Ratlines

G'day mate
I know what you mean.
The rats are my least favourite part of our hobby.
Look at this post, and you may find it's easier and less boring.
I think Lawrence has given us all the golden method, to make I almost enjoyable.
Happymodeling
Greg

I hate doing ratlines!!!
Just saying!
Ja Ja - Jep
there are some monotonous works, which can be like a spine in the skin......
ratlines
planking
gun tackles (if you have 100 to tackle)
I say every time to myself - everything will end once
If necessary make a break with the monotonous work of ratlines and make the masts or yard arms of another mast - and after some time you go back to the ratlines......

YOU WILL MAKE IT
BE STRONG
GRIT YOUR TEETH

G'day mate
I know what you mean.
The rats are my least favourite part of our hobby.
Look at this post, and you may find it's easier and less boring.
I think Lawrence has given us all the golden method, to make I almost enjoyable.
Happymodeling
Greg
Hello Greg, Thanks for your very kind words. Please say hello to your Admiral for us OK.
Regards Lawrence

Ja Ja - Jep
there are some monotonous works, which can be like a spine in the skin......
ratlines
planking
gun tackles (if you have 100 to tackle)
I say every time to myself - everything will end once
If necessary make a break with the monotonous work of ratlines and make the masts or yard arms of another mast - and after some time you go back to the ratlines......

YOU WILL MAKE IT
BE STRONG
GRIT YOUR TEETH
Hello Uwe, Thanks, Yes that is for sure, and in building these model ships there are a lot of these less enjoyable tasks, but we survive.
Regards Lawrence

don't mind rat lines, goes fast once you get in the groove. For me it's cannon tackle. built 1 heavy frigate with 30 plus guns, kept jumping over to other parts, but eventually you have to do them. i found doing 2 at a time kept the yuk factor down. think i will stick to cutters
Hello Shipahoy, I thank you for your visit to my build log. Yes this is exactly what I do when tying Ratlines, I also tend to search the Great SOS Form after and between tying a few rows, making the task much more pleasant but it takes longer.
Regards Lawrence

must take a very small sewing needle?
Hello Ken S:, Thank you for your visit to my build log. I have never tried this method of sewing Ratlines, for this you would have to ask Brian, Good Luck. I would emagion it would be quite difficult to sew trough a server Shroud.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ken S:, Thank you for your visit to my build log. I have never tried this method of sewing Ratlines, for this you would have to ask Brian, Good Luck. I would emagion it would be quite difficult to sew trough a server Shroud.
Regards Lawrence
Hi Lawrence,
its really quite easy when you are building at 1/64 or 1/48 scale. I still tie off the ends of the ratlines for stability.

I hate doing ratlines!!!
Just saying!
I was having trouble controlling the free end of the ratline thread when tying clove hitches on the first shroud.
The Caldercraft thread is a bit springy and the first loop of the clove hitch tended to come undone.
I tried various solutions (involving paper clips etc) which failed.
I have now solved the problem by installing a dummy extra shroud at the side of the real ones.
I tie a simple, overhand knot around this to retain the end of the ratline.
I then have both hands free to tie, tension and control the first clove hitch. The later ones are no problem.
The dummy shroud is available for all the ratlines. It is the one to the left of the shrouds in the following photo.Dummy shroud.jpg

Attachments

• Dummy shroud.jpg
    Dummy shroud.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 11
It's a way of set you're mind.
I go for perfect ratlines, I want them to be perfect, every knot. When I started doing this in that way. It will set my mind and make it more pleasant / interesting. (which it certainly is not :) ).
But it helps a little bit. It works for me.

Hi Short John Bronze!

The shrouds must be under tension without bending the mast. The ropes of the ratlines are usually chosen too thick. If the knots are not tightened enough and the ropes are too thick, they will spread the shrouds apart.

P4060743.JPG
The back of the ropes must be pushed tightly together. So the ladders go away nicely to the left and right.

SANY0186.JPG
Try with thinner ratlines, tighten the knots a little tighter and more horizontally. You can push them up and down on the model with tweezers and loosen them again at any time if the tension is wrong.

Good success
Thomas

Back