Purchased shortly ago / sthg new in your workshop -> present it here

@Norway

One thing important for the Proxxon thicknesser. In the manual you can read in two little sentences that it will be good to use a lubrificant for the work with the machine. I started without and the wood damaged the little aluminiumtable with marks and scratches. This marks damaged the next wood and every wood was with marks on the bottom. The Proxxonservice me explain that its better to use a wood lubrificant to avoid any damage on the machine. I use the lubrificant now also on my saw. But not every lubirifcant is for aluminium, you have to choise the right one !

@Norway

One thing important for the Proxxon thicknesser. In the manual you can read in two little sentences that it will be good to use a lubrificant for the work with the machine. I started without and the wood damaged the little aluminiumtable with marks and scratches. This marks damaged the next wood and every wood was with marks on the bottom. The Proxxonservice me explain that its better to use a wood lubrificant to avoid any damage on the machine. I use the lubrificant now also on my saw. But not every lubirifcant is for aluminium, you have to choise the right one !
Interesting information
- how can I imagine the use of this? Are you putting some oil or grease on the aluminium table? Which one are you using?

Oliver, thank you for telling this problem, I just got new on insurance then pull on the mechanism
The last one stopped working, these are machines that have very complicated machinery that ordinary people shouldn't try to fix themselves.
Can you explain a little more about this problem, preferably with pictures with arrows on and where to lubricate,
what lubricant and a little about what damage you have told about. thanks.

Note Oliver, forgot to say, there are probably very many here on SOS who have such a machine (Proxxon thicker)
And therefore, this is very important information since this is an expensive machine.
Hilsen-

Hello,

Here is a picture of the damage. Only little spots that marks the wood. And a long scratch. Its difficult to check, if the marks are up or down. It test it with the fingernail. Maybe not all are up, i dont know but the marks on the wood shows here a problem. I used a fine sanding paper to remove the spots.. I bought this lubricate and it works very well also with the other machines. https://www.ebay.de/itm/201842721831
For example you can use it on the table from the spindelsander, the saw. Its more simple to push the wood with this lubricate.
Here is my answer from the proxxon-service:

vielen Dank für Ihre Mail.

Gerne helfen wir Ihnen weiter.
Ich habe Ihnen hier auch nochmals das Manual angehangen.
Hier ist unter Pos. Schmierung , beschrieben wie Sie den Alutisch mit einem Gleitwachs versehen können.
Dieses Gleitwachs verhindert das sich das Holz in den Alutisch einarbeiten kann.
Durch den Anpressdruck des Werkstückes kann es vorkommen das das Holz Kratzer in den Alutisch bringt, bzw das Holz sich verfärbt.
Dieses Gleitwachs dient generell dazu bei Schreinermaschinen für leicht gängigere Bewegung auf dem Tisch zu sorgen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Here is a picture of the damage. Only little spots that marks the wood. And a long scratch. Its difficult to check, if the marks are up or down. It test it with the fingernail. Maybe not all are up, i dont know but the marks on the wood shows here a problem. I used a fine sanding paper to remove the spots.. I bought this lubricate and it works very well also with the other machines. https://www.ebay.de/itm/201842721831
For example you can use it on the table from the spindelsander, the saw. Its more simple to push the wood with this lubricate.
Here is my answer from the proxxon-service:

vielen Dank für Ihre Mail.

Gerne helfen wir Ihnen weiter.
Ich habe Ihnen hier auch nochmals das Manual angehangen.
Hier ist unter Pos. Schmierung , beschrieben wie Sie den Alutisch mit einem Gleitwachs versehen können.
Dieses Gleitwachs verhindert das sich das Holz in den Alutisch einarbeiten kann.
Durch den Anpressdruck des Werkstückes kann es vorkommen das das Holz Kratzer in den Alutisch bringt, bzw das Holz sich verfärbt.
Dieses Gleitwachs dient generell dazu bei Schreinermaschinen für leicht gängigere Bewegung auf dem Tisch zu sorgen.

View attachment 82455
Many thanks for the additional information - good to know - I will give it a try Thumbs-Up

Oliver, thanks for the good information, in the instruction manual says that you should not use lubricant,
then I think they mean lubricants on the mechanical parts as, for example,
the threads on the height adjustment and other mechanical components,
I think if you have small amounts of lubrication on the table then it has nothing to say

Interesting information
- how can I imagine the use of this? Are you putting some oil or grease on the aluminium table? Which one are you using?
Hi Uwe and all, I am using car wax to prep the aluminium surfaces. Same techniques as you would wax the car: Rub the surface, let it dry and wipe out the excess. Initially, before the fist time use, make a good treatment. Then, you can do from time to time.

Hi Uwe and all, I am using car wax to prep the aluminium surfaces. Same techniques as you would wax the car: Rub the surface, let it dry and wipe out the excess. Initially, before the fist time use, make a good treatment. Then, you can do from time to time.
Thanks Jim......that's a brilliant idea.

My summer project turned up this morning and I ordered it on Monday lunchtime talk about good service.View attachment 82587
The Bismarck in big scale of 1:200 - a huge project......and cardboard - wow
Looking forward to see this model construction in a building log.

Hi Everyone, Some time ago I showed a type of thickness sander, called THE LUTHIERS FRIEND, I now have it up and running, so far I am happy with it have done 3 test pieces of 3/16 inch, 1/16 inch and 1/8 inch of different materials Boxwood and Swiss pear, one thing is if you have a thick piece of timber better off resawing it down to managable thickness, then run it through( MY BAND SAW NEEDS A CHANGE OF BEARING GUIDES, CARTER) the other thing is I can not get the micro adjustment to move it, MY FAULT still have to practise more, in summarry so far well worth the money, the dust colletion system works well also8259682597

Last edited by a moderator:
@Norway I would be interested in the Proxxon turning chisel set. Does anyone recommend those? Are they good quality and hold a sharp edge for a long time? Specifically with Proxxon lathe...

Jim, I don't know, but they are shown on the same page as the lathe in the proxy directory.
Wondering if they are the same as Mike has.
Maybe someone else at SOS can tell us something about the quality they have.
I chose these just to have something to start with.

I have the chisel set, but the spin rate, wood size & capability of the little db250 does not present much of a challenge to the chisels. I have had for 2 years and cut lots spars & colums and have had no issues with them. The are nicely put together and appear to be of good quality.

Back