NEWS / ANNOUNCEMENTS / UPDATES

Hello Guys. I thought I would like to share something with you. Some of you have found that upon receiving your kits, the plastic container that contains all the small parts, was broken or cracked. I relayed this message to YuanQing and they reacted immediately. All the new kits going out will now be packaged in the following way:

微信图片_20210106091506.jpg微信图片_20210106091512.jpg

@yqmodel Xiuli - you are an absolute star ! Explosion Thumbsup

This is just another example of how attuned YuanQing is to the needs of their customers and SOS members. It really is a pleasure working with them in this great Bluenose adventure!

Something must have been wrong with my kit, as the plastic bin was unbroken when I received the kit.

The new method looks great, and makes for easy inventory.

Do you know when you will get translation of inventory sheets posted?

Hello Guys. I thought I would like to share something with you. Some of you have found that upon receiving your kits, the plastic container that contains all the small parts, was broken or cracked. I relayed this message to YuanQing and they reacted immediately. All the new kits going out will now be packaged in the following way:

View attachment 203677View attachment 203679

@yqmodel Xiuli - you are an absolute star ! Explosion Thumbsup

This is just another example of how attuned YuanQing is to the needs of their customers and SOS members. It really is a pleasure working with them in this great Bluenose adventure!
I have been thinking about the anchors in the kit for which I find three of the same size and style. Looking at both the forward post cathead there are no anchors visible while it was moored port side. Going into Bluenose II there is a series of deck layouts for the anchors on page 55 which is "working anchors and cables in fishing schooners" where we see at the port cathead - Club anchor with loose iron shank; flukes inboard of the railing with anchor chain flaked out abaft (aff) beside and behind the winch engine box, lashed down to the deck and remainder in a storage box for deployed depth use. On the starboard forward quarter aft of the clubhead railing isa Fishing or Banks anchor with the wooden stock across the railing and flukes vertically resting on the deck. A filmish coil of 300 to 400 fathoms of fishing anchor cable under a canvas cover. The free end it is noted that the f re end was sometimes bent to the jumbow halyard. (this is a mystery to me) The fishing (banks anchor) id shown as 6 ft across the flukes and with a wooden stock 11'-6" in length. and te top ring served with old rope. It is also noted that Bluenose II was fitted with a750 pound fisherman's anchor with loose iron stock. a 300 pound kedge anchor for a storm anchor and 150 fathoms of 1-1/8 inch diameter open link chain and shackles. An additional not related to the windlass includes: The windlass was replaced later by a Swann Hydraulic windlass. The original 750 poind anchor was found to drag in wind squalls in te West Indies and was replaced by a 1,000 pound Fisherman's anchor. The 750 pound anchor became the second anchor. the 1,000 pound anchor did not drag. There, we now now have three anchors with the last 750 pound anchor being the one that we see on the starboard deck aft of the windlass, secured down. End result seems to be one clubhead anchor port, one Fisherman's anchor starboard with the 11.5 ft. stock, and one 750 club head (folded to stock) on the deck. YQ builders may want to take one of the kit anchors as the large Fisherman's starboard anchor and make their own smaller club head anchors for port and starboard deck. No need to be tied down or anchored to these working accessories as you have plenty to do with the frames and other work. Rich

Hello Heinrich, The Bluenose Logo is very nice and handy but I like @Peter Voogt suggest that this be changed to the Bluenose and not that of the Bluenose II, Thank you very much.
Regards Lawrence

@Heinrich , he is referring to the badge that appears in the signature of group members,
I would second that, and may I suggest that the Bluenose badge be, dare I say it.....blue?

@Canoe21 Hi Lawrence. I am not sure what logo you are referring to?
@Heinrich , he is referring to the badge that appears in the signature of group members,
I would second that, and may I suggest that the Bluenose badge be, dare I say it....
Hello Heinrich Sorry for the confusion, But I was referring to the Bluenose build Logo as Eric and Peter have stated above. Yes I also would prefer blue. I have not got one as yet and it looks like I will soon have to start my Bluenose build. I can hardly contain my self but I am just trying to complete my Oliver Cromwell build due to my little Old Ship Yard.
Regards Lawrence

Last edited:
Hello everyone, first time on the post of Shipsofscale. Let me introduce myself. My name is Massimo and I was working in engineering for about 45 years and now enjoying retirement. I am also a professional model maker, having worked for many years in the architectural model making professionally as well..I enjoying making tall ships for many years from scratch and research. The reason I am writing this is that I have been commissioned to build the Bluenose II. I will start the building of the schooner in the middle of January. In the meantime I am doing a lot of research’s and collecting photos of the Bluenose II as it is now anchored in Lunemburg NS. I did contact ‘Dalhousy’ university library archives where all of the Bluenose drawings are stored. I am also in talks with the Bluenose official page office regarding measurements of various items on the schooner not ever put on paper. In short I found that there are a lot that has changed (i mean a lot) between the drawings and the Bluenose II in existance today. Today kits do not represent what in reality is in existance. Oh by the way I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Hallo @massimotocco
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Did you finally ordered the Bluenose?

Hello Everyone

YUANQING AND BLUENOSE

I thought I would just give you a brief summary of our progress during the last month, where we are as of today and what is in store for the future. To say that the last two months have been a rollercoaster for me, would not be out of place. I have been absolutely overwhelmed by the response on two different fronts: On the one hand, I could not - in my wildest dreams - have imagined that Bluenose would generate SUCH a response on this forum, on the other hand, I could not believe the co-operation that I got from YuanQing -and then Xiuli in particular - in bringing this kit to market.

When we started this venture, I asked Xiuli to put 30 x kits aside for our members, thinking that would be enough for the first few months. Well - to put that in perspective - we have dispatched a total of 25 x kits while two members have asked for their kits to be delivered only in the New Year. That is all great, but far more important to me was the issue of CREDIBILITY!

I believe I have established YuanQing as a credible company to work with and one which word is at all times their honor. In addition to that we have taken note of and listened to each and every suggestion you have made. Items like additional deck planking, different wood types, sail plans and the like will be addressed in the New Year. I am very happy with our payment system which has worked flawlessly and effectively, I am just as happy with our delivery system which seems to be as good as one is about to get it in current times. Sans three letters that were swapped around and @DonRobinson Don's wayward child (you will have one in every family! :)) everything went smoothly on that front. as well. In addition to all that, I believe we have set new standards in communicating with our customers and keeping them in the loop.

FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS

Work has already started on a follow-up project. Two priorities were identified for this model:

1. It had to be a subject that has never been modeled before.
2. It had to be as historically accurate as is humanly possible.

Other than tell you that it will be a POF build and that it will be quite a large model, there is not much more that I can say right now.

CHALLENGES:

We have just received the following communication from FedEx pertaining to deliveries in the UK: Hello. Please inform your customers in the UK that due to the severity of the outbreak of the epidemic in the UK, the local delivery will be delayed after the goods arrive. The specific delay depends on circumstances at that time.

As far as other areas are concerned, the situation is not much different: In addition, because of the negative general forecast about the pandemic, the time limit for the arrival and delivery of domestic express mail after delivery cannot be guaranteed. Please communicate this to your customers in advance.

I am really sorry to have that as the last piece of news, but it is what it is. All that is left from my side is to say: May you and your families have a blessed Christmas and may the year ahead be filled with happiness - but above all - with health. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your wonderful support and friendship - I am humbled. Now in the words of the famous starter at the Daytona 500 Nascar race:

"Gentlemen, Start your build logs!"

View attachment 200820

Heinrich
Hey Heinrich. Just checking in on the status of those keel and #8 parts. I know covid stuff is rampant over there but just figured I'd check!

Also forgive my ignorance of these types of sites. I know very little as to how these forums work or how to navigate them.
Hi Joe. I have sent you a Personal Message - which is the same platform you and I have always used in the past. Please let me know if you have not received the message.

Back