Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

I am now in my new abode and finally have finished assembling my new garden shed despite not having a garden which I have been informed, is to be my work/make a mess area. So, I retain my small student study desk for minor evening/nighttime work, touch-ups and rigging while the Shed will be my heaven.

A friend gifted to me this lather that had been gifted to him by his father who had it gifted to him by another ex-Polish soldier with whom he had become friends with during WW2 while both were stationed in England. – Lathe age or make remains a mystery.

Always viewed SOS with a little envy at the machinery and related skills displayed by members that use lathes, drill presses that don’t wobble and Mills. Now here I am totally terrified because I have a problem, the problem being that I have the problem of not having any idea for what to use this heavy in perfectly good working order lathe nor how to use it. No doubt eventually I’ll enjoy many wonderful hours destroying bits and pieces and hopefully not fingers.

Lathe 01.png

Lathe 02.png

Lathe 03.png

Last edited:
I am now in my new abode and finally have finished assembling my new garden shed despite not having a garden which I have been informed, is to be my work/make a mess area. So, I retain my small student study desk for minor evening/nighttime work, touch-ups and rigging while the Shed will be my heaven.

A friend gifted to me this lather that had been gifted to him by his father who had it gifted to him by another ex-Polish soldier with whom he had become friends with during WW2 while both were stationed in England. – Lathe age or make remains a mystery.

Always viewed SOS with a little envy at the machinery and related skills displayed by members that use lathes, drill presses that don’t wobble and Mills. Now here I am totally terrified because I have a problem, the problem being that I have the problem of not having any idea for what to use this heavy in perfectly good working order lathe nor how to use it. No doubt eventually I’ll enjoy many wonderful hours destroying bits and pieces and hopefully not fingers.

View attachment 386548

View attachment 386549

View attachment 386550
Wow! That's a beauty! Have fun!

@ConsNZ

That's an interesting little lathe! With back gears and an odd little leadscrew or power feed driven off of something that is no longer with the machine via the gear at the end of the screw. If you want to do some digging to ID it, try :
It's a massive database so you'll have to narrow your search somehow- maybe look for "rod bed lathe", or "round belt". It looks like the ones on it are urethane, but round leather belts were standard on sewing machines. Are the threads metric or imperial? That could narrow it down a bit too. You could also ask at:
That board is more focused on full size US made equipment, but they would find your lathe pretty intriguing.

@ConsNZ

That's an interesting little lathe! With back gears and an odd little leadscrew or power feed driven off of something that is no longer with the machine via the gear at the end of the screw. If you want to do some digging to ID it, try :
It's a massive database so you'll have to narrow your search somehow- maybe look for "rod bed lathe", or "round belt". It looks like the ones on it are urethane, but round leather belts were standard on sewing machines. Are the threads metric or imperial? That could narrow it down a bit too. You could also ask at:
That board is more focused on full size US made equipment, but they would find your lathe pretty intriguing.
Thank you for the links and "WOW!" your correct they are massive. I can see much time being spent searching and researching the sites. Submitting photos to them should help. Cheers.

View attachment 386548

View attachment 386549

View attachment 386550
Well you can always google lathe use instruction or check YouTube where everybody wants to show how they do things.

The fun is just practicing and learning how it may benefit your hobby work. It becomes a new hobby in of itself.

No shit, this really works!

View attachment 388672

I bought on Ali-express a cleaning stick for sanding machines. It makes your used sanding disk so clean, that you can use it much longer. Perfect because the replacement disks aren't cheap.

After I cleaned it. I got no picture of it before, but it looks like it needed to be replace by a new one

View attachment 388673

YES - I can totally recommend such a stick - it is like a big rubber eraser -
I do it maybe once a week with my disc sander but also helpful with the drumsander

No shit, this really works!

View attachment 388672

I bought on Ali-express a cleaning stick for sanding machines. It makes your used sanding disk so clean, that you can use it much longer. Perfect because the replacement disks aren't cheap.

After I cleaned it. I got no picture of it before, but it looks like it needed to be replace by a new one

View attachment 388673

I,m a cheat I use the rubber crepe soles from the bottom of sport shoes, it works great,
Best regards John,

It seems kind of odd to be posting about sandpaper here - but I have been fairing a POF model in boxwood and this sandpaper is so far superior to anything else I've tried that I thought I should at least share:

This stuff actually cuts into the hard boxwood rather than skidding over the top of it - and seems to have a longer working life as well.

It seems kind of odd to be posting about sandpaper here - but I have been fairing a POF model in boxwood and this sandpaper is so far superior to anything else I've tried that I thought I should at least share:

This stuff actually cuts into the hard boxwood rather than skidding over the top of it - and seems to have a longer working life as well.
Can you post a picture of the package? Somehow here in the Netherlands its a forbidden site to visit

Back