NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

So I did a search for Sopwith Camel propellers and I found this!
View attachment 290254

And wow! I had to make this one! So out with the old one!
First I made a new propeller, that has a more pronounced hub like above…
View attachment 290259

Then I finished sanding, stained it, added the fade from the hub, then painted the tips and clear coated.
Here is the result…
View attachment 290260

I think I got really close to matching it.
On the motor…
View attachment 290261View attachment 290262

I definitely like this one better! So now I can move forward. I suppose I should start a build log for the Camel. :p
It looks beautiful, Dean.
Was the first rotating counter clockwise and this one clockwise?

I think the current prop has it right, although I'm not so sure about the blade angles, but that might be due to distortion of the pictures ánd the quality of my glasses...
Bear in mind that the prop (ánd engine) of the Shopwith Camel, as most of it's contemporaries, are rotating clockwise, as seen from the pilot's position.

From the Smithsonian:
B45190C5-AD3F-4FAD-A16E-1326B673FEB2.jpeg

Thank you! Good eyes Peter, the first propeller was made backwards. I didn’t realize it until I went to make the second one! The second one is correct. It should be counterclockwise to start from the front, which would be clockwise sitting in the plane. ;)

Last edited:
I think the current prop has it right, although I'm not so sure about the blade angles, but that might be due to distortion of the pictures ánd the quality of my glasses...
Bear in mind that the prop (ánd engine) of the Shopwith Camel, as most of it's contemporaries, are rotating clockwise, as seen from the pilot's position.

From the Smithsonian:
View attachment 290298
That is correct Johan, the new propeller is right. It is made with the proper pitch, meaning the cutting edge (side with large radius) is highest and angles down towards the opposite side. That way when it rotates, it pushes the plane forward. ;)

That is correct Johan, the new propeller is right. It is made with the proper pitch, meaning the cutting edge (side with large radius) is highest and angles down towards the opposite side. That way when it rotates, it pushes the plane forward. ;)
Those props are true, very complicated, pieces of art, either being full scale or prop models like yours. Thumbsup

Those props are true, very complicated, pieces of art, either being full scale or prop models like yours. Thumbsup
True, the amount of pitch determines how much thrust the prop creates! However an aggressive pitch comes at the cost of rpm and ultimately HP and performance of the motor. So a propeller pitch is usually determined according to the propeller diameter and motor being used with.

Last edited:
Welcome to my build log! Let's start with the basics:

Norske Love – Billing Boats

Scale 1:75 = 101 cm (39.76 in) long x 90 cm (35.43 in) tall x 20 cm (7.87 in) wide

HISTORY:

The Norske Love (Norwegian Lion) was designed by Frederik Michael Krabbe, a naval officer and leading ship designer, and built in 1765 by the Nyholm shipyard, close to Copenhagen. The ship was originally named after the Norwegian Lion and the Danish-Norwegian Imperial Coat of Arms. All ornaments, made by the sculptor C. Moellerup, were reminders of Norway. On the transom, there is a fisherman and farmer, symbolizing the most important trades of Norway, agriculture and fishing.

Norske Love was the second built from a series of three, the two others being Printz Friderich and Dronning Caroline Mathilde, later renamed Oresund in 1772.

She was a 3 mast warship, length 48.93 m, breadth 9.70 m, draught 5.07 m, displacement 1,076 tons. There was a normal crew of 667 men and an armament of 70 cannons. She mounted 26 cannons (24 pounders) on the lower deck, 26 cannons (18 pounders) on the mid deck and 18 cannons (8 pounders) on the upper deck. The Norske Love was used as a guard ship in Oresund and other Danish waters.

In 1789 it was equipped as a guard ship to protect Russian ships in the Danish waters. In 1795, after having been stripped into a block ship, she was used to give shelter for homeless families after the fire in Copenhagen that same year. In 1798 she was deleted from the naval register.

In addition, according to the history of the Royal Danish Navy, there were other ships named the Norske Love, prior to the one the model represents. The list is as follows:

Norske Love (1634-1653), Norske Love (1654-1665), Norske Love (1666-1679), Norske Love (1680-1715), Norske Love (1735-1764), Norske Love (1765-1798)

The Danish-Norwegian warships were, until 1780, tared with a very dark brown color, after which they were painted black with light-yellow battery lines – the so called “Nelson Look” The decks were light tar-colored and the gun carriages were red.
Hallo my friend,
it your birthday today !!!

we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day with family and friends - and also your sweet granddaughter - hope she is with you today
Birthday-Cake

I hope I am still in time to make it to the front row of the concert - this is a build I am really looking forward to. I am certainly no expert on Swedish, Danish or Norwegian warships of any era and am therefore wondering why the Norwegians would have chosen the yellow and black "Nelson" color scheme of the later British ships. Even though it could be historically assumed with the information that you have mentioned, I would opt for the earlier color scheme and stay away from a Victory - lookalike look.
SORRY, BUT THE COLOURS WERE CHANGED IN LATE 1700. BY THE WAY, THE SHIP IS DANISH, ALTHOUGH MORSKE LOVE IS A NORWEGEN NAME. THERE WERE 3 OF THEM ALL, MADE BY M. KRABBE.
DENMARK AND NORWEGEN WAS SEEN AS ONE COUNTRY WITH THE KING SITTING IN COPENHAGEN UNTIL 801 -AFTER THE BATTLE BY ADMIRAL NELSON, WHERE DENMARK LOST IN COPENHAGEN HABOUR NORWEGEN WERE THEN ADDED INTO SWEDEN UNTIL THE PEACE CONFERENCE 1920 AFTER 1tH WORLD WAR, NORWEGEN GOT ITS FREEDOM AS NORWAY-BUT THE KING CAME FROM DENMARK

Agreed Heinrich, just an issue with the plywood being too thin by 1mm. Even worse is the fact the frames have a 5mm slot! So all frames mounted on the plywood will need to be shimmed inside the slot with some veneer strips, or I will use another piece of wood to glue to the frame and keel to tie them together better, which I usually do anyway.
In addition, that means the length of the boards between frames on the keel now have to be adjusted accordingly.
Sometimes manufacturers create more work than is necessary, but we deal with it. ;)
I have over time made 3 Norske Love. the 1Th one before Lasercut came on the market-
I do not agree totally with You and Henrich. whar Billing tried -maybe not in a smart way. In the Laser cut modBow par. keel and steam are all cut in one -about 4 mm -but the bow and keel part should be 6 mm, therefore two copies of bow -1 mm-is added on each side, as well a list to glued to the keel. with this, it has 6 mm, and false keel 4 mm-. with this you have Garbord and a stable Heek to insert in my cases in a "Black and Decker"

The structure looks good Dean! Question: I am looking at the drawings that you have up behind the model and can only see one deck. Is this correct?
No, it has two main decks, but to save money, it does not show the lower deck, apart from the quarter deck and forecastle.
generally, the kit to me is very poor, so I discharged most of the wooden parts. ex. the gunports are glued to the side of the ship. no opening for the gunports

Back