RATTLESNAKE US PRIVATEER 1:64 JosephH

My Model Shipways Rattlesnake POB came in today yay, I need to straighten some stuff up and get ready to build. it is POB but I am thinking while building it I might cad it up for a POF and at lot larger than the 1:64 probably something big enough I can sail it. this way as I am building and making any changes to make it more accurate it will make drawing easier. I am working on a huge long term project the Le Fleuron in cad in the cad projects folder, however I always like to be drawing on 2 things so I don't just fly through one and have tons screw-ups or like right now with the crappy stations there frustrated trying to create something that fits.

I will start by checking out the box contents and probably doing the pre stuff like glueing the two hull pieces together. after I get my tavle cleaned off I will lay everything out to check it and take some pictures.

I am trying to figure out what the actual length between perps is for this ship though as I dont trust kit companies numbers. Also doing searches there are 2 totally6 different times for this ship. 1 if you look up rattlesnake on wikipedia another for comorant like 50 ish years apart

I am trying to figure out what the actual length between perps is for this ship though as I dont trust kit companies number

89 feet 3 inches between perpendiculars 22 feet molded beam 8 feet 10 1/2 inches depth in hold 198 70/94 tons burthen.
keel was straight with some drag , rake to the sternpost, stern had rounded tuck with upper and lower transoms. at the bow the entrance was convex mid section has straight rising floors with a high and rounded bilge. at the molded waterline 87 feet 7 1/2 inches. molded beam at waterline 8 feet 1 1/2 inches

JosephH, I want to follow your building log with great interest, what does the galeon figure and other embellishments look like ?. Thanks.

I haven't opened them yet Let me open that package and give it a look and take some pictures. I been doing some semi professional photography while off from the hobby so I have a really nice camera so some really good pics. I have a macro adapter I will throw on and see if I can get some good closeups.

the metalwork looks great its pretty nicely detailed and cleaned really well. the notches for the frames are way too small and a couple of them are splitting when trying to sand so gluing them together and need a thinner stick. I was using the sanding sticks I got from hobby shop which when they stop sanding the notch is perfect.

took pictures will upload them from camer later after I take a few more as its a pain pulling the card then converting from raw camera format to image file. remembering this is a professional Nikon DSLR setup so its not just a snap and post thing and I dont want to convert it to jpg format cause then I dont have as much control over editing taking the lighting etc and adjusting. will also need to get a black posterboard or something for pics so dont get so much blowout from the white board

Thanks JosephH, reason for asking, I have purchased drawings by Rattlesnake / Harld Hahn, I am interested in summarizing the look.

there ya go.

On a side note for those also following my Le Fleuron cad stuff I will be changing it over to a french 74 gun as after talking back and forth with Gerald theres a lot of little things going to make it really difficult for me and suggested I do the 74 instead.

JosephH, thanks for nice pictures, I still wonder what the galleon figure looks like, my drawings are not very clear,
Janos has made some very nice carvings for Rattlesnake, I will sometime in the future try to make carvings myself,
then I must practice very much.
Time will tell.

Jim, I'll start my log in no time.
Nice that you also speak Norwegian, or.
Greeting-

Back