Workshops My shipyard/your shipyard

No, not extremely much and there is even less about the ships used in 1603. Some time earlier a Spanish galley was chased up the beach near Dunkirk by a Dutch fleet.
RP-P-1910-2221 galei op strand gejaagd kopie 4.jpg

The Dutch government immediately ordered the dimensions to be recorded. Those measurements were the data used in the specification contract they sent to several Dutch cities, ordering them to build a galley to fight the Spanish with comparable weapons. Dr. Lehmann, who made a life-long study of galleys gave a reconstruction of those vessels, entirely copied from the Spanish example.

galei.jpg

galei 2.jpg

No matter how much I appreciated the late dr. Lehmann's study, I found it hard to believe that Dutch shipbuilders were able to create such flamboyant vessels far beyond their building traditions in not more than a few months time. In my opinion they simply followed their own traditions and created a Dutch version with a flat bottom and a flat tuck, just as the contract prescribed. A vessel like that was less impressive than the Spanish example, but just as effective in our waters.
Which was made credible by my model (I think).
Well, it's all just playing around...

The question remains, Uwe, why not finishing the model?
Well, several painters reported about the battle in paintings or etchings and much to my disappointment none of them agreed with the others about the looks of the ships. Sometimes they did not even agree with themselves. On one picture the ships had one mast, on others there were two. On one the fore mast was square-rigged, on the other latin-rigged. Some pictures show armament only in the front part (a galley was actually a big floating gun-carriage, aiming was done with the rudder of the ship.), others show guns below the rowers or even between them. I get the impression that these painters (Aert Anthoniszn, Andries Eertveldt, Hans Rem, Cornelis Claez van Wieringen, Hendrick Vroom) might have seen the ships from a distance, but filled in the details with a lot of imagination, supported with their knowledge of Spanish galleys. At least, I could not come to a agreement between the different images. The main problem was that many of these painters only made their paintings decennia after the actual event. I did not give myself the time to work it all out, because I assumed that I made my point building the Dutch-style hull.

I assumed that I made my point building the Dutch-style hull.
I think you made a good point. What I learned about Dutch shipbuilding is that these shipbuilders learned building ships by practise and from father to son or master to pupil. And they are build ships on their way how they learned it. Looking to the pictures I see something of a statenjacht with the extra rowing part on top. That's how I see this. And I agree that the painting is not telling much. For example I only see a mizzen mast on the Spanish Galleons. And it was around that time very common that on Spanish Galleons also a Bonaventura mast was present. That could be, because you mentioned these painter make these paintings decades later when 3 masters are common. That will also tell something about the masts of the Dutch galleys.

No, not extremely much and there is even less about the ships used in 1603. Some time earlier a Spanish galley was chased up the beach near Dunkirk by a Dutch fleet.
View attachment 427569

The Dutch government immediately ordered the dimensions to be recorded. Those measurements were the data used in the specification contract they sent to several Dutch cities, ordering them to build a galley to fight the Spanish with comparable weapons. Dr. Lehmann, who made a life-long study of galleys gave a reconstruction of those vessels, entirely copied from the Spanish example.

View attachment 427570

View attachment 427571

No matter how much I appreciated the late dr. Lehmann's study, I found it hard to believe that Dutch shipbuilders were able to create such flamboyant vessels far beyond their building traditions in not more than a few months time. In my opinion they simply followed their own traditions and created a Dutch version with a flat bottom and a flat tuck, just as the contract prescribed. A vessel like that was less impressive than the Spanish example, but just as effective in our waters.
Which was made credible by my model (I think).
Well, it's all just playing around...
Good morning Ab Hoving, I am fascinated by this topic, can these images (from web) help? Frank

ccc.jpg

ccc1.jpg

Hello @Frank48 , these beautiful drawings certainly are helpful if you want to build a Mediterranean galley. They clearly show that such ships could not be built in a few months time by a shipbuilder who is used to build completely different vessels.
But my focus was on the short time the Dutch built galleys to defend themselves from Spanish ones. I'm afraid looking for drawings of that period is a waste of time.

Hello @Frank48 , these beautiful drawings certainly are helpful if you want to build a Mediterranean galley. They clearly show that such ships could not be built in a few months time by a shipbuilder who is used to build completely different vessels.
But my focus was on the short time the Dutch built galleys to defend themselves from Spanish ones. I'm afraid looking for drawings of that period is a waste of time.
Hi Ab Hoving, Thank you for your reply.Frank

this is my other workshop where I make millwork to pay for all the toys

Looks like we had similar paths in model building. 50+ years in model aircraft also. I know what you mean regarding paying for the "Toys" $25,000 for a turbine aircraft. Fortunately I had a very happy sixty years with a understanding wife. :)

Here here ,it can get away from you real fast. 2 years ago in one weekend I crashed 2 jets 52,000.00 dollars burned to the ground.
ships are so much better for the pocket book and the wife is much happier.

Ooof!! And my wife cringes when I crash the helis...

Back