NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

This side is planked! It was a hull lot of work! :p
I started painting the white below the water line. This way I can see if I need to do more sanding. I brushed on the paint because I want to still be able to see the individual planks. Anyway, more sanding and painting. Then to the other side. Once both are finished, I will add the lower wales, and paint the black above the water line to the bottom of the lower wale. Then I can clear coat both the white and black with a satin clear.
A few pics of current progress…
A35D9F5E-4624-4077-9FA6-4F49776127AF.jpeg1F6060D0-3AD0-415A-BD3D-3DE53B1F7F04.jpegF4420284-D975-4183-A064-9901729D44FD.jpeg

Beautiful planking Dean! I have two questions. Are you going to stain the wood above the waterline - it is very light in color at the moment. On the Dutch ships the painted section extends all the way from the rudder (including the rudder) to the keel (see Maarten's Friesland below) - is that the same with the NL?

20200203_192840.jpg

Beautiful planking Dean! I have two questions. Are you going to stain the wood above the waterline - it is very light in color at the moment. On the Dutch ships the painted section extends all the way from the rudder (including the rudder) to the keel (see Maarten's Friesland below) - is that the same with the NL?

View attachment 312077
Thanks Heinrich! Yes white water line goes from keel to rudder. Just haven’t finished with the white yet, I still have to add wood to the sides of the keel. ;)
It will be stained above the lower wale. So white below the water line, black above that to the bottom of the lower wale. Then black at the top and gold on the edge of the railings. See the reference pic below from a similar ship in the nautical museum…
E08E5EB3-5D9B-41CC-A3E0-28A93CCAD6D8.jpeg

Last edited:
Okiedokie - then all is good! Thumbsup
The keel above the water line is black. This will make the Lion stand out! And the railings will be gold to match. I’m excited about the scheme because I know it will look great by looking at the museum ship. Same on the stern galleys. Black with gold decorations and red window frames. Bulwarks are red inside, with red cannon carriages. Inside of cannon doors are red with gold Lion head. The paint scheme of the ship is really elegant IMO. ;)

Ps - I won’t stain until I get the wales on and the cannon frames done, and treenails added. ;)

I started painting the white below the water line. This way I can see if I need to do more sanding. I brushed on the paint because I want to still be able to see the individual planks. Anyway, more sanding and painting. Then to the other side. Once both are finished, I will add the lower wales, and paint the black above the water line to the bottom of the lower wale. Then I can clear coat both the white and black with a satin clear.
View attachment 312074View attachment 312075View attachment 312076
Good morning Dean. A “hull” of a job my friend. Really good. Question re staining after painting? Does the stain not seep and effect the paint?
PS Let’s ring that bell! Cheers Grant

FINALLY, TE HULL HAS BEEN COVERED. You should have- in my simple way of thinking -and after having built 3, prepare the wales and Gunports. Adding the Decks too early will only give problems later- el capi. I know that I do not have the Stars, but 60 Years of Building

That is looking very nice and smooth, Dean. Giving the extra attention by the planking is now paying off.
Regards, Peter

Beautiful Dean! I love the interim look of a well planked well sanded hull. Sometimes it almost seems like the perfect place to stop.
Thank you Daniel!
I agree it is a nice stage of the build, looks wise, however I know it will look so much better finished with all of the paint, stain and details added! ;)
Plus we have to get the Lion on the ship! He is already complaining he is tired of sitting in the box! He said he wants to ride the keel, with the wind in his mane! :p

Back