Rattlesnake by MS

That fits. To have pin racks abeam each mast. I'm going with that. Thanks for doing this research for those in the Rattlesnake club!
Just wish I had done this much before I started, but back then I could only sit at the work table for about 15 min.
From what i can tell it looks like at the fore, main, mizzen the pin racks are 6 hole

Last edited:
Not the best pics but this what I have. You can see the false deck in the one pic and the mast temporarily mounted in the other pic. Notice where the rafter beams are and how they are roughly even as the most aft edge of the rail. Clearly the mast would be aft of the forecastle deck if the deck goes straight across.

1) I could extend the rail back
2) I could extend the deck back a bit as I did with the quarterdeck
3) I could curve the forecastle deck to accommodate the mast, that's the second pic.

I'm leaning on option #2. As soon as I return to that residence I'll cut out a new false deck to see if that's a viable idea.

ljgkhj.jpgthumbnail (25).jpg

Could you slice your carving off and relocate them to the correct place and have the deck go streight across? It looks good that way but then you going to need to cut down the forecastle hand/pin rails and then curve the pin rail going across the rear of the forecastle . Now an inaccurate but kinda cool looking would be where your deck ends now step inboard about a scale 3' then turn aft 90 to where the deck should be and straight across you would be making ladder wells on each side (will draw it up if you want). I have been pondering how whe hell is the crew going to get to the forecastle without a ladder thats where the temp gangways wentrat1.jpg

Last edited:
Could you slice your carving off and relocate them to the correct place and have the deck go streight across? It looks good that way but then you going to need to cut down the forecastle hand/pin rails and then curve the pin rail going across the rear of the forecastle . Now an inaccurate but kinda cool looking would be where your deck ends now step inboard about a scale 3' then turn aft 90 to where the deck should be and straight across you would be making ladder wells on each side (will draw it up if you want). I have been pondering how whe hell is the crew going to get to the forecastle without a ladder thats where the temp gangways wentView attachment 134046

Oh I could absolutely do that. The false deck has not been glued yet. In fact I obtained a thinner sheet of basswood that I intended to use so I'm basically starting new anyway. I'll post what I come up with.

Here is my fore castle, but the one think bugging me is how in the hell did they get up there with no ladders not even on the plans. the only way that I gave seen was with the portable gangways
View attachment 134189View attachment 134190

That looks awesome! I still have not seen an example of Rattlesnake where the portable gangways were installed. In all these instances there was a ladder on each side to get onto the forecastle.

The top being the kit supplied launch and the bottom being the Russian mini kit?

I was thinking that the kit supplied launch was way to large for the ship. There's barely any room between the forecastle deck and quarterdeck once the launch is mounted. I'm pretty happy with the size.

The other option would be to mount both, one on top of the other like most ships had. What do you think?

did the math and actually the kit boat is a little small when you convert it to scale 26' = 4.7690
would you see one stacked on to the other with a crew of 85, its a good idea so nothing goes to the ship breakers

That looks awesome! I still have not seen an example of Rattlesnake where the portable gangways were installed. In all these instances there was a ladder on each side to get onto the forecastle.
I have seen maybe 2 with them but everything I have read they were not carried due to the time it would take to stow them for an engagement, you know if you were not worried about period and leaned towardes british you could mount some swivel guns

I have seen maybe 2 with them but everything I have read they were not carried due to the time it would take to stow them for an engagement, you know if you were not worried about period and leaned towardes british you could mount some swivel guns

I've been thinking of just that. I think I'll pass though.

Back