Pinta 1492 by Mike 41 – 1:32 scale Caravel

Thanks Mike,
The Pinta is a very enjoyable ship to build. I plan on building the Santa Maria and Nina in the future.
Mike

Hi Zoltan,
I am afraid that is the only way I build scratch models. I used to do POB kits before I joined the dark side. I built my first POF in a group build lead by Gene Bodnar on the old Navy Board Models site and haven’t touched a kit since.
Scratch building give you a lot more selection about the ship the size and materials used. Can you tell I am a huge fan?
Mike

Hi Mike,
Unless you have had a lot of experience building high level pob kits it is best to start with a small ship or gun boat at a fairly large scale and a good set of plans. If you take your time and ask questions about problem areas you will produce a model to be proud of. A group build is a great way to get started maybe later in the year we can get something going.
Mike

Mike41 said:
Hi Gary,
Thanks, it is nice to be on a site where people read the build logs and you a little input. That is not always the case on some sites. I haven’t noticed any community build projects. A small scratch POF ship designed for beginning scratch builder would be a fun build if anybody is interested.
Mike

Hello Mike,what ship or ships you have in your mind for a group build?

There is a couple of us starting a group project on MSB for a full ship design of a Bomb Vessel. first tidying up the cross section to 3D and then will add to it to complete the vessel. there are no decent detailed POF of a full bomb vessel so this will be a nice one of a kind project when finished

Hi Zoltan,
I was thinking about the Pinta or John Cabot’s ship the Matthew something of that time period. The framing was simpler in the 15th century along with the rigging. I am not set on a particular ship I like them all, if someone has a different ship or ships in mind we could take them into consideration. I am the new kid on the block (well-seasoned kid) and open to suggestions.
Mike

Hi Joe,
This link might help you with the cross section.
http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?2097
Mike

thanks I am correcting some errors as I go and adjusting fits etc I started thread in cad section we should take it there so not to hijack this one

Keelson:
The keelson consists of three pieces joined with scarph joints made from beechwood. The following photos show the keelson, limber strakes and hold flooring being installed using spring clamps and rubber bands with the gantry jig.

IMG_2699.jpgIMG_2697.jpgIMG_2698.jpg

Main Deck Clamps:
The following photos show the main deck clamps and remaining flooring being install

IMG_2700.jpgIMG_2702.jpgIMG_2701.jpgIMG_2706.jpgIMG_2703.jpgIMG_2704.jpgIMG_2705.jpgIMG_2707.jpg

Main Deck Clamps:
The following photos show the main deck clamps and remaining flooring being installed.I had a minor problem with the deck clamp on the port side, removed and replaced the section where the two pieces joined. Situations like this makes you appreciate water solvable wood glue.

Stern Framing
The stern framing consists of 4 counter timbers and the upper and lower transoms. The following photos show the construction and installation.

IMG_2725.jpgIMG_2715.jpgIMG_2716.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mast Steps:
The three mast steps are shown in the following photos.

IMG_2744.jpgIMG_2739.jpgIMG_2740.jpgIMG_2741.jpgIMG_2742.jpgIMG_2743.jpg

Main Deck Framing:
The following photos show the main deck framing.

IMG_2770.jpgIMG_2769.jpgIMG_2773.jpgIMG_2771.jpgIMG_2772.jpgIMG_2776.jpgIMG_2774.jpgIMG_2775.jpgIMG_2778.jpgIMG_2777.jpgIMG_2780.jpgIMG_2779.jpg

Main Mast Bitt and Ladders:
The main mast bitt and a pair of ladders from the main deck to the hold construction and installation are shown on the following photos.

IMG_2785.jpgIMG_2782.jpgIMG_2783.jpgIMG_2784.jpg

Back