colored paint (like white) will still require multiple coats of paint.
Hello Dean, Yes I thought that that was the answer to the char blead trough, but wanted to check with you. Have you told this to Henk?
Regards Lawrence

Hello Laurence and Dean,

Thankx Laurence for your advice and your kind words

Thanx Dean for your advice, I had never heard of this before, will investigate whether this can be found in the Netherlands

Meanwhile I have spoken a lot with Peter and Johan, a good conversation can be helpful

The dip has gone away now, a combination of too many private things at once on my path which has all been resolved

Now started again this week and also enjoyed the spring weather in the sun
I will post a few pictures on my post of the progress

Regards Henk

Hello Ship Mates, Well the little fellows and I have had a rather trying week building the stern extension on our YQ-Bluenose. every time we put it together we se a different problem. Hence we have unglued it 4 or 5 times now maybe more. We have gotten it to this stage now, it's not prefect I know but I feel that we can live wit it. We have started working on the two bow filler pieces of the hull frames, let us hope we have a little more luck with these.

Regards LawrenceIMG_6119.JPGIMG_6120.JPGIMG_6121.JPG

Back