OCCRE Nuestra Señora del Pilar de Zaragoza - Manila Galleon at 1/46

J.L. I just went true all your log
Impressive build you are you doingThumbsup
Having build the ST from OcCre and 2 other model from them I agreed 100% with you about the wood and some discrepancy but as you said for the price….. and nothing keep you away to improve the model
I have read some time ago that OcCre did improve on their latest model compare to the old ST for example improve on the gun port chain link and the Stern and so many other detail that did not look proper. When I was looking for a new ship a few years ago I almost get the S.D.P. that you are building but got the Royal Louis in place from Mamoli twice the price at the time:eek:
Your build is one that I will follow with a lots of pleasure:cool:

Well, if they did, Ntra Snra del Pilar is not one of them. It is an old kit and it shows. Only thing modern is that the ply parts were laser cut. The Royal Louis is in impressive model and I think you did the right choice.

Thanks for the kind words

Best regards

JL

Hello JL, I just read your build log. Excellent work. I like what you did with the windows. I am planning on building the Montanes for my next build so I'll be following your build closely. Keep up the great work.
CW

I am planning on building the Montanes for my next build so I'll be following your build closely. Keep up the great work.
CW

El Montañés was one of my options, I choose Ntra Snra del Pilar because it was a little shorter. It is a beautiful model, worth the effort.

Being older in the Occre catalog means that you may look forward to similar problems to those that I am having with my build, but after all, once the problems are solved they turn into fun and satisfaction.

So, go ahead and have a happy building. I'll follow, because I'm curious about that model

Best regards

JL

Hallo Poul Erik,
It would be great if you show your actual or even older project in your own Building log.....would be great to see your work !
Well, Gentlemen, I do not have any build log, for several reasons. I started with wooden ship in mid-1970, and at that, i did not have a camera worse will. 2 no place to add it- long before internet etc- 3 as i was/ am only building as a pure hobby, i had/ have no interest in that. To those who maybe I have a few Images for the 1970-80- before I lost a lot of images -both build and private images, during a move- lorry accident. Anyway, I will add some of my early build, part as general images. only Norske Love iI have one picture, taken in 1991 before we moved from a Madrid to Malaga. Image no 1 is from 1976 with my wife and daughter (2 years ol)( from Copenhagen, with a Billing BOAT-Nordkap- went out of production but, now back again and CUTTY SARK PLUS 2 AIRCRAFT IN PLASTIC.. picture 2 is from Madrid, with Vistoty /amati) NOT LASER CUT. hard work. a mistake at the sternpost, to heavy yards erc..6. Lilla Dan handed over the farewell party from my manager going back to DENMARK. 7 SAN JUAN NEPOSANO. only as in NORSKE LOVE one layer of `planks. 8. coast fishing Kutter BENDT (klink build-very difficult. Is still in the family of my mother- more than 25 years. next a real image, the only direct image I HAVE-NORSKE LOVE finally the SOLEIGH ROYAL-3 norden y cutty sark - copia.jpg9- norden.jpg4-1- victory.jpg6 lila dan- handen over to new owner.jpg7-nepusano.jpg8-bent.jpg8-1 real photo.jpg5 norske love.jpg
2014-05-28 21.20.47.png

Last edited by a moderator:
El Montañés was one of my options, I choose Ntra Snra del Pilar because it was a little shorter. It is a beautiful model, worth the effort.

Being older in the Occre catalogue means that you may look forward to similar problems to those that I am having with my build, but after all, once the problems are solved they turn into fun and satisfaction.

So, go ahead and have a happy building. I'll follow because I'm curious about that model

Best regards

JL
Well, Gentlemen, I do not have any build log, for several reasons. I started with wooden ship in mid-1970, and at that, i did not have a camera worse will. 2 no place to add it- long before internet etc- 3 as i was/ am only building as a pure hobby, i had/ have no interest in that. To those who maybe I have a few Images for the 1970-80- before I lost a lot of images -both build and private images, during a move- lorry accident. Anyway, I will add some of my early build, part as general images. only Norske Love iI have one picture, taken in 1991 before we moved from a Madrid to Malaga. Image no 1 is from 1976 with my wife and daughter (2 years ol)( from Copenhagen, with a Billing BOAT-Nordkap- went out of production but, now back again and CUTTY SARK PLUS 2 AIRCRAFT IN PLASTIC.. picture 2 is from Madrid, with Vistoty /amati) NOT LASER CUT. hard work. a mistake at the sternpost, to heavy yards erc..6. Lilla Dan handed over the farewell party from my manager going back to DENMARK. 7 SAN JUAN NEPOSANO. only as in NORSKE LOVE one layer of `planks. 8. coast fishing Kutter BENDT (klink build-very difficult. Is still in the family of my mother- more than 25 years. next a real image, the only direct image I HAVE-NORSKE LOVE finally the SOLEIGH ROYAL-View attachment 130448View attachment 130449View attachment 130454View attachment 130455View attachment 130456View attachment 130457View attachment 130458View attachment 130459unt

Well, Gentlemen, I do not have any build log, for several reasons. I started with wooden ship in mid-1970, and at that, i did not have a camera worse will. 2 no place to add it- long before internet etc- 3 as i was/ am only building as a pure hobby, i had/ have no interest in that. To those who maybe I have a few Images for the 1970-80- before I lost a lot of images -both build and private images, during a move- lorry accident. Anyway, I will add some of my early build, part as general images. only Norske Love iI have one picture, taken in 1991 before we moved from a Madrid to Malaga. Image no 1 is from 1976 with my wife and daughter (2 years ol)( from Copenhagen, with a Billing BOAT-Nordkap- went out of production but, now back again and CUTTY SARK PLUS 2 AIRCRAFT IN PLASTIC.. picture 2 is from Madrid, with Vistoty /amati) NOT LASER CUT. hard work. a mistake at the sternpost, to heavy yards erc..6. Lilla Dan handed over the farewell party from my manager going back to DENMARK. 7 SAN JUAN NEPOSANO. only as in NORSKE LOVE one layer of `planks. 8. coast fishing Kutter BENDT (klink build-very difficult. Is still in the family of my mother- more than 25 years. next a real image, the only direct image I HAVE-NORSKE LOVE finally the SOLEIGH ROYAL-View attachment 130448View attachment 130449View attachment 130454View attachment 130455View attachment 130456View attachment 130457View attachment 130458View attachment 130459unt

Being older in the Occre catalog means that you may look forward to similar problems to those that I am having with my build, but after all, once the problems are solved they turn into fun and satisfaction.

So, go ahead and have a happy building. I'll follow, because I'm curious about that model

Best regards

JL
I have built it 15 years ago. A good Kit for the Price. Only the REAL KEEL was very BAG. had to make a new one. the one with the kit was a thin layer of plywood, then a thin layer of cork, then plywood, cork and finally cork. in my case, in a very dry climate sommer part of the cork was gone. I recommend NOT inserting the deck before planking, as this model have some of the precut gunports- will need a lot of adjustment, and then a piece of wood, was glued on the backside for the DUMMY GUNS If you close the deck of the ship before Planking, you have no possibility- accident- if one of the guns get loose and go inside the hull-NO WAY TO ARRANGE THIS- If you plank the hull shaping each plank, there are not that many problems, especially with a second layer. only taking care of the Windows and Door on the quarter-deck, because if you follow the instruction, no way to insert that price (metal). following this Hull and Deck planking, gallery principal and side gallery should not give problems.
el cape
IMG_20170715_183926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, time to get back to the monster, sorry, the Nuestra Señora. The spanish and the portuguese had this habit of naming the ships after Nuestra Señora (Our Lady, for those of you that don't understand castilian or spanish).

More the spanish than us they always were more catholic.

Putting together the two halves of the keel revealed how huge the model is, as I said it is 70cm of false keel. The wood is good, the laser cut is well done and the parts have a nice fit.

View attachment 68717

At first I thought that there was some warp on the ply but it disappeared as the two halves were glued together.

View attachment 68718

The halves were glued with the help of a steel ruler to make sure that the bottom of the keel was straight, no signs of the warp, so a very happy modeller.
I used nails while the glue was setting to avoid any deviation. It worked well and this step was completed.

Now for the first deck . (should be the last, if you are going down in the ship, but everybody refers to it as the first deck, so, follow the navy). Four parts, a very small gluing surface, I used PVA at first, it didn't support the weight, so I used CA and it kept untill the deck was planked. The planks, of course gave more strenght to the whole, but even so it broke again. Did not separate due to the planks, but the glue gave way. Some thick cyano solved the problem

View attachment 68719.

I must say that I didn't like the wood OcCre supplied for the deck planking. Too much grain and not good quality wood and also the strips were somewhat twisted. I had bought some wood from Hobbies Guinea, a nice dealer from Spain and I had some strips from mukali and manzonia (I don't know the english names, sorry). As the mukali strips were .6x4mm and the manzonia were .6x5mm, due to the large scale of the ship I decide to use using this one.

I used a metal ruler to make sure that the two halves were absolutely straight while gluing,

View attachment 68720 View attachment 68721

You can see here the bulkheads and the false keel, ready to start doing something interesting like an hull :D.

View attachment 68722

The fit was excellent, just a touch of sanding paper on the grooves that were a little tight and the bulkeads were absolutely perpendicular to the keeel, no worries here

View attachment 68723

Being so, I dry mounted all the bulkheads, make sure everything was square and straight and a bath of thin CA joined everything together.

View attachment 68724 View attachment 68726

four lenghts of square section were supplied the idea is to help get the hull straight. They also give more strenght to the hull because it is heavy.

The fit was a very little loose, I used some spare square wood to glue those sections to some bulkheads (not all, it was not needed) and I ended up with an absolutely straight keel what I only managed to get in my prince with the help of some wood glued to the sides of the keel.

Even without the square lenghts glued to the bulkheads, the keel was almost straight, just a litthe warp

View attachment 68727

After gluing the squares, the hull was absolutely straight.

View attachment 68729

And it is all for now, time to plank the deck and glue it in place.

See you!

Regards

JL
Hi,i can see some LEGO to help!!Good idea//Larsa

Glad that El Capi called this thread back. I have done some work in this model too, not much because I am now more focused on the Prince of Neuchâtel, but I intend to come back to the Ntra Snra very soon.

Meanwhile I replaced the doors supplied in the kit with more decent ones. True that they are hardly seen, but I know that they are there and I am happy with that.

DSC09913.JPG

wood is tile.

DSC06128.JPG

DSC09915.JPG

DSC09922.JPG

and in place.

DSC09925.JPG

as you can see, they are really hardly seen.

DSC09927.JPG

DSC09930.JPG

Boack to this buid soon.

regards

JL

Glad that El Capi called this thread back. I have done some work in this model too, not much because I am now more focused on the Prince of Neuchâtel, but I intend to come back to the Ntra Snra very soon.

Meanwhile I replaced the doors supplied in the kit with more decent ones. True that they are hardly seen, but I know that they are there and I am happy with that.

View attachment 130530

wood is tile.

View attachment 130531

View attachment 130532

View attachment 130533

and in place.

View attachment 130534

as you can see, they are really hardly seen.

View attachment 130535

View attachment 130536

Boack to this buid soon.

regards

JL
as I have mentioned before, you are now - like me - tween building a kit and scrap build. I like your last images very much. Maybe the door frame is a little out of scale, but here you decide

Some pictures just to show the actual state of the model. Much yet to be done but I feeling happier with the resuylt know.

Some errors had to be corrected some adjustments made, but it is turning into a decent kit.

View attachment 110459

View attachment 110460

View attachment 110461

View attachment 110462

View attachment 110463

View attachment 110464

View attachment 110465

View attachment 110466

View attachment 110467

My method of getting a small gap between planks, using razor blades. It individualizes the planks and give (in my view) a better aspect to the planking:

View attachment 110468

Best regards

MUY BIENBIEN AMIGO

Some pictures just to show the actual state of the model. Much yet to be done but I feeling happier with the resuylt know.

Some errors had to be corrected some adjustments made, but it is turning into a decent kit.

View attachment 110459

View attachment 110460

View attachment 110461

View attachment 110462

View attachment 110463

View attachment 110464

View attachment 110465

View attachment 110466

View attachment 110467

My method of getting a small gap between planks, using razor blades. It individualizes the planks and give (in my view) a better aspect to the planking:

View attachment 110468

Best regards

JL
WELL BUILD, EXCEPT DOING THE PLANKING TOO LATE -BUT THAT IS IN ALL INSTRUCTION MANUALS -START TO PLANK FROM BOTTOM UP A FEW LISTS, THEN FROM UPSIDE DOWN AND SO ON

Back