• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Oseberg V3 Build Log by Ashley

Tapering the Stems of the Keel.

The written instructions for tapering the keel ends are given on page 9 of the instruction manual. I had watched the videos supplied by Pavel and from them, I knew that there were some incorrect dimensions given. If memory serves correct, the taper is at 15mm from the tip of the keel top.

Instruction Manual

The idea from the manual, is that the tapering is undertaken after the joining of the keel halves to form a single unit. I was not happy to undertake this at this stage because I felt the keel was very delicate. Also, the videos show the operation carried out much later and to a different dimension. I decided, later than sooner.

1.jpg
Incorrect Dimension

The Videos

2.jpg
Correct Dimension to just Above 2nd Dowl

Pavel attaches the keel to the side of the ship frame and works on it from there. I was not happy with this idea and undertook the chamfering whilst the keel was supported in two vices. This permitted me to work on a much more rigid structure. Not in the instructions, but in the video, the chamfering is across a distance of 60mm. Here the video does not in my mind alight with the said dimension of 60mm takes the chamfer to the second joining dowel. I did use the 60mm.

Undertaking the Chamfering

The chamfering did take a fair length of time and I noticed that if I was not careful, along the 60mm length of the chamfer, I could easily create either a concave or convex shape and slightly round the keel tip. To help aid in shaping, I used a small steal rule to check flatness. Eventually, the tip needs to be chamfered down to .5mm. This must be between the two sides individually. I shall not provide full details here. They are clear in Pavel’s video.

The chamfering process is a delicate operation if to be undertaken with precision and I found that by clamping the keel between two vices. At the end I was working on, I used an old set square to give additional vertical support. Also, once one side had been completed, and the other worked on, an additional wedge piece between the set square and keel tip provided greater rigidity, therefore aiding in precision.

4.jpg
Supported in Two Vices

11.jpg
Well Supported for Chamfering


Chamfering Completed

Earlier while constructing the second slipway building jig, I was not satisfied with the way the Oseberg skeleton was being supported and I made some slight alterations where things improved.

Not shown in the instruction manual, but in the video are supports for the keel tips when placed in the holding jig. Pavel shows these additions incorporated before the tip is created. I incorporated the additional supports once the tapering operation had been carried out and the temporary cheeks had been attached, this allowed for great accuracy in the holding ability of these parts. In the case of the cheek pieces, the instruction manual says 1/10 glue. This means, just a little. This detail vital.

20250706_152645.jpg
Completed Bow & Stern

Keel Veneers

I’m not sure what any of the pieces would be called in reality. I’m building a model not a complete ship. The keel veneers as I call them, are attached in six pieces along the Oseberg length and four parts I called cheeks. Each of the parts I dry fitted first, and found them to fit just about perfectly when I kept all outer edges level with the keel. At this point, I also ensured that the planking would fit reasonably accurately and snug between the keel veneers and the ship frames. They did.

20250706_181547.jpg
Upper Keel Supports

100.jpg
Checking Planking Fits


20250706_181604.jpg
Side Veneers Applied


Conclusion

To this point, all has gone smoothly and I am happy with the results. Often ship models are listed with a difficulty rating. I think that difficulty rating will greatly depend on the individuals abilities, degree of build accuracy and more. In the case of this model, I feel it is well within the scope of the confident beginner should they thoroughly study the plans and videos. I would also suggest that any potential builder takes the time to follow the build logs of others. They can be very beneficial. I have fallen short on this a little at times and where I may have been confused, is when I’ve not followed my own advice.
 
Last edited:
Your build log is very thorough and detailed, Ashley - well done! My Oseberg keeps calling me, but the yard work and the lake call even louder! ROTF
 
Hi all, I'm back. It's been some time since I last posted. Some has happened but not a huge amount with my beautiful Oseberg.

Near on 50 years ago I used to build model boats from plans I'd bought through magazines. In those times, I seemed to have more time, then a working life got in the way and I lost track of my favoured hobby. Upon retiring, I had more time and money and I discovered how the hobby of model ship building had changed where, I was set for an entry into the laser cut world of ship building.

I've always been a very precise person and if I feel a project is not going as I'd imagined it could or ought to, it tends to take a back seat until I resolve the issues and feel I can improve on the task in hand. Generally through more research and study. This became the case with the Oseberg.

I initially aimed to share my experiences in building the Oseberg, to hopefully aid others in their build as others have been kind enough to do both here and other forums.

Back soon.

So This is What You're Doing - Is It

P1090232.JPG
 
Last edited:
Hi all, I'm back. It's been some time since I last posted. Some has happened but not a huge amount with my beautiful Oseberg.

Near on 50 years ago I used to build model boats from plans I'd bought through magazines. In those times, I seemed to have more time, then a working life got in the way and I lost track of my favoured hobby. Upon retiring, I had more time and money and I discovered how the hobby of model ship building had changed where, I was set for an entry into the laser cut world of ship building.

I've always been a very precise person and if I feel a project is not going as I'd imagined it could or ought to, it tends to take a back seat until I resolve the issues and feel I can improve on the task in hand. Generally through more research and study. This became the case with the Oseberg.

I initially aimed to share my experiences in building the Oseberg, to hopefully aid others in their build as others have been kind enough to do both here and other forums.

Back soon.

View attachment 638627
I'm looking forward to your build updates!

My Oseberg has been sitting for over a year, hopefully your log will inspire me to start back up on mine!!!

Steve
 
I Said I'd be Back and Here I am.

This may become a longer post where I'm writing it in the hope of aiding others through my experiences.

I'm getting back into the swing of building the Oseberg. I have had a few problems along the way and I appear to, and hope it is the case, learnt a good few thing on this journey. The Oseberg is my first ship in very many years and the first with clinker built planking.

P1090228.JPG

The Problems Start

All appeared to be going well until I discover the planks were not fitting as well as I had first anticipated. Turning to forums such as this and others for tips on my problem, I discovered an assortment of comments ranging from the planks as supplied were too short to the ship being of a faulty design or even, the instructions were incorrect. Few people list builder error as the major cause. I will admit, in my case, builder error has caused some issues.

If I consider the works of Pavel Nikitin I would say that there have been errors, but those as far as I'm concerned have been rectified by him before I purchased his Oseberg. I would also say, this is most likely the case with each of his kits. I feel that Pavel creates beautiful ships that with a greater understanding of the shipbuilding process, can result in truly beautiful masterpieces. The fact that people do report pieces missing on occasion, is a different matter.

It's My Fault - I Can't Blame Others

Getting back to myself, I would say that a lack of experience has been my major issue. Prior to purchase, I watched all the videos provided once or twice. Upon the delivery of the kit, I was eager to start and again followed the build logs of others. I was doing this as I built. Here, I discover that some had issues with the keel of the Oseberg appearing to have differing lengths between the two sides. I did not experience this and found that the keel assembled perfectly. In the case of the keel and all other parts, there is great discussion over the char. Initially, I was very concerned about this. I believe, overly so. It seems many people have difficulties with knowing what to do with it. I did read a comment that Pavel wrote where he said, "there is little need to worry about char on areas such as the keel as the butt joint does not need to be strong as the left and right glued side proved the strength". This can be said for many parts. I feel that the excessive removal of char may create inaccuracies on dimensions.

During my reading by what appeared a very capable builder, I read the following in building the Santa Maria by Pavel. "The difficulty comes in due to the great accuracy in the kit design and laser cutting. This means that a great deal of precision is required and a high understanding of the information the plans provide. There is very little room for error in construction". I feel this is the case. Had I read the plans, which I am capable of doing, followed the instructions and watched the videos all with greater attention to detail. I would almost certainly achieved a better finish at the bow and stern. In fact, Pavel says on many occasions, watch the videos.

Laser Char

In the case of cleaning laser cut parts of char, I think it is all too easy to create dimensional inaccuracies where over enthusiastic on char removal. An example is where I became over worried about join strength in the planking, potentially caused by char. Consequently, I felt that the parts were too short. I was about 2mm short in one case. The rest were fine. It would have been nice if these planks were a little longer. Ultimately, I feel it was my own fault. Also, join strength will also be determined by adhesive used. An appropriate adhesive I suspect can achieve greater strength even with char than a poor adhesive without char. Since I became less concerned with the char on plank joins, I can honestly say that I have had no issues with join failure even on the most delicate of planking parts.

Keep those Dimensions

Still on the subject of part cleaning. When I first started sanding the assembled frames, thinking I disliked the visible burned in part numbers and trying to remove them, I realised I was over thinning them and stopped. It was just as well because it would have caused the decking plank lengths to be too short. I'm okay there but only just. Accuracy really is hugely important on these models if we are to complete with good results.

One area where I do think Pavel could have aided the less experiences builder is if he were to have displayed the system, on the video, to mark the levels up the Bow and Stern for each of the planks. You will see the remains of a piece of paper stuck to my Bow and Stern in the photograph. It's not clear on the photo as I've sanded it some. The second image from the plans displays what I'm taking about better. Olha Batchvarov displays this in her Youtube videos. They are worth watching. Her Oseberg is an earlier version.

P1090246.JPG


Another area where I had just slight problems was in the frame chamfering for the planking. When I first saw what I had to do, I shaped as instructed. I had no idea if it should have been up to the marked line, remove the line completely or within its thickness. Again, this will make a difference. If I were to be doing that same job again, I would under chamfer and perfect the shape whilst planking. Pavel does this to some extent. However, if too much has already been removed, that will lead to problems.

In Conclusion

l shall continue later. But first, I shall say that so far I have enjoyed every moment spent on the Oseberg. I have learnt a lot from the experience and as I strive for perfection it my creativity, I can remain a little disappointed when I know I could have done better. For anyone building any ship. My advice would be take it easy, read and study as much as possible and then, you should achieve a better result than had you not done so. Check out the work of Willbor237 on the forum. He has created a beautiful Oseberg at 1/25. To me, his planking looks perfect.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top