My ignorant questions about ships and model building

In plain English all those structures on the rear of the ship are window sets for the interior cabins. Usually these are larger cabins for ship's Captains and Admirals of the fleet. One section of the window gallery would be a toilet for the Captain...it sticks out from the hull so waste drops straight down to the sea. Different ship styles show these feature more clearly than the picture you posted. There are few (if any) ship models with open hulls with parts to model detailed interiors. However many modelers do this by what is called kit bashing or scratch build. Kit bashing is using a kit for the basic model then modifying everything to creat your own details. Scratch is doing the same but without a kit for a base. There are kits that show open frame work...some are really complex but just show the frames...you would still need to add your own interior parts. Hope this helps a bit...

Hi Grindre you mentioned you like ships "higher the better" in the back. I think in general the older a ship is (1500s) the higher the poop deck will be. I think that look pretty much disappeared by the mid 18th century.

As far as cutaway ships, I just finished (last month) a cutaway of the Soleil Royal. You can see the log here: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/mantua-sergal-soleil-royal-cutaway.5120/

With mast and rigging it would indeed be a feat but if it is just the hull, couldn't he just build a normal POF model and cut it lengthwise in the middle of the keel on a big band-saw? As a "side effect" he would even get 2 half's :p

I stumbled over this kit, half ship in Admiralty style: https://modelshipyard.ru/product/mayflower-150-polovinka/
That's not what I'm looking for. I just want a 'hole' in the side of the ship displaying some of the innards.

Hi all,
I'm looking for advise and expertise knowledge.
How were ship hulls really planked? In pieces along the length of the ship hull or done in one long strip of wood the whole length? I've noticed that 'us' modelers use one long strip/plank most of the time.
I've seen both done and to me, piecing it together looks far better rather than one long strip/plank.
So, how did they do it?

So, how did they do it?
There is probably an entire thread on that topic around here somewhere. The short answer is yes.... shorter pieces of planking in a staggered fashion with butt joints at the frame points. Some modelers use a single strip then draw in the joints with a pencil. Others use individual pieces. Still others only use a single long piece. Depending on the scale of the model the planks would be so small you could not see the joints anyway so it all depends. "Builders Choice" applies here...

Planking in general on model ships is for visual appearance only and rarely ever to scale. Thank you @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Back