Workshops My shipyard/your shipyard

Hello everyone. This is my shipyard in a relatively tidy state. There are some truly magnificent shipyards out there. Thank you for sharing. One thing stands out - if you want to build models you will find a way to do it even with limited space. I had been putting off starting up in this hobby again until I had the right tools and place to do it but then I saw the Bismarck collecting dust under my bed and I was busting to see if I could fix it or not and the bug I had as a child and then lost caught me badly and it won't let go. This is such a great hobby and I am sure everyone who does it feels great satisfaction in solving problems and fixing mistakes and ending up with a lovely model. Is there ever a perfect build? Maybe, maybe not but I have found building and learning is very rewarding and therapeutic. Happy building to you all:)

20240211_084731.jpg

G'day Shipmates,

I have just finished visiting all the wonderful ship yards in this section, from the humble to the dream workshops and I wish to contribute some photos of my workshop after a major rearrangement and tidy up, most of these photos were taken in 2019.
My shipyard is not connected to the house.

View attachment 222162View attachment 222163View attachment 222164View attachment 222165View attachment 222166View attachment 222167View attachment 222168View attachment 222169View attachment 222170View attachment 222171View attachment 222172View attachment 222174

View attachment 222175

I am running out of space for machines so I started making trolleys for the small machines these can be easily wheeled into place for use then wheeled back when not in use, that's the plan anyway....
View attachment 222176

This photo shows the bench in it's normal state, mainly highlighting the vertical draw for proxxon tools, this photo shows the draw in next photo with draw out.
View attachment 222177View attachment 222178

Home made storage for cutting bits.
View attachment 222182

View attachment 222181

Cheers,
Stephen.
Dremel Land!

Since my kids are all gone I have a wealth of space in the house. A workshop for building and a study for writing (and flying on the simulator of course).

If there is anything that makes me jealous, seeing all your wonderful workshops, it is the neatness and the discipline they show. I'm a bum. My wife is not even allowed to enter my workshop (and she is very happy not having to visit me there).

There are a few things I would like to point out. As my eyes are getting worse (a beginning of cataract), I need a lot of light. So I bought me a strip of aluminium (4 mm thick, 4 cm wide), screwed that on both sides to my working table and pasted in three strips of led lights (the brightest one I could get). Total costs about 50 Euros. It gives me a wonderful bright light on my work. (Only the neighbours complaint that I live in a lighthouse.)
View attachment 290304 View attachment 290308 View attachment 290311 View attachment 290312
I have a lath, which can also be used as a table saw. I won it long ago in a contest.
View attachment 290305
My pride and joy is my workbench. It's a massive beech bench with two vices. When I was still teaching wood and metalwork it was my residence and I was allowed to take it with me when I left to work for the Rijksmuseum. On it I stashed a Dremel saw, a vertical drill and sander. That's it. Since I work in paper I hardly use them, perhaps I should get rid of them, just like my wood stack underneath the bench, but I can't (yet).
View attachment 290306
Furthermore it's a total mess. Models pile up and I don't clean (enough). And for a reason. The only time I cannot find what I am looking for as after I cleaned up (a bit).
View attachment 290307 View attachment 290314 View attachment 290315

Don't tell me that you can spot my careless behavior in my models. I simply have some different kind of discipline. Perhaps once I will learn to clean my mess, but if I were you, I would not hold my breath..

View attachment 290313
Nice xebeck on the shelf there let’s see some pictures

Haha, that's not a Xebeck on the shelf. It's just an experiment to prove that the galleys built by the Dutch around 1600 were of a different type than the Spanish one, which were waiting to attack from Bruges. It ended in the battle of Sluis in 1603, when the Spanish were beaten.
Never finished the model because I thought I proved my point, but it is looking at me in an accusing way....
Schermafbeelding 2024-02-11 om 22.06.50.png Schermafbeelding 2020-02-29 om 08.52.02.png
Schermafbeelding 2024-02-11 om 22.10.34.png

Sorry to highjack someone else's thread.

Last edited:
Haha, that's not a Xebeck on the shelf. It's just an experiment to prove that the galleys built by the Dutch around 1600 were of a different type than the Spanish one, which were waiting to attack from Bruges. It ended in the battle of Sluis in 1606, when the Spanish were beaten.
Never finished the model because I thought I proved my point, but it is looking at me in an accusing way....
View attachment 427260 View attachment 427261
View attachment 427262

Feel free to hijack Ab. It is a nice diversion.

Haha, that's not a Xebeck on the shelf. It's just an experiment to prove that the galleys built by the Dutch around 1600 were of a different type than the Spanish one, which were waiting to attack from Bruges. It ended in the battle of Sluis in 1606, when the Spanish were beaten.
View attachment 427262

Very nice love the colours

View attachment 427262

FB_IMG_1707755888790.jpg
I think this is a painting of that war

It looks a bit like it, thank you Steef. This picture however represents the Battle of the Haarlemmermeer (1573), not the Battle of Sluis (1603). I had an original specification contract for the Dutch galleys and thought I could fill the details and the gaps in my knowledge by using contemporary paintings like the one you show here. It turned out that the painters had extremely productive thumbs to suck from and I had to abandon the project because I could not fill my ignorance with the images they presented (on some of them a large broadside of guns was painted below the rowers, which was totally impossible and conflicting with the sources). See here below:

Schermafbeelding 2024-02-12 om 18.50.55.png

My purpose however was just to show that according to the contract the Dutch version was way different (and much simpler to build) than the Spanish one, in contradiction to what a well-known modern scholar presented in a book about the subject. I was satisfied with the model I had, but it keeps staring at me and it still seems to force me to carry on with the build. Perhaps one day....

Not much written about the battle of Sluis in the Threedecks web-page

1707809861006.png

The same info + data about ships we find here

but on the dutch wikipedia are much more information available

Back