NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Good to see you back!

Both Ellen and I attracted covid-19 in the first wave of 2020. Barely escaped hospitalization; we didn't show respiratory issues. Recovery was a long term project, took us months before we were back to good health. Please take care!

On the aircraft, you gotta be joking me. The other day I mentioned to Heinrich that, after first completing the Bluenose of course, I'm seriously considering to build an aircraft next, the Fokker DR.1
For now, I won't get involved in multiple projects simultaneously, but, we'll things may change.

Once you start one of your aircraft builds, I'll be on your tail!

This is the model I'm considering:
View attachment 288325
Hmmm, seems we'll need to start a Planes of Scale (POS) forum now ROTF

Hmmm, seems we'll need to start a Planes of Scale (POS) forum now ROTF
Yes…I have been a little sidetracked on the Sopwith Camel recently. I will start a build log soon. I built the engine…over 100 parts! Then I made the propeller. I just have to add the spark plug wires and I will be ready to start the next step…building the wings.
A few pics…

I used some artistic license on the prop and added the black on the hub and white on the tips. ;)

Last edited:
Yes…I have been a little sidetracked on the Sopwith Camel recently. I will start a build log soon. I built the engine…over 100 parts! Then I made the propeller. I just have to add the spark plug wires and I will be ready to start the next step…building the wings.
A few pics…
View attachment 290054View attachment 290055View attachment 290056

I used some artistic license on the prop and added the black on the hub and white on the tips. ;)
Oh bugger and I really need/want to finish my Bluenose first, before committing to anything else (ie the Fokker DR.1).

A few pics…

Oh boy that looks nice Dean!
Were some of the earliest radial engines designed such that the cylinders rotated along with the propeller or am I just imagining that?

Were some of the earliest radial engines designed such that the cylinders rotated along with the propeller or am I just imagining that?
There were indeed rotary radial engines designed and build during the early days of aviation. Due to it's impracticallity they became obsolete shortly after WWI.

Thank you Daniel!
Yes, the rotary engines had a stationary crank, and the motor rotated around it with the propeller! The exhaust valve is on the end of the cylinder, so no exhaust manifold. They were obviously air cooled. The plug wires went to a wheel in the back of the motor, and the magneto ignition gave them power as they passed while rotating. They used castor oil for lubrication, that was mixed with the gas and not recirculated. Therefore they had an oil tank and a gas tank. Running out of either was not good! ;) Very different, and were made exclusively for aircraft, due to power to weight ratios.
The Albatros D used a Mercedes inline 6 cylinder engine with 2 plugs per cylinder. And it was water cooled with the radiator in the upper wing! Cool stuff!

Last edited:
A few pics…

That is a very nice sidestep, Dean. A beautifull engine!
Regards, Peter

So I did a search for Sopwith Camel propellers and I found this!
8C94898A-E5AB-4619-BF8F-8111C702F51C.jpeg

And wow! I had to make this one! So out with the old one!
First I made a new propeller, that has a more pronounced hub like above…

Then I finished sanding, stained it, added the fade from the hub, then painted the tips and clear coated.
Here is the result…

I think I got really close to matching it.
On the motor…
F2E3D25E-6837-4C76-B2AD-1D5CBA110E77.jpegFF8ECB9D-FAA2-480C-A57D-A3C8BE56AF5D.jpeg

I definitely like this one better! So now I can move forward. I suppose I should start a build log for the Camel. :p

Last edited:
So I did a search for Sopwith Camel propellers and I found this!
View attachment 290254

And wow! I had to make this one! So out with the old one!
First I made a new propeller, that has a more pronounced hub like above…
View attachment 290259

Then I finished sanding, stained it, added the fade from the hub, then painted the tips and clear coated.
Here is the result…
View attachment 290260

I think I got really close to matching it.
On the motor…
View attachment 290261View attachment 290262

I definitely like this one better! So now I can move forward. I suppose I should start a build log for the Camel. :p
Fantastic as always Dean- so happy to see you up and Modelling again.Thumbsup

Back