Pinta 1492 by Mike 41 – 1:32 scale Caravel

Bow Half Frames:
The following photos shows the installation of the bow half frames.

IMG_2670.jpgIMG_2669.jpgIMG_2673.jpgIMG_2671.jpgIMG_2672.jpg

nice Mike I saw you doing this and thought even though it not the same ship you might be interested in this book https://archive.org/details/lanaosantamara00monl

it is a very nice book on the Santa Maria from the 1800s

Thanks Joe,
I will read through the book although my Spanish is not very good the pictures are great.
Mike

Stern Half Frames:
The following photos shows the installation of the stern half frames and the current overall framing.

IMG_2670.jpgIMG_2669.jpgIMG_2675.jpgIMG_2671.jpgIMG_2672.jpgIMG_2673.jpgIMG_2674.jpgIMG_2679.jpgIMG_2676.jpgIMG_2677.jpgIMG_2678.jpg

Coming together nicely Mike. I just ordered this weekend my T-track for my gantry and I also got an X,Y table ordered that should make life easier once it set it up on my dremel press stand so I can do some nice joints with it and other stuff.

Hi Joe,
Thanks, I think you will enjoy using the gantry system. Which ship are you going to build first?
Mike

Full Frames:
As stated above the full frames are made up of eight pieces floor timbers and futtocks, the following photos shows the fabrication and installation of the full frames.

IMG_2685.jpgIMG_2680.jpgIMG_2681.jpgIMG_2682.jpgIMG_2683.jpgIMG_2684.jpgIMG_2690.jpgIMG_2686.jpgIMG_2687.jpgIMG_2688.jpgIMG_2689.jpg

which ever ship I can find ready to build drawings for lol still looking for decent plans that don't have to be "Fixed" However will probably post later this afternoon I am gonna do 1/24th scale Bomb Vessel Cross section and then thought maybe some skilled people might want to work as a team and draw up full set of Bomb Vessel plans for the full ship to put on the site for free download to site members.

Hi Joe,
John McKay & Ron Coleman published a very good book on the 24-Gun Frigate Pandora that would be helpful with your Cross Section.
Mike

ok how does a frigate associate with a bomb vessel? they 2 totally different creatures, there are some nice books out there on bomb vessels though when I have some extra cash

Hi Joe,
That was the wrong book sorry about the mix up. The Boom Vessel Granado 1742 is the book I was thinking of. You may have that already.
Mike

Yea I got the Anatomy of the ship one for it just wished had better drawings in it as I hate trying to stitch them together never comes out very good

I had a problem getting the different views to match up. I think the way it was printed caused most of the trouble.
Mike

Full Frames Continuation:
the following photos show the installation of the full frames using the gantry for alignment and the completed framing.

IMG_2685.jpgIMG_2680.jpgIMG_2681.jpgIMG_2682.jpgIMG_2683.jpgIMG_2684.jpgIMG_2690.jpgIMG_2686.jpgIMG_2687.jpgIMG_2688.jpgIMG_2689.jpg

Hawse Pieces:
The hawse pieces are simply two small blocks of wood shaped to the hull for planking support. The photos show the hawse pieces as installed on the model.

IMG_2696.jpgIMG_2695.jpg

Thanks Brian,
I really enjoy this hobby and occasionally I stumble over something that works well and like to share the process with other builders.
This is a great site and I hope I can make some contributions here in the future.
Mike

Hi Gary,
Thanks, it is nice to be on a site where people read the build logs and you a little input. That is not always the case on some sites. I haven’t noticed any community build projects. A small scratch POF ship designed for beginning scratch builder would be a fun build if anybody is interested.
Mike

Back