PRINTZ FRIDERICH (1761 - 1780) - danish 70-gun Ship of the Line - 1:48 by Karl I. Malcha

Perfect, awesome ship! Unfortunately, it is very rare to see such beauty! Very stylish and neat work. It truly is one of the best in the world.
Totally Agree. I have over 40 Years time build 3 of the sister ship "Norske Loewe" This ship goes absolutely up to the very Top Builders as a few from Rusia and France. Well Done Karl. P.S. at 1700 until 1864 the Danish Border to Germany Preussen) was outside Hamburg ant the name of the Ship in Danish is Prins Frederik (Danish Born)

Already some time ago, when I posted the last photos - this I will do asap.

Today I made a book review of a very interesting Book and Drawing set, showing the danish ship construction in the time of sails

DANSKE ORLOGSSKIBE 1690-1860,
Konstruktion og dekoration

by Bjerg, Hans Christian & John Erichsen

translation of the title:
Danish naval ships 1690 – 1860
Construction and Decoration

View attachment 82588

In this book in Volume I the work of the shipwright F.M. Krabbe, who was the designer of the Printz Friderich, is partly shown

View attachment 82589

View attachment 82590

and also in Volume II the beautiful decoration of the Printz Friderich, made by the carving artist of the shipyard of this time 1761 C.J. Mollerup, are shown
- these drawings are based on contemporary drawings

View attachment 82591

View attachment 82592

View attachment 82593

Here is the link to the Book Review / Look Inside of this beautiful danish book

I HAVE STILL vOLUMEN ONE. It somehow is interested tell me- here or mail- peandersen@telefonica.net- it will be free of charge. the only cost will be the postal cost. as I am slowly closing down -getting too old- but it hearts my hard to through it out to the Bin.

Dear friends,
during my visit of the Shipmodelling Days in Hamburg
(see herefore also the topic https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...-16th-september-2018-report-of-my-visit.2465/ )
I had the opportunity to meet Karl Ingwer Malcha and to see in detail his 1:48 scratch model of the Printz Friderich, a danish 70-gunner launched in 1761.

In the following you will see some photos of his extraordinary model i was able to make in Hamburg. Based on this first contact I received from him several other photos he made during the construction of his model, so I am able to make here in SOS a small building log of his model in the next future. I am will also receive additional information about the ship history, the ornamentation, the timeline of her sinking etc., so I am will be also able to share these interesting information with you.
-> First of all many thanks to Karl sharing with us these info!

BTW: Karl is working since 10 years on this model

The light-conditions were not very good, but I tried the best with different settings - Hope you can Enjoy the extraordinary model:

View attachment 57349

View attachment 57352

View attachment 57353

View attachment 57354

View attachment 57355

View attachment 57356

View attachment 57357

View attachment 57358

View attachment 57359

View attachment 57360

View attachment 57362

View attachment 57361

View attachment 57351
It is such a beautiful build, that most of us like UWE only can dream about to build. To me, it is satisfied as a Danish Born and having served in the Navy - direct and in the reserve until the of 50. and have over the time build 3 builds of Prinz Friderich sister Ship "Norske Love (from Kits). It one better than the other.

Once more many thanks for all the nice comments and likes given - very much appreciated

Today I am able to show some further works with installation of the deck beams inclusive the hanging knees, the carlings and ledges
- step by step to complete the deck over the full length

L1010482.JPG

L1010484.JPG

L1010503.JPG

L1010504.JPG

L1010505.JPG

L1010533.JPG

L1010545.JPG

L1010549.JPG

L1010553.JPG

L1010580.JPG

L1010584.JPG

L1010588.JPG

Many Thanks for your interest - stay tuned - to be continued .....

I am impressed Uwe, I see that you have not made brass rings on the deck hatches black,
Will you make brass details later in the built black?
Greeting-

What can I say...? Just stunning work, you would always dream to make at least close enough...
Yes, Jimmy, that is/ was my dream, but too late now. Am now 75 and a well I know, this work has taken over 10 years. This apart, of all the special Tools as Lathe, Freaezer , Mashin saws etc. Thinks that I never had. Came to a Proxcone/ Dremel late 90, so what I have built was all pure crafting done. When I see some of the working/ tool rooms, I am not going jealous, only a bit sad, that when I was building hard 70-80TH.
all these things were not available. this apart From CAD and other computer programs etc. Newcomers have now so much info- maybe too much- that WE DID NOT HAVE T THAT TIME. The 1Th image is from the Book Holsten-DK and my first big build 1978- 1982- the Norske Love- a sistership to Prinz Federiech scale 1:72. all fittings, even deadeyes, bloks etc were a plastic. later on, I change some of them. there are mistakes with the sails but at that time no information. SORRY FOR THIS LONG STORY, but I see, that I am comming to the end.

holsten.jpgbarco4.jpg

Time for some more photos showing the finishing works on the aft deck beams

L1010600.JPG

L1010596.JPG

pre-assembling of the ladder, so that the supervisor can inspect all areas
L1010633.JPG

L1010636.JPG

L1010638.JPG

here you can see very well the beams from the top, constructed out of three elements
L1010639.JPG

already posted photos in an earlier post
L10104801.jpg L10104761.jpg

Many thanks for your interest .... to be continued

Last edited:
That model is a true Work of Art, it stands as an inspiration to all ship modellers. I would only dream of having such skill. The wood, stated as Swiss Pear, more resembles Maple to my eye, the grain and colour, but then I am no expert. His joinery is perfection, clean, crisp, and to scale. That model when complete will inspire many young and up and coming modellers for generations. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Bob

Many thanks for the overall positive comments and likes.....it is now already four weeks ago since my last post (time is running fast), so have to continue......

Remember the post and the following showing the construction of the powder room and the furniture

Before closing the deck the upper part of powder room and the compartment close to the stern has to be finished with all ladders, walls etc.

L1010739.JPG

L1010742.JPG

L1010734.JPG

L1010735.JPG

L1010737.JPG

L1010738.JPG

To fully understand where we are I add here the longitudinal section
längsschnitt2.jpeg

to be continued ...... hope to make it earlier than four weeks ;)

Back