Workshops My shipyard/your shipyard

Thanks, Doc.
My wife & I lived in Waukegan for the three years that I was an instructor for the Basic Electronics School. When my enlistment ended 1970, we moved to Milwaukee and lived there for 25 years then we moved to Chapel Hill NC in 1995 and we are still here.
That's awesome SAHaskell great to know a fellow modeler out here in NC, I have just recently moved here form the Island of Puerto Rico. I work in chapel hill at the ENT Office in MeadowMont village circle or worked until recently where I have been transferred to Cary ENT. I still go up there every few days when they need me. I do have to ask are there any clubs that you know of or any ship or car modelling shows, It would be nice to meet up one day at one.

-Bu66l3s

Here's my shopyard..
rwHK7Af.jpg

pzK3Acb.jpg

Drill press, grinder and sander...and dead clock.
MjamRE7.jpg

part of stash, scroll saw, jigsaw table, bandsaw, airbrush/compressor, various tool accessories
WxEx03A.jpg

The 3 piece spar deck is all that is cemented together. In the process of cutting planks. I'll post a build log under plastic models when I get building for anyone interested.
SyArYil.jpg

There is also a couple of multi-drawer units for paints/tape/brass and styrene/wire etc.

Here's my shopyard..
rwHK7Af.jpg

pzK3Acb.jpg

Drill press, grinder and sander...and dead clock.
MjamRE7.jpg

part of stash, scroll saw, jigsaw table, bandsaw, airbrush/compressor, various tool accessories
WxEx03A.jpg

The 3 piece spar deck is all that is cemented together. In the process of cutting planks. I'll post a build log under plastic models when I get building for anyone interested.
SyArYil.jpg

There is also a couple of multi-drawer units for paints/tape/brass and styrene/wire etc.
I'm surprised you get any work done with that calendar hanging there.... ROTF

Today I made the drawer cabinet below, 4 drawers and above it a place for the sorting boxes.
The drawers are still empty and when the admiral asked what I was going to use them for, I said: for my tools that are yet to be purchased. Now that's a statement the admiral wasn't waiting for..... ROTFROTFROTF

IMG_4319.JPG

The rest on top of the table

IMG_4318.JPGIMG_4320.JPGIMG_4321.JPGIMG_4322.JPGIMG_4323.JPGIMG_4324.JPG

I have to say that these drawer boxes on your workbench do help keep things somewhat tidy. I also taught myself to put what I used back in its place as well. I am glad I solved it this way. The drawers I added last day were old wine boxes. I cut them in half and used a lot of scrap wood from crates to make the frame.
The next thing I'm going to make is for my photos. I have a green canvas (fourth photo) and I want to stretch it into a frame that consists of 3 parts. I can then fold that up and put it away or put it down as needed.

Today I made the drawer cabinet below, 4 drawers and above it a place for the sorting boxes.
The drawers are still empty and when the admiral asked what I was going to use them for, I said: for my tools that are yet to be purchased. Now that's a statement the admiral wasn't waiting for..... ROTFROTFROTF

View attachment 433017

View attachment 433016View attachment 433018View attachment 433019View attachment 433020View attachment 433021View attachment 433022

I have to say that these drawer boxes on your workbench do help keep things somewhat tidy. I also taught myself to put what I used back in its place as well. I am glad I solved it this way. The drawers I added last day were old wine boxes. I cut them in half and used a lot of scrap wood from crates to make the frame.
The next thing I'm going to make is for my photos. I have a green canvas (fourth photo) and I want to stretch it into a frame that consists of 3 parts. I can then fold that up and put it away or put it down as needed.
along with the all important toaster oven ! ROTF
A man's got to eat !

@Steef66, Question, what is your experience with your scheppac band saw, is it precise enough for ex planks and what thickness of material can be saw.
Greetings Knut
Good experience, need a good adjustment before you start, but then it works perfect in a small workshop. Max thickness I can use is 10 cm. But when it is hardwood it takes time. And it is precise to cut planks. I Cut cherry cheats of 1,5 mm x 80 mm x 600 mm. with it and that works fine for me. I made some jigs to hold the wood in place.
I have to say that I also balanced the wheels (the top wheel) because it was not very stable in the beginning. There are video's on YouTube how to do that. After that it cuts even more precise. The table shakes no more. So after some extra adjustments you have a good saw for a low price. (I see on second hand market this one around 100 Euro) New around 200 euro.
There are better machines on the market, more expensive of course. But for this price it's a very good machine.

View attachment 433017

View attachment 433016View attachment 433018View attachment 433019View attachment 433020View attachment 433021View attachment 433022

I see a lot of goodies tucked in those nooks and crannies.

I built a desk at the last house when I had a dedicated space. We moved and it is now shared with my wood shop in the garage. Too cold to work in there now so I have a portable tray that I keep in the mudroom and bring in to the kitchen when the Admiral is out.
IMG_2621.jpeg
That’s the desk with lots of drawers and 2 pull out shelves.

IMG_2622.jpeg
Tucked away in the garage.

IMG_2619.jpeg

My current work area
Dave

IMG_2620.jpeg

Yeah its a nice table @Don long story short I was looking for a hobby table at thrift shops couldn't find one that drew my attention took my daughter to a party at a friends and long behold this wonderful table was waiting for me at the exit some one had thrown it away and it is in perfect conditions couldn't let that deal go. Funny thing after I took it home found another neat table that has folding edges so now there are 2.

Well here is my little movable shipyard cleaned up a bit after completing the Lowell GB Dory. Have my next project in the yard not sure which yet (rigging?), but it’s there . Well that’s my little corner simple and reliable.
View attachment 434181
And definitely you need a cutting mat - green coloured -> your table will be happy, that the surface will be protected

Back