Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

Very interesting work - but with the movement of the timber heads, the door-openings are not fitting any more - will you move them also?

Very interesting work - but with the movement of the timber heads, the door-openings are not fitting any more - will you move them also?

G'day Uwe, no they will be staying where they are, apparently the top timber heads must have been timbers that were added to the top of the lower framing, ( or built in with a different spacing ) to the timbers that held the gun ports and the doors otherwise they would have gone down through the ports and the doors,

310.jpg
starting to make the round houses for the beak head bulk head, this is a piece of Huon Pine, beautiful
wood to work, I marked the centre for the revolving steady to sit in,

311.jpg
i also cut the corners off so there would be less wood to remove, you can see the diameter scribed on the end,

312.jpg
The wood chucked and ready for turning, its a Sherline Lathe but I run it off a larger motor with a variable speed
control which you can see in the background,

313.jpg
Turning down to size,

314.jpg
I turned two pieces so as to have a spare one just in case,

315.jpg
The two cut off,

316.jpg
Just showing where they will sit, they have to be cut in half and bases made etc, I'm waiting for a set of Artensania
Latina scrapers to arrive to make the mouldings for the trims,

G'day Uwe, I managed to download and crop a couple of pics that confirm what I was saying about the top timber heads, see pics below,

large (2).jpg
This first one shows the timber heads above the gun port and you can see that if the third one in was brought down
it would go straight through the gun port,

larges.jpg
and this angle shot shows the same with the doors,

best regards John.

You are right - it is more railing posts which do not have to follow the doors etc. , so they can be installed independent - many thanks for the details!

319.jpg
Time to mark and cut the round houses, shows it marked through the middle,

317.jpg
this is the handy little tool I used,

318.jpg
you just position the dowell snugly down into the V shape of the square and draw your line, if you want to find
the center just turn the dowell round and mark another line and you have the center,

320.jpg
this just shows how the square holds the dowell,

321.jpg
the round houses after they have been cut in half, they will not be glued for awhile yet,

322.jpg
another view,

323.jpg
and a full length view,

Last edited:
324.jpg
now its time to add the capping plank around the front of the prow, I just used the pattern that I had used for the
planks,

326.jpg
after marking and cutting, I did it this way so there would be no strain on it, as no way clamps could
hold it in place while it dried,

327.jpg
checking for fit before cutting the strips off,

328.jpg
the strips cut off and just sitting in position, they will be sanded and painted before gluing in place,

329.jpg
But before I could add these strips I needed tocut and sand for the bowsprit, I marked on the planks and then
rolled some sandpaper up into a tight roll and sanded and test fit the bow sprit,

330.jpg
and just kept doing this until the bow sprit fit,

331.jpg
Bow sprit in place,

332.jpg
next up was masking the Knights heads for painting, I also painted along the top of the wood strips, just going
over and down the back of them slightly to make sure of a nice black line around the plank edges,

333.jpg
After the masking tape has been removed and the strips added, sanded and painted,

334.jpg
view looking down,

335.jpg
and a couple with the bow sprit in place, but not yet glued,

336.jpg

Back