Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

Ha ha , the 95 dollar rotary tool I got from Amazon labeled Marathon made in Korea lasted 2 days. The thing overheated and cramped out on me.
Time to go and get the real deal sold by Fordom

View attachment 428715
Hi Artin,
It might just be bad luck with Marathon... I have been using it for more than 10 years, quite excessively, without any problem at all. Actually I am wrong: the speed control foot pedal gave up after a few weeks, but I have been using the unit since then with manual speed control (the knob) without any problem.
János

@Artin, Prooxon has a lot of good tools, if they don't deliver to Canada then I would go for the (Byrnes) thickness sander, which is very popular here at SOS,
i think it is more accurate than a Prooxon and, I would think Byrnes ships to Canada since they are made in the USA, Good luck-

@Artin, Prooxon has a lot of good tools, if they don't deliver to Canada then I would go for the (Byrnes) thickness sander, which is very popular here at SOS,
i think it is more accurate than a Prooxon and, I would think Byrnes ships to Canada since they are made in the USA, Good luck-
I would love to get the Byrnes , however they are not taking any orders for the time being

From Byrnes Model Machines Website:

We are in the process of personal and corporate recovery
from the loss of Jim ...

We will not be accepting orders for machines
until further notice, but you may still order
accessories.

We need to complete an inventory and business
reorganization.

My new electric Treenail maker!!! OK so it's a pencil sharpener, lol I have to say this works really good, I cut a piece of cherry or walnut or whatever you want at 1/4 x1/4 about the size of a pencil and round the corners and that's it, I also got a manual one it also works well, I have a plan for the manual one, I will pull the handle off and connect it to a small electric motor , I've seen it done with a drill,I'll see how long the electric one lasts.

View attachment 423712

View attachment 423713

View attachment 423714

View attachment 423715

Just an update on the Dremel Moto Saw, I'm really pleased with it, just two clamps to hold it to the bench or two screws if you want to have it permanently in place,

81cBMggNPsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91kTZrVdwWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

76.jpg
These are the first cuts that i have done, the foot holds the work nicely and the blade has a really fine cut,

77.jpg
closer look, has I said I'm really pleased with it and for $100 its fantastic, I will try it out on thicker wood later on,

best regards John,

Just an update on the Dremel Moto Saw, I'm really pleased with it, just two clamps to hold it to the bench or two screws if you want to have it permanently in place,

View attachment 430878

View attachment 430879

View attachment 430876
These are the first cuts that i have done, the foot holds the work nicely and the blade has a really fine cut,

View attachment 430877
closer look, has I said I'm really pleased with it and for $100 its fantastic, I will try it out on thicker wood later on,

best regards John,
Do you think a Proxxon could also be used with this?

Cheap and cheerful
I bought this electric drill a while ago; the multitool is new (£25). Both are fairly feeble but well up to the demands posed by ship modelling. They are less cumbersome than their 5GW corded big brothers out in the 'garage'. The multitool is useful for sawing off bulkhead extensions flush with the deck after planking the bulwalks.
Cordless_tools[1].jpg

I'm not sure what you mean Graham, this saw is not worked by a Rotary tool, it has its own motor built-in, hope this helps,
Best regards John,
I see, I misunderstood the first photo which I thought was a rotary tool clamped in the underside. Thanks.

Cheap and cheerful
I bought this electric drill a while ago; the multitool is new (£25). Both are fairly feeble but well up to the demands posed by ship modelling. They are less cumbersome than their 5GW corded big brothers out in the 'garage'. The multitool is useful for sawing off bulkhead extensions flush with the deck after planking the bulwalks.
View attachment 431176
I have supplemented the multool with some attachments. Narrow plunge saw blades (10mm) that should be useful for cutting gun ports, windows and doorways with edges >11mm. For smaller openings I could, perhaps cut a saltire as a starting cut or possibly grind a bit off the side of the blade. I tried a practice cut on a gash piece of plywood. The "finger sander" (not a manicure accessory!) will be useful for sanding into the corners of decks etc.
Multitool[1].jpg

Lathes
This post could possibly have been entered in the thread "mistakes made by beginners". The picture below includes a Mantua lathe that I bought some time ago. It is mainly plastic. Together with its transformer it costs £151 at today's prices. It failed after very limited use.
Also in the picture is a Proxxon lathe that I acquired yesterday for £167. It is so much better.
I think I was duped into buying the Mantua because it appears on the web sites of kit vendors. I should have done more research! Many on this forum appear to have this Proxxon and, rightly, speak well of it.
Lathes[1].jpg

A few additions to my tools: A compressor with tank, air eraser (for laser burn removal), airbrush and a set of media and RGB/CMYK ink sets (few shown here) to build my own paint at any hues, teint, tone and shades. It has been a long time (30-40 years) I have been painting... lot to learn.

IMG_2066.jpeg

IMG_2055.jpeg

Back