NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

That is really a beautiful gift Dean and the fact that your asked you to build it for him, is a wonderful connection to have with him. Mine couldn't care less about my shipbuilding efforts.

So let’s look at the figurehead…a Lion.
Supplied is as follows…
64B0C7CF-6F24-46F4-AB7E-D2B251091F80.jpeg

A metal casting, the crown is not the actual Danish crown, but a generic one.
BF6F59F8-597E-4427-AD2E-7DA021FE932A.jpeg

The face looks more like a monkey, than a lion! Yikes…poor definition overall.
ECFDB139-B0A8-4331-8A09-4D6E33A030E1.jpeg
Looking at the clearance with the bottom of the bowsprit (not the actual size shown), you can see an interference already and it isn’t moved back as far as it needs to go. This would require removing material from the top of the keel to lower it and would therefore put the feet lower than they should be. Also putting the head rails on behind it will be more difficult due to less room.

Now let’s look at the carving I ordered from CAF…
3E08000E-0F43-4BCA-9FFD-E657D251CDC0.jpeg
It is the proper size and has clearance under the bow sprit. It also does not have the proper crown.
4BB075BB-3C29-4BBC-92E4-4ACF5A789A78.jpegA5557754-0EF0-4B20-A837-80C048BF9187.jpegF2937988-20DC-4CA2-ACA5-E0BF2DED9060.jpeg

But let’s face it, it has far better detail and looks like a lion at every angle. :)

So…the plan is to remove the crown, and carve a Danish crown to put in its place…add a hatchet that it should be holding…add some additional details to it. And ultimately remove the additional material to create the slot for mounting.
Then scratch build the head rails that go behind it.
This should be a fun project when the time comes! ;)
So when I get bored with adding planks, I will do some carving on the Lion, to get it ready.

With or without fangs that is a much better fitting lion. At present it seems to be grinning like a Cheshire cat that might be looking for its next victim.

Great job on the lion though! It is incredible to see what you have managed to do. The deck planking is also looking very good!

Dean, that lion is right in line with the season! A vampire lion! Just kidding you man, it definitely looks more aggressive than the laughing lion he was before…. That’s such a great asset to have access to 3D carvings now, takes kitbashing and scratch building to a new level! Wonder how long it will be to be able to submit a drawing or a photo of what you want ( like all the stern carvings on an elaborate frigate) and have it carved in your scale and choice of wood….

Back