Plank benders

Here’s what I use to bend, the Sapelly is very hard to bend, it worked great. I made another block for the clamp on thing to go hands free

View attachment 290890
I like what you have done with the holder for that bender. The biggest drawback is the burn risk, or chance of that thing sliding off of a holder because of the weight of the cord and burning someone or something. When I use mine I wear an insulated "Lodge" leather glove used for handling hot cast iron cookware off the fire. It is clumsy but the large area of very hot metal is a danger. But it bends wood like mad!

All this high tech, in the past I've used an empty Cat food tin (label off) with one end half cut open (Cat meat emptied) and some small hot coals from an open fire tipped in, viola instant heat to bend pre-soaked planking that can be moderately adjusted to the Bow of any Ship model. Ps Wear gloves.

Would work well for the pasta meals for the crew too:)
I own and have used this tool myself. I soak the strips first then crank the strip through the machine very slowly each time tightening down the 4 screws/rollers to increase the bend. It really helps to have straight-grained wood by the way. I use it when I am in a hurry and do not want to fire up the steam generator.

I GOT ONE SIMILAR TO THIS ONE FROM THE SAME CO CHRONOS IT WORKED FINE FOR 2 MOS. THEN THE PLASTIC GEARS WENT BAD THE WOOD WOULD NOT TURN THE GEARS ARE STUCK TIHS ONE SEEMS BETTER THE GEARS ARE NOT PLASTIC HAS ANYONE TRIED ANY OF THE VIOLIN/GUITAR BENDING TOOLS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

i HAVE OVER THE LAST yEAR STUDINGED THE PLANK BENDING. i HAVE 25 DIFFERENT CHAPTERS MOST OF THEM WITH SUB CHAPTERS. (sorry)
Out of all these methods, only a few is really working. some can be even harmful as caustic soda (NaOH). Soaking in water for a long time is either NO GOOG. The wood will such up water and by then1000 or more Bacterias, which can destroy de wood, so it is easy to bend and set nails, etc in, BUT the wood will dry out again, which gives some physical strengths, which can change the bulkhead position. In the end -after even having seen hear special equipment for bending- the is to me ONLY STEAM -high temperature- Electrically bending as seen here, with high temperature and FINALLY BUT NOT THE LAST "DRY BENDING" Many of you may not know it, BUT it WORKS and it is a very cheap tool. will add some pic. but it consists of an empty TIN (from Beans etc) which is Strongly faster too a piece of Wood horizontal. Now you take 3-4 candlelight (those from Chenice Restaurant, lit it and 30 min. later the tin is BURNING hot. Now simply add your planks -2mm no problem- and the good thing are, that the planks will stay bend, so one can make a batch
Why some are better than others, you will need to know, what is the raw material of Wood. You may be surprised WOOD is build up of 3 huge SUGAR molecules -YES sugar =GLUCOSE the smallest stone. The 3 parts is Cellulose 40-60% -HehiCellulose 40-60% and about 5 10% Lignin. Each sort has a different amount of mainly of Cellulose and Hemi-celluslose. To destroy this HUGE tridimensional Biochemical complex WE NEED a very high temperature
Thanks El Capi.
As soon as I get to the point of plank bending I will give the tin/candlelight method a try. Only have to pick up some heat-resistant glovesThumbsup.
Herman

Thanks El Capi.
As soon as I get to the point of plank bending I will give the tin/candlelight method a try. Only have to pick up some heat-resistant glovesThumbsup.
Herman
Steamed wood is a great way of bending. Steam for 45 minutes to an hour then clamp in a form until it sets and dries. A bending iron works well too if the wood is thin enough and has been soaked. The roller macine also works quite well but needs to be done slowly. I've tried and used all these methods. I have not used a tin can heated with candles.NetFinished1.jpg

20210126_160313.jpg

20210126_141458.jpg

20210128_135711.jpg

20210128_135659.jpg

Last edited:
Steamed wood is a great way of bending. Steam for 45 minutes to an hour then clamp in a form until it sets and dries. A bending iron works well too if the wood is thin enough and has been soaked. The roller macine also works quite well but needs to be done slowly. I've tried and used all these methods. I have not used a tin can heated with candles.View attachment 299097

View attachment 299099

View attachment 299100

View attachment 299101

View attachment 299102
It works well -sometimes the plank in half a min. before you add the plank over a VERY hot tin. the small amount on water in the plank is transferred into steam, which raises the temperature. 200º or more. ones bend, the plank will mintain it curves without any help.

Hi,
It won't be long until I'll be starting to plank my Santisima Trinidad and what I've noticed is that unlike my two previous builds the planking on this one is thick, so I was wondering what you guys would advise as to which bender would give the best results.

Cheers
IanG
I guess it depends on how thick the planks are and how long they will be I guess ! I soak mine in clean hot water till they are pliable I make a jig or use something with the relative type bend I need! I am currently using a metal pot and clamping the plank to that I use a hairdryer to speed up the drying and let it sit works great for me as I am building the La Soleil Royal with a sharp bend at the bow

Hi Stuglo, the tool you pictured looks very much like my pasta roller which can be adjusted to what ever thickness and pressure I may require.

I guess it depends on how thick the planks are and how long they will be I guess ! I soak mine in clean hot water till they are pliable I make a jig or use something with the relative type bend I need! I am currently using a metal pot and clamping the plank to that I use a hairdryer to speed up the drying and let it sit works great for me as I am building the La Soleil Royal with a sharp bend at the bow
Clamp it in position on the hull, you get the exact bend and twists you need.

I GOT ONE SIMILAR TO THIS ONE FROM THE SAME CO CHRONOS IT WORKED FINE FOR 2 MOS. THEN THE PLASTIC GEARS WENT BAD THE WOOD WOULD NOT TURN THE GEARS ARE STUCK TIHS ONE SEEMS BETTER THE GEARS ARE NOT PLASTIC HAS ANYONE TRIED ANY OF THE VIOLIN/GUITAR BENDING TOOLS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
They have steel gears now....

THANKS PHIL YOU GOT THIS FROM UK IS THAT CORRECT, HOW IS IT WORKING OUT FOR YOU, I MIGHT JUST TREAT MYSELF TO A FARTHERS DAY PRESENT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hi,
It won't be long until I'll be starting to plank my Santisima Trinidad and what I've noticed is that unlike my two previous builds the planking on this one is thick, so I was wondering what you guys would advise as to which bender would give the best results.

Cheers
IanG
I’m from wales originally not from England or Great Britain either I know where you are coming from

Back