Revenge 1577

It is interesting as to how diff kit manufactures devise different ways of handling such things as breaking (cutting) off tabs and things like that. Nice Ladder. I find those difficult to make as well.

Donnie

Hi Donnie

Yes it is very strange cutting the tops off, I have more to cut off when I have fitted another deck.

I have seen it before on on two other kits.

Denis.

Your satin finish is a little darker (of which I really like). I am using Minwax Satin Clear Polyurethane. I might have to put another coat. When it dries, I can't tell much difference. I like the darker tone.

Donnie

Hi Donnie

I use Resene Poly Satin it takes about 72 hours for the shine to go off, what I do is after sanding down I put one or two coats of sanding sealer on.
Sand down and apply no less then 3 coats of satin varnish (sanding each coat).

I have never used Minwax

Hi

I have put the decks on but only dry fitted + the masts to line the decks up.

:text-thankyouyellow: for all of your comments.

Denis.REVENGE PARTS 28_0037.jpgREVENGE PARTS 28_0039.jpgREVENGE PARTS 28_0040.jpgREVENGE PARTS 28_0044.jpg

Denis

I have been watching your build and I am impressed.

The Tanganyika caught my eye. Mine is a browner colour for the deck. You made a very good point on the widths and condition of the timber.

You also mention sanding sealer. What is that

Cheers
Geoff :D

Hi Geoff

Re sanding sealer.
You don't have to put it on, but the benefits are, it closes the pores of the wood, stops the grain of the wood from raising, fast drying.

I use a solvent based one, you can coat the wood up and with in 30 min's you can sand it down to a nice smooth finish, you can then apply a coat of varnish on top after that.

You can thin down varnish that will do the same thing but it takes 12 hours to dry.

Denis.

Hi Brian

Thank you mate for them words.

I think I am coming to the end of my photos.

Denis.

Hi

I said I flit about a bit, I decided to do the stern windows.
Inside I blackened them and the outside painted them white.
When they dried I put some liquid glass on the back.
Windows are only dry fitted.

The instructions say to stain the bulkheads but I did not like this idea.
So I planked them with Tanganyika.REVENGE PARTS 30_0043.jpg

Hi my friend

After I took the photo I had to do more filling.

When I started the second planking I made a bit of a mess with them.

On my SOS build I used contact glue but on this build I used CA, I just could not get the hang of it.

Denis.

I've been experimenting with Titebond and ironing on second planking. It works surprisingly well using a small aircraft covering iron. Still not sure when it come to it for real, might use contact adhesive or the iron method.

eric61 said:
Hi Denis, use a PVA type glue, it allows you to move the strips around to better placement, you can then use masking tape to hold them in place.
Eric
Hi Eric
Thank you for the tip, I have ordered some clamps and should arrive in about a weeks time.
Thank you for dropping in on this log.

Denis.

GemmaJF said:
I've been experimenting with Titebond and ironing on second planking. It works surprisingly well using a small aircraft covering iron. Still not sure when it come to it for real, might use contact adhesive or the iron method.

Hi GemmaJF
I have used Titebond on the first planking on all of the builds.
On my SoS build and RW for gluing the second planking I used contact adhesive and it worked very well.
On the Revenge I started to use CA glue and I cannot get it right.
It looks like this build will have a painted hull.

Denis.

Hi Denis, on the hull of the Endeavour I used CA glue on about 98% of the hull, when it came to the second planking, I tried CA glue on them but found that the glue soaked through the strips making the strips even darker, tried all sorts of glues but ended up using PVA. This picture will give you an idea of what CA does to the strips. Look at this link http://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=718&start=70 ,5 photos down, the dark strip about one third up from the keel was glued down with CA glue, hope this helps you decide which glue to use.

Regards
Eric

eric61 said:
Hi Denis, on the hull of the Endeavour I used CA glue on about 98% of the hull, when it came to the second planking, I tried CA glue on them but found that the glue soaked through the strips making the strips even darker, tried all sorts of glues but ended up using PVA. This picture will give you an idea of what CA does to the strips. Look at this link http://www.shipsofscale.com/sosforums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=718&start=70 ,5 photos down, the dark strip about one third up from the keel was glued down with CA glue, hope this helps you decide which glue to use.

Regards
Eric

Hi Eric,I used CA only on my Santa Maria and on my AVS planking, how did the Ca soaked through the plank? I have never experienced that.

Back