Re decks, I think they could be a lot better, it was not through the want of trying .
The kit set Tanganyika strips for the decks was in one word "rubbish", not only was the sizes all over the place, it is also brittle.
If I had to do it again I think I would use boxwood or pear.
I bought replacement tanganyika strips for the job. I have the same thing, width is very variable, up to a 1mm variation (0.5mm under or over) which really surprised me considering it came from a specialist ship building site and is the product of a well known company. At 0.5mm thickness I'm finding it is brittle also. I think I will try to build a block of cut planks and sand the edges. It also seems to want to curl when glued. Have to be honest the 0.5mm laser cut walnut in the ZHL kit is much better! But too dark and a little wide for what I wanted.
To me your work looks excellent. It is always the same with us modelers, we never see in own work what others can. We only see we could do better. It will always lead us to another build though. ;-) The images are very helpful, as I can see how you approached doing it. I would be more than happy if I could get my deck planking even close to your overall result.
I also found the Tanganyika curled up just like you.
I don't know what you paid for your strips but I said I got 100 x 5mm (or was it 4mm not sure with out looking for it) and 100 x 3mm from a shop in Australia.
I think it cost about $259nz, so it is not cheap.
Have you tried bleaching Walnut, I did this with my Royal William build (not finished yet).