New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways - 1/16 - by JeffT [COMPLETED BUILD]

Jeff, I am glad you are yet another one who has proven my philosophy about small boats. It doesn't have to be a three-masted, highly decorated model to be gorgeous! Congrats on your fine job modeling the Whaleboat!
Thanks, Jim.

My New Bedford Whaleboat is complete.

This was a challenging but enjoyable build. I expanded my abilities to fashion parts from stock wood with a model at a fairly large scale. I like that Model Shipways does not supply all laser cut pieces but expects the modeler to make many of the parts from strip wood using the full-size plans as a guide to much of the build. I would not recommend this as a first build or for the new modeler.

With that said, thanks to all of those that have commented on the build and provided feedback. Enjoy the final pictures.

View attachment 358707View attachment 358708View attachment 358709View attachment 358710View attachment 358711View attachment 358712View attachment 358713View attachment 358714View attachment 358715View attachment 358717View attachment 358718View attachment 358719View attachment 358720View attachment 358721View attachment 358722View attachment 358723View attachment 358724View attachment 358725View attachment 358726View attachment 358727View attachment 358728View attachment 358731View attachment 358729View attachment 358730
Good Afternoon Jeff. Bravo an awesome little boat with a multitude of details. Well done. Cheers Grant

Good Afternoon Jeff. Bravo an awesome little boat with a multitude of details. Well done. Cheers Grant
Thanks, Grant. As for "little boat", it's built at 1/16 scale so the stem to stern length is 21" (533 mm). Small in the sense the actual boat would be about 28 feet (8.5 m).

Congratulation - A very fine and well build model
Great overall appearance

Oh, my goodness- this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! But reviewing this whole build makes me question whether I'm way in over my head with this kit... I'm basically close to a beginner level ship modeler- and this looks way over my head. Wondering if I should sell my kit....

Oh, my goodness- this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! But reviewing this whole build makes me question whether I'm way in over my head with this kit... I'm basically close to a beginner level ship modeler- and this looks way over my head. Wondering if I should sell my kit....
Thanks for the complement. While this a detailed build that can be made more or less exacting and realistic based on the builder's abilities. For instance, I did not try to nail the hull boards and ribs in place since I thought it was beyond my skill level. The kit provides the brass "nails" to do this. The good news is that the scale is fairly large, so the fine details are actually doable. Just take your time, read logs from other builders and try to do your best.

Thanks for the complement. While this a detailed build that can be made more or less exacting and realistic based on the builder's abilities. For instance, I did not try to nail the hull boards and ribs in place since I thought it was beyond my skill level. The kit provides the brass "nails" to do this. The good news is that the scale is fairly large, so the fine details are actually doable. Just take your time, read logs from other builders and try to do your best.
Thanks so much for the encouragement, Jeff!! Greatly appreciated! And, as you said- it's large enough to be a little easier to work on. Gorgeous model!

Back