Other hobbies that are not ship model building

In response to Pugwash, above:
In the US, we have removed pretty much all of a deer's natural predators. They are vermin, although charismatic and attractive vermin. The only real predators they have are the automobile, "chronic wasting disease"- a hideous mad cow like prion, and human hunters. A few years ago I was driving through farm country in Virginia and there was a roadkill deer every half mile or less. I saw one hit, and one make a narrow mistake within an hour in the early afternoon. The turkey vultures were too full to fly and were just hanging out around the carcasses.

Last edited:
I enjoy building early medieval Castilian style furniture. Mostly reproductions of actual furniture found in castles, palaces and museums.
I'm just starting a new cupboard with moorish influence, found this one online due to missing my planned holiday to Spain with the intention to get some inspiration and lots of research.
Castello.jpg
I'll be designing it a bit wider than this one.
Today I finished the table saw angle jig for the door's symmetrical pieces.Angle Jig.jpg
Templates.jpg
Waiting on some more timber and I'll be set to go.
Timber.jpg
Unfortunately I live in Australia where Ikea is the only style the locals seem to be willing to pay for furniture. Besides it takes me too long to make and hence selling my pieces are not very viable.

I enjoy building early medieval Castilian style furniture. Mostly reproductions of actual furniture found in castles, palaces and museums.
I'm just starting a new cupboard with moorish influence, found this one online due to missing my planned holiday to Spain with the intention to get some inspiration and lots of research.
View attachment 155696
I'll be designing it a bit wider than this one.
Today I finished the table saw angle jig for the door's symmetrical pieces.View attachment 155704
View attachment 155702
Waiting on some more timber and I'll be set to go.
View attachment 155703
Unfortunately I live in Australia where Ikea is the only style the locals seem to be willing to pay for furniture. Besides it takes me too long to make and hence selling my pieces are not very viable.
I understand completely people just don't want to pay what your time is worth. please keep us posted as you progress

Thnx it is - but, when doing it as a living professional not so after 30 yrs of dealing with less than straight dealers who are happy to watch you lose everything so they can gain a fraction … it loses its magic. Hence modelling for pleasure is much more gratifying! :)
seems like whenever you decide to do something you really like for gain the shine goes off the apple pretty quick

That is same issue when people see a nice ship model and want one for their display.

They don’t want to pay what it is really worth in material and time

Kurt
Indeed - I use to be in touch with Martin Bower the model maker for films etc who lived not too far from me when I was in the UK - the amount of times he'd been 'ripped' off in the industry was unreal apparently... so yes seems a common problem.

Back