NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

My new toys arrived and I set them up and did a trial run. The saw took the most time to set up. I installed a fine blade, and did a cross cut and ripped a board to width.
What I chose was two pieces of equipment that can perform multiple tasks.
First the saw, which is actually a mini scroll saw… that has a rip fence and miter gauge. So I can do cross cuts, rip boards, cut angles, and do scroll saw work! So very versatile (scroll saw and table saw functions) and I will be putting it use soon! ;)
Second was the sander, which is a combination belt sander and disk sander…both have tilting tables for angles and a miter gauge for compound angles on the disk. In addition the guard for the belt is removable at the top to do drum sanding for internal radii. Once again, very versatile to meet all sanding needs!
I plan to use the disc sander and adjustable table to put the angled edge on my hull planks, each will have a different requirement as far as the angle goes. But I hope to ensure a tight fit of the planks this way. ;)
Pics…
View attachment 273069View attachment 273070
Dean your woodworking ability doesn’t require those.... my address is 15 Sea Pumpkin way Melkbosstrand Cape Town- I will pay shipping feesROTF .

Lol…well I’ve built a few ships without them, however I’m looking to make life a little easier in the near future. I need a mini lathe too. ;)
Agreed- before my next build which will be in a while the rate my Victory is going I will be adding these tools as well. PS your Norske Love decking is great. I enjoy the stain or finish you achieve. Good one.

Nice tools Dean. You know, craftmanship is not in the man's tools but in his hands....yours are fine! ;)Tools makes life easier. I like the disksander for example. One of my most favorite ones I have. Can't use it in the living room tho, somehow the captain don't like it....figure that.....:rolleyes:

Nice tools Dean. You know, craftmanship is not in the man's tools but in his hands....yours are fine! ;)Tools makes life easier. I like the disksander for example. One of my most favorite ones I have. Can't use it in the living room tho, somehow the captain don't like it....figure that.....:rolleyes:
Why....struggling to figure that one out....ROTF. You need to promote the Captain to Admiral then you may be able to use your sander in the living room... or notSpeechless

Next step…the wall at the bow. The instructions…
CD17FB16-052A-4F3D-AE72-C060BFDC2B7D.jpeg

The pieces…
768EA188-A6B5-476C-9972-8FE7DA3A2EAF.jpeg

The lower piece of the wall was glued on. And after the glue was fully cured, I sanded the opening to fit the bowsprit…

8F9DBCE5-B139-4F61-B2FE-F6A102A0FCB8.jpeg7A34F990-4566-4647-BFB6-6527B3E13C7A.jpeg

Then I soaked the wall plywood in hot water for about 5 minutes, then it was wiped do make sure it’s not dripping water, then I clamped it in place…
1DDF24C0-F117-432A-849F-05A2F8F59AE5.jpeg

I left it to dry for a few hours and then I marked the top to be sanded flush with the deck. A board will cap this later in the build. Then it was sanded and glued in place and clamped again to dry…
6BB1ECA6-60B8-477B-A8D9-6F4F69857F31.jpeg

The gap around the bow sprit will be closed tightly once I plank the wall, which is next…
4297B68A-256D-4869-A316-42D58E0C0B22.jpeg

After the wall is planked I will build doors and embellish the frames and they will go approximately here…
A43C61A8-00C3-47D8-8965-8B760883EF61.jpeg

As she sits now…
B9C508AA-38F1-4D31-89EB-CF31033A6A83.jpeg

Eventually when it’s time to start hull planking, these pieces will be added to thicken the keel, bow and stern for the boards to terminate. This is used instead of a rabbet.
94676FA0-05B8-41B9-BE96-2AFBF628636B.jpeg

Happy modeling! ;)

In your last picture you describe the three pieces - bow stern and keel to form the rabbet. Yesterday I placed the stern and after I have faired the bulkheads, I will add the centre keel as well which is essential to place the garboard and subsequent strakes nicely. But ... I do not fit the bow piece now - only after planking is complete. That way I can plank further around the bow and use a knife and file to create the exact slot that is needed for the bow piece. That ensures a perfect fit. Something to think about maybe.

My new toys arrived and I set them up and did a trial run. The saw took the most time to set up. I installed a fine blade, and did a cross cut and ripped a board to width.
What I chose was two pieces of equipment that can perform multiple tasks.
First the saw, which is actually a mini scroll saw… that has a rip fence and miter gauge. So I can do cross cuts, rip boards, cut angles, and do scroll saw work! So very versatile (scroll saw and table saw functions) and I will be putting it use soon! ;)
Second was the sander, which is a combination belt sander and disk sander…both have tilting tables for angles and a miter gauge for compound angles on the disk. In addition the guard for the belt is removable at the top to do drum sanding for internal radii. Once again, very versatile to meet all sanding needs!
I plan to use the disc sander and adjustable table to put the angled edge on my hull planks, each will have a different requirement as far as the angle goes. But I hope to ensure a tight fit of the planks this way. ;)
Pics…
View attachment 273069View attachment 273070
Dean, you made an excellent selection of multi-task tools and have a good bench for them to serve you. Rich

Next step…the wall at the bow. The instructions…
View attachment 273234

The pieces…
View attachment 273235

The lower piece of the wall was glued on. And after the glue was fully cured, I sanded the opening to fit the bowsprit…

View attachment 273236View attachment 273237

Then I soaked the wall plywood in hot water for about 5 minutes, then it was wiped do make sure it’s not dripping water, then I clamped it in place…
View attachment 273238

I left it to dry for a few hours and then I marked the top to be sanded flush with the deck. A board will cap this later in the build. Then it was sanded and glued in place and clamped again to dry…
View attachment 273239

The gap around the bow sprit will be closed tightly once I plank the wall, which is next…
View attachment 273240

After the wall is planked I will build doors and embellish the frames and they will go approximately here…
View attachment 273241

As she sits now…
View attachment 273242

Eventually when it’s time to start hull planking, these pieces will be added to thicken the keel, bow and stern for the boards to terminate. This is used instead of a rabbet.
View attachment 273243

Happy modeling! ;)
Excellently cut and carved bow door frames. !!! Rich

So I’m taking the clamps off the wall on the bow, and gathering some boards to plank it, when I heard this sound!
“Pssst…hey!”
Who’s there I replied?
“It’s me…the king!”
Oh the Lion, I said?
“Of course, he says, you know any other kings?”
What do you want, I’m busy here.
“Well…you know I appreciate everything you’ve done for me.”
“Like improving my hair, giving me a snarl, giving me teeth, eyes, sharper claws, more cat like nose, etc., and that really nice crown…but…”
But what I replied, what now?
“Well, if I can be honest, and I feel like that’s the kind of relationship we have now…I think you should add the jewels to the band on my crown!” “You know they are supposed to be there!” “Thought maybe no one would notice you left them off huh?” “Got lazy did ya?”
Ok already, I replied, I will add them! After that you’re going back in your box, and I don’t want to hear another word from you until it’s time to go on the keel.
“Ok, it’s a deal!” “Thanks again, you’re the best!”
So I added them…
6D0DF362-4DDF-4F88-B90D-8E36E94FE1F4.jpegD39AB23C-7F40-4562-9403-3B3D96CF656D.jpeg

“Pssst…hey, you know a Lion has these small holes between his nose and mouth, where his whiskers are!”
“And you know I’m supposed to be holding an axe?” A really vicious one too!”

Get back in the box!!!! :p

Last edited:
So I’m taking the clamps off the wall on the bow, and gathering some boards to plank it, when I heard this sound!
“Pssst…hey!”
Who’s there I replied?
“It’s me…the king!”
Oh the Lion, I said?
“Of course he says, you know any other kings?”
“Like improving my hair, giving me a snarl, giving me teeth, eyes, sharper claws, more cat like nose, etc., and that really nice crown…but…”
“Well, if I can be honest, and I feel like that’s the kind of relationship we have now…I think you should add the jewels to the band on my crown!” “You know they are supposed to be there!” “Thought maybe no one would notice you left them off huh?” “Got lazy did ya?”
Ok already I replied, I will add them! After that you’re going back in your box, and I don’t want to hear another word from you until it’s time to go on the keel.
So I added them…
View attachment 273271View attachment 273272

“Pssst…hey, you know a Lion has these small holes between his nose and mouth, where his whiskers are!”
“And you know I’m supposed to be holding an axe?” A really vicious one too!”

Get back in the box!!!! :p
Oh Dean, this is just hilarious, ROFLOL!
You know, I think it's about time you find this tirant of a Lion a fearless Lioness to keep him company and above all balanced. If not you'll never finish this Lion before Christmas. :D

And again, beautifully crafted; this lion is deserving its own display, rather than being hidden under the bowsprit and a wild array of standing and running rigging.
Okay

“Pssst…hey!”
Who’s there I replied?
“It’s me…the king!”
Oh the Lion, I said?
“Of course, he says, you know any other kings?”
Ok already, I replied, I will add them! After that you’re going back in your box, and I don’t want to hear another word from you until it’s time to go on the keel.
So I added them…
Well...I am really concerned about your health, mia Amigo! ROTFROTFROTF It is not so much that the Lion talking to you (I've experienced this in the past), ROTF I am more concerned you are answering him! :p You need to take the break from NL, time for vacation, bro!

Well...I am really concerned about your health, mia Amigo! ROTFROTFROTF It is not so much that the Lion talking to you (I've experienced this in the past), ROTF I am more concerned you are answering him! :p You need to take the break from NL, time for vacation, bro!
You guys are funny ROTFROTF Dean put the Lion back in his cage, give your Admiral the key not be be return until your planking is complete.ROTF

Back