NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Well, since the Lion is keeping the Shipwright from his work as masterbuilder, it's essentially the only option left... Or send the King to his granddaughter? And not to return until it's time to take his place under the bowsprit.
Right now, I just let him think he’s in charge. But once he gets that battle axe, I could be in trouble!!! :p

I finished the wall. Started on the door frames and doors. The figurehead and taff rails will be gold and the keel at the bow will be black. So a black and gold theme going on there. So I thought I would do the door frames and trim at the bow gold. Tried a pear wood door, but I don’t think it looks good. So I either have to do a dark stain on the doors or paint them black. Not sure a black door would be good either…sigh! Decisions! ;)
300B2B4D-9F89-411E-A7BE-031E66C5A3F7.jpeg3905ED74-B015-4975-B1CA-40F2234A6998.jpegC8DDDE02-8672-4238-97DE-FBB780B4DE9C.jpeg

I finished the wall. Started on the door frames and doors. The figurehead and taff rails will be gold and the keel at the bow will be black. So a black and gold theme going on there. So I thought I would do the door frames and trim at the bow gold. Tried a pear wood door, but I don’t think it looks good. So I either have to do a dark stain on the doors or paint them black. Not sure a black door would be good either…sigh! Decisions! ;)
View attachment 273945View attachment 273946View attachment 273947
The contrasting width and end coloration of the door panels will be excellent with your precisely routed door frame and crown. Rich

Hi Dean stunning once again. A question- are you not concerned that the work and detail above the deck will be damaged when you plank the hull. I know when I did my planking I was pretty "rough" in application and I was happy that my deck itself did not get too damaged. I did make once small gouge in it? Maybe my first attempt and I need to learn the art of finesse while planking?

Hi Dean stunning once again. A question- are you not concerned that the work and detail above the deck will be damaged when you plank the hull. I know when I did my planking I was pretty "rough" in application and I was happy that my deck itself did not get too damaged. I did make once small gouge in it? Maybe my first attempt and I need to learn the art of finesse while planking?
Thank you Grant. First I would like to say, the door and frame looked so good in person…then I took pictures of it…lol. I see some areas I need to rework on the frame. ;)
As far as planking goes, every ship is different. This ship, and most others, need the decks and walls put in first. But I don’t do much else.
After that I will plank from the lower deck up to the top first. This allows you to turn the ship upside down to plank the lower hull.
At that point I lay the ship on an old towel to cushion it. Or you can use a large piece of foam. I am usually very careful when planking the hull. The biggest risk is with clamps, nails, pins, or other methods people use. I prefer to put the boards on wet and use CA on the frames and wood glue (PVA) on the side of the board. That way I rarely need clamps! The CA will bond them instantly and if you pre bend the boards you won’t need clamps. However this method is not very forgiving if you need to reposition. So I usually test fit and do a practice run prior to putting glue on. ;)
I should probably mention that I only put CA on the first two frames prior to putting the plank on. That way I start the board on one end, then once those two are dry, I move to the next frame and put CA on, one frame at a time as I work the board along the hull.

Last edited:
As far as planking goes, every ship is different. This ship, and most others, need the decks and walls put in first. But I don’t do much else.
After that I will plank from the lower deck up to the top first. This allows you to turn the ship upside down to plank the lower hull.
At that point I lay the ship on an old towel to cushion it.
This is exactly wat I do with all my ships. First de decks and walls, later planking from lower deck to the top and then the lower hull! It applies for many models. Great method! Thumbsup

Back