My FIRST build: Krick Borkum with MSM 3" Clyde Steam Plant [COMPLETED BUILD]

John, As Canada and Australia have suspended postal services until I don't know when, my steam plant is stuck at the Airport in Melbourne. I thought I would convert it to electric until the plant arrives. What do you recommend for a "engine and connection" while I wait. I have all the radios and servos. Might get some shakedown cruising before. Any ideas on what would be good for the Borkum? DerekView attachment 153570

If you go to page 4 of my build it describes what I did, I will attach a link to take you there, just love the Dragon flag and the figure head, just be careful you don't get any Leeks ;););),

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...gine-built-from-stuart-turner-cas.1568/page-4

Happy sailing,

best regards John,

Thanks for the link - will use the info as I purchase the new "bits" to keep me busy and hopefully get on the water. I just heard from Australian Post that my steam plant that has been waiting at the airport for 6 weeks is now being sent to a sea container for its journey to Canada. Not sure I will see it for the summer sailing season. Damn COVID-19 but my problems pale in comparison to the woe and loss of life world-wide. A tragedy that hopefully will end soon. Be safe, social distance when boating... again thanks for the advice, John. Derek

As my long wait for my steam machine gets longer, I decided I wanted to get on the water and try this baby out. I converted it to electric for the time being and decided to add some "cargo" to hid the modern bits a little. Waiting for a servo extension cable to arrive Friday then will test it in the pool in my backyard, then off to the pond where the club I joined has privileges. Will keep you posted on it's shake-down cruise.2020-06-24 21.39.53.jpg2020-06-24 21.39.07.jpg

Last edited:
It was indeed. I am enjoying the early stages of boat building for sure. My time in the summer switches to cottage maintenance, barbecues and fun so the workshop will open up in the fall. Hope to use the summer time playing with the RC part of the hobby. And learning more about the steam side of the boat when it arrives. As Australia is opposite winter now, do you "build" all year round or is it seasonal? Cheers
Derek

Just a quick update - surprise surprise my MSM steam plant arrived 4 months late and I have now changed the boat from electric to steam. Just going through a refit and learning more about steam and how I will control it in my boat (Cariad). Have not fitted the plant to the propeller shaft. Working on whether I do a dog clutch, straight coupler or universal joint. Also working on the placement of the servo or best results - if any one has suggestions, all most welcome. Also what is a good servo horn to use? Thanks Derek
cariad2020v1.jpglagging.pngPwllheliCymru.png

Hi Morfa!

They got themselves a big, heavy boat. They've made it nice and cozy.

P8210302.JPG
Borkum hull, the rest is self-built and glass fibre reinforced. Stable as a tank. Running time 45 minutes. Weight with built-in ballast below deck - heavy.

P8210303.JPG
Clutch and engine control. Ruder horns Nylon.

P8210305.JPG
Gas and steamflow manually controlled.

P8210306.JPG
Rudder control.

Against this boat, my other projects are matchboxes.

With best regards
Thomas

Absolutely love this. Makes me want to get another kit and adapt. I just put this on my wish list. Tell me more where you got you universal joint from steam plant to propeller shaft? Your lines are so clean and what type of wood did you use for the decking? Let's stay in touch - great work!
Envious Derek

Hi Derek!

The lower engine deck is lime wood. The remaining planks are pine. Around the boiler is extra coarse pine wood. It shrinks a little when heated and expands again after cooling. I used cheap wood for this. The rest of the ship is even visible plywood and some beech.

The clutch is from Krick and compensates angle deviations and height differences if available.

I am lucky - in my region there are still a few shops which have almost everything for the hobby different versions in stock.

With best regards
Thomas

I love knowing more about wood. Going to check out my salesperson at Krick and get one, clutch that is.
I came to Canada in 1950 but was born in Hannover during the British Control Commission era.
(Scottish/Welsh parents)

I feel a little German and have visited often.
Cheers,
Derek

As I said to my facebook friends and those on this forum —

Well after a little leak in my "oiler", tightening all the pipes and quick fix from the local brass fitter I finally got my boat in the water (all be it my pool) to do a test.
Have to rework the throttle as reverse is weak and not getting full power I think the little Clyde can do.

But - very happy , and thanks for all the encouragement.
Hope to hit the pond this week before the it ices up - hahaha.
Love my country Canada, just gets cold too early.

Derek

Neptune/Torpart et al,
Thanks, and thanks for all your help.
Could not have done it during those lonely COVID-19 isolation days without your build(s) and helpful comments.
To say I am hooked is an understatement. Want to build a few more smaller boats then look at a semi scratch project in the 38-42 inch range. Something long, slim and elegant (open cockpit) but all steam.

I think I like the build 70% and sailing on the water 30%.

Derek

Enjoyed a wonderful Fall evening at the pond - the boat performed well. Three 10 minutes sessions on steam power.
She is a little bow heavy and will need to look at adding ballast in the stern to correct.
But all is good and looking forward to my next build - hopefully the Whaleboat I talked about.

Clear sailing to all
Derek

wonderful model - I am very happy for you and congratulations
I am looking forward to see your next project....

And so it begins...

Please join me in the build of the Borkum (which has been done many times before). My nickname for her will be "Cariad" meaning darling/love in welsh. As this is my first build I
ask "silly" questions to gather your input, please feel free to give any advice and/or criticism. All welcome.

First thing I did was unpack the box from Germany and organized the parts in my office/workshop. Next task is to number all the pieces as per the instructions then put together/glue the base and begin my journey - As they say "Excelsior" which translates as "Onward and upward"

Derek Ellis, north of the 49th parallel
... locked in my workshop until further notice ...

hope I can

Hallo Derek, alias @morfa
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back