Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

Cabinet Scrapers
I have been using a basic, rectangular cabinet scraper for years but it only works on flat or convex surface. It will not work on the concave sections of a hull near the stern so I have bought a new set that includes a shaped scraper.
I find scraping the hull planking much more effective than sanding. When flat planks are laid on the curved edge of a bulkhead they naturally stand a bit proud of its surface at their edges. A scraper will concentrate initially on these raised prtions and rapidly eliminate them. Scraping is also less messy than sanding: the scrapings are larger than the dust generated by sanding . They just fall on the bench rather than becoming airborne. This is desirable when working indoors rather than a workshop. If the scrapings are collected and mixed with a bit of PVA glue they make a good caulking material.
View attachment 424037
Hi. How are you sharpening these? Cheers.

I have gone bonkers this past month , purchased a new proxxon table saw , scroll saw , miter saw and mini wood lathe , a new Fordom SR, ( my old one packed it in after 20 years ). And I picked up a Marathon mini rotary carving tool. And a ton of carving knives and palm engravers.
God I love Tools

IMG_8568.jpeg

IMG_8484.jpeg

IMG_8483.jpeg

If you want the best most versatile & quiet go with the Foredom MicroMotor.
Yes it's pricey but I've always said 'You get what you pay for'

What about torque? similar to the Classic Foredom SR or relies more on speed like the Dremel 4000? I really like working at low speed, but it needs torque for that.

What about torque? similar to the Classic Foredom SR or relies more on speed like the Dremel 4000? I really like working at low speed, but it needs torque for that.
I don't have the actual torque values however, it has full torque at 500 rpm and throughout its speed range. never had an issue with it stalling at low speed.

The one I buy are pretty strong, can't hold them with the hand. But keep in mind, drilling holes bigger then 1,5 mm. use a bigger machine. These are made for small work or sanding/milling (axially for the nail studio) . And therefore they are perfect. I use the them to shape the wood like ornaments like Ivan Trtanj does. Sanding and small holes.

Hi,

I orderd rigging twine from https://www.modellbau-takelgarn.com/
0,3mm (beige), 0,5mm and 1,3mm

In the photo in comparision with the Occre twines
  • the Occre 0,15mm has nearly the same thickness as the 0,3
  • the Occre 0,5, I would say has double the thickness of the 0,5
  • the Occre 1,5mm is about the same thickness as the 1,3
1708539447934.jpeg

This new twine has a much nicer structure, especally the thin ones and absolutly no "micro twines" [no idea how to describe it]
1708539992307.png

As I already started the rigging of my Polaris with the Occre twine I will continue with it.

Hi,

I orderd rigging twine from https://www.modellbau-takelgarn.com/
0,3mm (beige), 0,5mm and 1,3mm

In the photo in comparision with the Occre twines
  • the Occre 0,15mm has nearly the same thickness as the 0,3
  • the Occre 0,5, I would say has double the thickness of the 0,5
  • the Occre 1,5mm is about the same thickness as the 1,3
View attachment 429462

This new twine has a much nicer structure, especally the thin ones and absolutly no "micro twines" [no idea how to describe it]
View attachment 429471

As I already started the rigging of my Polaris with the Occre twine I will continue with it.
Thank you for posting your new twine. I'm also constructing an Occre model & will consider buying new twine.

Occre is cotton, and you always need to thread it with wax to get rid of the micro twines and make it look thinner. But the other yarn looks great.

I just installed a nice dust collection system in the workshop, made up of 2 1/2 inch system with blast gates then vacuum hose accessories and hose kit from busy bee and my trusty old Charles shop vac
Now all I have to do is clean up the old dust and keep the new dust in the system

IMG_8607.jpeg

IMG_8605.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

IMG_8604.jpeg

Back