Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

Not yet, I literally opened the box and took the photos.
I will test them in the garage on the weekend as I need to finish a display case that has thin veneer epoxied to the edges of the perspex.
We'll see how sharp they are out of the box and then I'll 'scary' sharpen and tune them and we'll see how they perform.

Not yet, I literally opened the box and took the photos.
I will test them in the garage on the weekend as I need to finish a display case that has thin veneer epoxied to the edges of the perspex.
We'll see how sharp they are out of the box and then I'll 'scary' sharpen and tune them and we'll see how they perform.
If they work well please post info for others to buy!

Maybe a short blog on use, care and fine tuning as you mentioned

well didnt gert any new tools for my shop, however the last month I been bedridden with pneumonia due to when I went back to work boss asked if i would run the onsite warehouse for our remodel and I didnt think and said yes so working 8 hrs a day outside in hot then cold and cold rain I got a very bad case of pneumonia.

But 2 weeks ago I got a care package with a prepaid visa so I made an order from Ancre for the monographie and plans for the corvette L'Amarante 1747 and I got home from my first day back at work today and it was sitting on my porch )). they have gotten a lot better on shipping as my last couple orders took almost 2 months to arrive. Kudos to them.

So I have to get back to the SHips wheel plan and next paycheck I will get some of the more important plan sheets scanned in so I can start making a 3D model of it.

So I took the planes into the workshop to give them a good workout and found that they are not very sharp out of the box. 20201213_120755.jpg
Below you can see the before and after results:
The blue arrow is the wood surface being planed- a softwood.
Red arrow is a plane blade straight out of the box, the red circles are the small shavings and large dust as a result of using the planes with the unsharpened blades.
The Green arrow is the result of sharpening the blade on a 1000 grit diamond stone and stropped (total 10mins). The new shavings are right next to the blade.
13122020.jpg
Would I recommend these planes?: Yes, but they are not good to go straight out of the box, A bit of TLC gives very good results.
P.S I don't have any material to test the concave and convex planes as yet, however I'm sure they will be useful when fairing large discrepancies on the inside and outside of hulls or forming solid hulls.

Last edited:
Today I received two bags (each 1kg) with decoration stones - with this I want to imitate the ballast stones in the hold of my CAF Le Coureur.
I was looking for grey, but I found only black in moment.
The small one have 2-3mm, the bigger ones 7-9mm - so in scale of 1:48 it would be 10 - 14cm and 34 - 43cm - so still possible to handle by the hands of seamen

IMG-5215.jpg

IMG-5216.jpg

The idea was grown by the CAF photo, although I think, that these stones are too big, but they give a good impression
25.jpg

Here is the link to my building log

Since yesterday there are rumors in austria, that we are close to the third lockdown,
so I decided to prepare myself - So if I need a brake from modeling........

A new flat TV with soundbar and a new blueray player and some other small, but nice music equipment ........

IMG-5226.jpg

We will have plenty of time to use it in the next weeks

Today I received a parcel from my friend Didier Berti from ancre with some new publications

IMG-5246.jpg

first of all the new monograph of the

LA VOLAGE – A long bark - 1693 by Jean-Claude LEMINEUR

In moment I received the French copy from which I will make a review during the christmas holidays,
the English copy will be released end of January, and as soon as I receive this one, I will adjust and add this also to the review

and

Fitting and rigging a 74-gun model ship by my friend and SOS member @Francis Jonet

This guide is an help to the construction of the equipment of a ship model of the late XVIIIth and early XIXth centuries, but is applicable to any other era of wooden shipbuilding. AVAILABLE in English.

a little bit more than one year ago, I got a copy of the original book, once privately published by Francis directly, from which I made already a book review
I am happy to see now, that there is an long awaited version in English available

In addition I received this:

IMG-5247.jpg

LA MARINE DE LOUIS XVI by Patrick VILLIERS​

I received the book as well as the set with 45 plans

and as usual every year the nice Calendar for 2021

IMG-5248.jpg

List of shown models:
LA VOLAGE - Long boat from Dunkirk - 1693 (12/2020)
LE LEUDO - Barque Latine Ligure - 1913 (2021)
LA FLEUR DE LIS - Galleys of Louis XIV- 1690
LE ROCHEFORT - Harbor Yachts - 1787
LE COMMERCE DE MARSEILLE - 118 cannons - 1788

so stayed tuned during the Christmas holidays - I have a lot to read and soon you will find some reviews here in SOS

Lucky You I would love to collect some of them books I read through and learn more abt french ship design with each i get. I got the 74 gun series, the Le Fleuron, and recently the L'Amarante, but would like to sometime get one of the first or second rate ship books

Ok, well nothing much to report except I did finally recieve my Model Shipways Rattlesnake kit yesterday. It took 2 months to get it and I'm not to excited about the company I ordered it from. The kit was ordered Dec.4.2019. The same day I recieved an email from them stating that the order was recieved and was being processed for shipment. I would recieve notice when shipped along with tracking number. 2 weeks go by and .....nothing. So being the kind of person who wants to know what is going on I tried to contact them both through their "contact us" page on their web site as well as sending a reply to the one email I did recieve. The response I recieved was "we are unaware of any communication - we will look into the matter and get back to you." Fishy. Then nothing . I then tried to contact them the end of the week before Christmas and their reply was - "Closed for the holidays." After the holidays I tried again. I was told "Closed for the weekend" - this was on a Thurs. Finally lodged a complaint against them with the Better Business Bureau and it was then that I realized I should have looked at their rating before ordering ( F's across the board). The BBB told me it typically takes about 30 days for resolution of complaints, and to just sit tight and wait. Finally after an additional month I get an email from the company asking if I still want the model. Of course I did so I replied to them that yes I did. Then they inform me that the model had been back ordered but was now in stock and would be shipped immediately. Which it apparently was. Now I don't know about you guys, but to me if they had just informed me at the beginning of this that it was back-ordered I wouldn't have a problem with them. But their customer service totally sucks!!!! Needless to say I will not be ordering from them again any time soon. I don't care if they are offering 50% of retail - which they were on the Rattlesnake - the lack of communication is a real put-off. Oh, by the way the company calls themselves "Internet Hobbies,LLC " and is based out of Pennsylvania.
I just didn't pay attention.
Geeze, I ordered the Kitty Hawk Aircraft on Oct 15. 1/48 SH2F Seasprite USN Helicopter Kit × 1 from Internet Hobbies. They charged my credit card but I havn't got the kit yet. Contacted them 3 times but excuses excuses. Last was Dec 14 and they said it was "in shipping and will go out tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. " Still havn't seen it.
How do these companies stay in business? Well, dummies like me I guess.
I ordered my Bluenose kit and it arrived from China in 20 days.

EJ

P1019045.JPGP1019049.JPG

A selection of recently acquired goodies. Albatros from ebay. Model Shipwright magazines with plans for a 'fife' fishing boat among others also ebay. HMS Bounty - del prado build - ebay. Picket Boat, brand new xmas gift from me to me. That's next year sorted then

View attachment 201512View attachment 201513

A selection of recently acquired goodies. Albatros from ebay. Model Shipwright magazines with plans for a 'fife' fishing boat among others also ebay. HMS Bounty - del prado build - ebay. Picket Boat, brand new xmas gift from me to me. That's next year sorted then
I like the cut-away to the interior view. Nice work. Rich (PT-2)

Back