New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Hallo friends of the printed medium

I got a new delivery from my friend Didier Berti from ancre - oh I am so happy - many thanks for them

IMG-7498.jpg

english book and the plans
MONOGRAPHIE DU BOULLONGNE - V. Cie des Indes -1759
THE SHIPS OF THE "COMPAGNIE DES INDES" 1720 - 1770 People, Voyages, and Trade With complete plans of the timber works

and the english version

Monographie Barque LA SAVOIE - 1896

IMG-7499.jpg

SLAVE TRADE and SLAVE SHIPS in the XVIIIth century

book plus additional 9 plans of slave ships

IMG-7500.jpg

long awaited english translation of the booklet of the monograph

LA GEMMA - Tartane ligure 1863

You know, that I try to make as soon as possible book reviews and planset reviews, but unfortunately I have to go on a businesstrip for the next weeks, so it will take me until somehow November to publish them here in the forum..... so stay tuned

Again a new book, even if there is little time for me to read. This wreck, found near Newport in 2002, was completely unknown to me. The ship was built in northern Spain around 1450 and foundered during repairs in the port area of Newport around 1470. It is believed that it fell into English hands or was bought by the English. One possible owner may be the Earl of Warwick, as it is already in the upper range of tonnage with its 160 t.

Evan T. Jones & Richard Stone (eds.): The World of the Newport Medieval Ship. Trade, Politics and Shipping in the Mid-Fifteenth Century. 2018. 276 p. Softcover

The book consists mostly of text, there are only a few images and is also a bit expensive at Amazon at € 36.50. But the research project needs a lot of money, so you can understand that in a way. Twelve authors contribute the results of their previous research, which of course does not only relate to the specific ship or its remains, but also place it in a larger political, economic and social context.

Newport1.jpg Newport2.jpg Newport3.jpg

Newport4.jpg Newport5.jpg

Some informative websites in the net:

https://www.newportship.org/discover-the-ship/guidebook

https://www.newportship.org/the-friends/newsletters

Very interesting video - and it looks like an interesting read -> many thanks for sharing with us
Yes, but one must keep in mind, that it is not a book written for modellers. I shared it because of the historical value of the wreck. It seems to be the most important find of the period (mid 15th century). The recontruction of the hull is very reliable and leads to the question of whether the proportions of the Mataro Model are possibly distorted. Both, the Newport Ship and the Mataro Model are of spanish origin.

Greetings, Hartmut

Dutch shipbuilding in the 17th century.
Two books, in Dutch, referenced to frequently, see herewith also posts of Ab Hoving.
1) Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw-konst open gestelt by Cornelius van Yk
2) Aloude en Hedendaegsche Scheepsbouw en Bestier by Nicolaes Witsen
Both books can be found on various websites, but this website is rather friendly in getting yourself a copy; https://archive.org
As stated before, both books are in Dutch, but are also illustrated and I think the formulas are rather self-explanatory.
I was triggered into looking more into Dutch shipbuilding by the mention of the so-called "schalenbouw" or shell-first method and this is what I ended up with.

Enjoy!

8B07AC18-D0B3-433D-9FAA-9F6175D7F228.jpeg

956C5F8A-C8B6-4B79-879C-FFBC82532480.jpeg

I hole heartedly agree with you there, but the illustrations might be worth paging through.
Copper plate engravings are a wonder of detailed skilled craftsmanship that is only realized if you try to do one. I can spend hours looking at good ones. Rich (PT-2)

SHIP MODELS Their purpose and development from 1650 to the present by Brian Lavery and Simon Stephens
Many Thanks for showing us this interesting book.
We have also a look inside / book review of this book here in our forum:

Back