Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

I'm brand new in this world and for my very first model I wanted to try if I could build the Blandford cross section. Since it will likely end up in the trash bin I don't want to use any fancy wood types but before I have even started I have come to the conclusion that it is mission impossible to find any cheap wood in the proper dimensions in the local building supply store.

I have a Ryobi table saw which makes a faily smooth cut when building a playhouse for the kids but not good enough for boards and planking for a small scale ship model. The cost of a thickness planer is way more than I want to throw in the project so I thought I'd try if I could make one myself. Got some inspiration from the internet and cobbled this togethers from leftovers:
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0790.JPG
1 revolution = 0,15 mm ; 1 divison = apr. 2 μm ;) :pIMG_0792.JPG
Next project is a thickness sander

Last edited:
My old klunker of a belt sander gave up the ghost yesterday and with the Admiral's blessing I received an early birthday present.....P1010979.JPGP1010980.JPG
So far three fingers have very little skin left of the first joints and four finger tips and nails are a bit on the flat side.
The belt and disk are 80 grit, the hardware shop had no 100x914mm belts or 150mm self adhesive disks (thanks to Covid freight is extremely slow from interstate)

Don´t buy any ruler ! Buy quality ruler ! My last buy in a german hardware store was a disapoinntment how shows the first picture.
I bought now any new ruler from the same manufacturer that i use since the beginning. I use the rulers in a lot of different places. In the shop, in the office. Its very important that they all have the same quality.

20200707_122256.jpg20200707_121845.jpg20200707_121944.jpg

Last edited:
Don´t buy any ruler ! Buy quality ruler ! My last buy in a german hardware store was a disapoinntment how shows the first picture.
I bought now any new ruler from the same manufacturer that i use since the beginning. I use the rulers in a lot of different places. In the shop, in the office. Its very important that they all have the same quality.

View attachment 163044View attachment 163045View attachment 163046
and you got a really big box with the rulers. ;)
But you are right - it is sometimes crazy how inaccurate some of the cheap measurement equipment are

I had seen a video on how the steel rulers are made, the part where the numbers and divisions are done were done in two ways, one was they were etched with a laser, the other was where they were rolled on. The rolling process was done under pressure the areas with numbers etc. press into the metal minutely spreading the metal so over 300mm the metal may be as much as 2mm longer on softer steels.
The better rulers are the laser etched ones but more expensive.

Back