• "Annual SOS Donation Drive Underway"
    Please consider making a Donation to SOS to support our growth and developement.
    https://www.paypal.me/DonateSOS
    Please check and read your email subject [Donations] from sosforums@shipsofscale.com for more details.

RATTLESNAKE US PRIVATEER 1:64 JosephH

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

My Model Shipways Rattlesnake POB came in today yay, I need to straighten some stuff up and get ready to build. it is POB but I am thinking while building it I might cad it up for a POF and at lot larger than the 1:64 probably something big enough I can sail it. this way as I am building and making any changes to make it more accurate it will make drawing easier. I am working on a huge long term project the Le Fleuron in cad in the cad projects folder, however I always like to be drawing on 2 things so I don't just fly through one and have tons screw-ups or like right now with the crappy stations there frustrated trying to create something that fits.

I will start by checking out the box contents and probably doing the pre stuff like glueing the two hull pieces together. after I get my tavle cleaned off I will lay everything out to check it and take some pictures.

I am trying to figure out what the actual length between perps is for this ship though as I dont trust kit companies numbers. Also doing searches there are 2 totally6 different times for this ship. 1 if you look up rattlesnake on wikipedia another for comorant like 50 ish years apart

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Staff member
Sponsor

I am trying to figure out what the actual length between perps is for this ship though as I dont trust kit companies number

89 feet 3 inches between perpendiculars 22 feet molded beam 8 feet 10 1/2 inches depth in hold 198 70/94 tons burthen.
keel was straight with some drag , rake to the sternpost, stern had rounded tuck with upper and lower transoms. at the bow the entrance was convex mid section has straight rising floors with a high and rounded bilge. at the molded waterline 87 feet 7 1/2 inches. molded beam at waterline 8 feet 1 1/2 inches

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

JosephH, I want to follow your building log with great interest, what does the galeon figure and other embellishments look like ?. Thanks.

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

I haven't opened them yet Let me open that package and give it a look and take some pictures. I been doing some semi professional photography while off from the hobby so I have a really nice camera so some really good pics. I have a macro adapter I will throw on and see if I can get some good closeups.

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

the metalwork looks great its pretty nicely detailed and cleaned really well. the notches for the frames are way too small and a couple of them are splitting when trying to sand so gluing them together and need a thinner stick. I was using the sanding sticks I got from hobby shop which when they stop sanding the notch is perfect.

took pictures will upload them from camer later after I take a few more as its a pain pulling the card then converting from raw camera format to image file. remembering this is a professional Nikon DSLR setup so its not just a snap and post thing and I dont want to convert it to jpg format cause then I dont have as much control over editing taking the lighting etc and adjusting. will also need to get a black posterboard or something for pics so dont get so much blowout from the white board

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

Thanks JosephH, reason for asking, I have purchased drawings by Rattlesnake / Harld Hahn, I am interested in summarizing the look.

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

there ya go.

On a side note for those also following my Le Fleuron cad stuff I will be changing it over to a french 74 gun as after talking back and forth with Gerald theres a lot of little things going to make it really difficult for me and suggested I do the 74 instead.

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

its a macro extension not a full macro lens but then just abt any lens is a macro these days. this is a shot with the extension, I just didnt worry abt these pics as I will later on I just snapped a few in a hurry
DSC_0004.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0021.jpg

Norway

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

JosephH, thanks for nice pictures, I still wonder what the galleon figure looks like, my drawings are not very clear,
Janos has made some very nice carvings for Rattlesnake, I will sometime in the future try to make carvings myself,
then I must practice very much.
Time will tell.

Jim, I'll start my log in no time.
Nice that you also speak Norwegian, or.
Greeting-

JosephH

Blandford
Blandford Group Build

I am not sure what you mean by galleon figure? you meaning the little person they include?