Questions about lumber options for the canoe build.

Hello,
I am staring this thread to group questions related to lumber options: mainly where to get lumber for this project and what kind of lumber members can get.

We have options for this "group build":

- one supplier located in North America to provide lumber mostly for the continent- as explained here:
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/getting-started-how-to-purchase-plans-materials.5302/
The canoe package in cedar or cherry ...
... and more by special order (including pear wood), please inquire on your own.

- one supplier located in Russia to mostly service possible members located in Europe. - as explained here:
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...started-how-to-purchase-plans-materials.5344/
The canoe package is in Pear wood...
... but Sergey also carried other species for you to inquire on your own

I need to mention that
- both suppliers will ship world wide.
- both suppliers have a very good reputation within the model ship building community.

All this said:
There are other suppliers:
- someone mentioned 1 from Germany.
- Personally, I have used a different supplier in North America for my needs and for quite sometime.
- modelers from all over may have their owns sources.

And lastly:
I am not affiliated with any of the suppliers listed within the scope of this project. I have no financial interest or benefit from any of them.

Gilles

Last edited:
Well, I just couldn't let this go. I'm really interested in this "pear" stuff. So, I contacted Sergey by PM and told him I wanted to order a package in pear. He was at work, but replied and said he would get back to me on the order - no problem.

EJ

I have done the same, as in asking for a pearwood kit.

Let me know what he says and what cost is. shipping shouldn't be much different from MI to OK.

Hey Gilles...
Just a general interest question if you don’t mind...
Isn’t there a local source for pear wood around here.? Especially if you are wanting “pieces” instead of “kit” lumber. It would seem that shipping would drive the prices WAY up.

You know, just thinking.....?????
Do not misunderstand
"lumber kit" - it is not a kit - it is pure number of strips with different dimensions and a sheet -
so it is more a "material set" - in another topic here the list of necessary material is given
This Canoe is a real scratch build

Last edited:
Hello Howard,
There are should be local sources for sure, I spend a day to search one in Brooklyn. None of them have the suitable wood for modeling and you have to buy in large quantities, they don't work for retailers.
One of the good source for wood will be Rockler, they have some wood species and if you can walk in the store - you can choose what you want. For mail orders they send not so good timber. But you will not find there Pearwood. Swish Pear boxwood...

Sorry but your figures are wrong - it will be not so expensive. The given appr. 50 Euros for one set mentioned before were already inclusive postage in Europe. I payed around 90 Euros for two sets in pear free shipped to my home. Also Paypal fees are included. And the postage costs are appr. 1/3 of the total costs. So the wood is much cheaper

Sergey sent me an email with quote, $ 55 USD, which he said only $ 27 was actual wood costs. Balance was shipping and PayPal fees.

Well, Moskow isn't in the midwest. Shipping by FedX, zone 8 (1801 or more miles), standard saver rate, 2 pound package, here in the states costs $30.10. Of course that's 3-4 day delivery.

EJ

Just a quick note here. I deleted all of my long-winded posts on “Floaty Boaty” build log. EJ’s log was completely hijacked. I was partially responsible. I hate that.

So, quickly, Uwek has convinced me to contact Sergey, and I have done so. We are discussing my order and potential shipping options. As soon as I have more pertinent information, I will post it here.

Fingers crossed..!!

Following a few questions about lumber: ie shipping and delivery comparison between the 2 referenced suppliers

Well, the supplier I normally use is located in Massachusetts, I am located on the east coat of Canada, so relatively close by: the package, which is usually processed the next day, usually takes on about a week and half (from the time it ends up at the post office), sometimes 2, to get to me by regular mail, the cost is normally around US $ 24: the expedited shipping, which I never use would be almost double that. The difference in shipping cost is never justifiable in my view.
The order from Sergey is ready to be shipped as of last night, about a day after confirmation, and he expects that order to make it to Canada within 2 to 3 weeks by regular mail.
The only thing I know about the order coming from the US is that it has been acknowledged and ready for production, but not quite produced yet as I am writing this. After the confusion of finding out who was supposed to receive the order, It took a while (a few days ) to figure out the final pricing of the package itself and at this point no idea as to shipping cost yet. And we are already almost a week into the process. Once ready for shipping by regular mail, I am quite sure that it will take at least a week to get to me.
So the difference between the 2 options might end up being days, and the cost by regular mail is expected to basically be the same: from Ohio to my post office.
I get packages from ANCRE every once in a while, sometimes it take a couple of weeks, sometime three.

3 things I know are
- This is the first go around for this particular situation within this group build.
- the system needs to be "oiled" before it runs smooth.
- that none of these items are ordered through amazon where they may have qualified for free shipping and delivered in 3-4 days.

Not complaining..... just saying...
G.

Okay..... I just received the following information from Sergey. I’ll just copy his entire message so there is no doubt...

Hello Howard.
Your package will weigh about 2 kg. For the entire territory of the U.S., the Russian Post has a uniform shipping rate, depending on weight. 2 kg will cost about $ 35 by regular mail. An expedited method will cost about $ 55.
The bad news was told to me at the post office today. Since the restrictions related to the Covid 19 pandemic have not yet been lifted, all parcels intended for shipment abroad can be kept in customs for 2 weeks in quarantine. Therefore, at the customs will be all the parcels, both ordinary and expedited. It turns out that you get expedited 1-2 days earlier from ordinary.
Apparently the delivery will not be fast...... :( I do not know how long these restrictions will last.

Best regards Sergey

So I guess my original thoughts were correct. Unfortunately...

I am going to place an order today anyway. I expect delivery to be at least a month, maybe longer. I’ll start the way I originally planned.....with Dave’s Cherry package.
—-SMH—-

OK...
I just completed my order for Pear wood with Sergey. I ordered the bundle for the canoe build the way Sergey had it listed. I also ordered six additional planks 500 x 50 x 8 mm. Those six additional planks cost almost as much as the entire canoe package.!! My total bill came to $96 and change.

The wood including the extra planks came to $55.00. The other $40.00 was shipping and PayPal charges.

So, here’s what I know. The Pear wood itself is very reasonable, even from Russia., exactly like Uwek said. The shipping costs are high though. And, the delivery time is WAY up in the air because of the COVID19 virus.
If you live in Europe, it’s very reasonable. Here in the west, it’s still a decent deal as long as you are not pushed for time and/or are willing to wait.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes...

Last edited:
I am about to start a run of timbering for the project in Cherry and Red Cedar
if you are here in the States the shipping is reasonable if order outside the states shipping cost go way up.

it will take 3 to 4 day to do a run of 10 and shipping time within the US is 3 days.

i can do custom orders in different wood if you asking for pearwood there is a big difference between Pearwood that is natural pearwood and the color is cream yellow to gold, Steamed pear is pinkish.

if your in Europe order from a supplier there and save shipping costs

max delivery time is 2 weeks

Gilles, does your regular supplier have Pear for canoe builds?

No pear ... These days I have have been using cherry only ..... but that is about to change...

I have been using them for the past 3 years (since I moved to the east coast):

G

Back