Rigging the deadeyes at the shrouds

Hello Jim,

Many thanks for your response. So, for the sake of authentication, the ropes at the deadeyes should be stained to reflect their tarring. I will leave these ropes either a natural colour or stain them light brown.

On another subject, I have just completed the euphroes for the crows feet.
Would the rope tying these euphroes to the bowsprit have a block at its end or does the rope come straight off the euphroes down to the bowsprit?
Maybe the euphroes are considered to be the block itself and therefore not requiring an additional block. Che sa?

Trevor.

View attachment 274275
some caprains/bos'ns liked a block some did not. The block would be for tightening the crow's foot if and when it became necessary. what do the plans show? If you put the block in, it adds little more interest to the model.

Hallo Trevor,
as I know the seamen had to tension the shroud one time or other - therefore in my oipinion they were not tarred
Only one additional comment:
The lower deadeyes shown in the photo are wrongly installed - one hole should be at the bottom, so a standing triangle - mirrored to the upper deadeye
View attachment 274518 View attachment 274519
these lines were never white or black. These lines had to remain flexible because they were in a constant state of being tightened and /or loosened depending upon wind conditions. They were conditioned with Stockholm tar as needed for protection them from the salt water. The best tar was a light tan.The lowest grade of tar was dark brown. What grade tar does the captain of your ship use? that will determine the color of these lines.

Hello Trevor.
The Euphroes were long wooden rods or flat blocks which had drilled holes instead of sheaves. They served as guide blocks for the crow's feet. In16/17th century it ends with a rope loop. Later, 18th century the loop was reinforced with a round thimble. The blocks were attached to the loop.

View attachment 274320
View attachment 274321
Jim,
The rigging instructions in my kit are not very helpful, and this being my first attempt at rigging a sailing ship, I have hit the wall.
How would the crows feet have been attatched to the euphroe?
Am I assuming correctly that one starts at the outer hole in the trestle tree and go down into the euphore and then back uo to the trestle tree again to the next hole etc. using a continous rope until all holes in the trestle tree and in the euphroe are threaded?

As ever, I appreciate any help you or the other members can provide.
Trevor.

Jim,
The rigging instructions in my kit are not very helpful, and this being my first attempt at rigging a sailing ship, I have hit the wall.
How would the crows feet have been attatched to the euphroe?
Am I assuming correctly that one starts at the outer hole in the trestle tree and go down into the euphore and then back uo to the trestle tree again to the next hole etc. using a continous rope until all holes in the trestle tree and in the euphroe are threaded?
Hello Trevor,

Crowsfeet were used to prevent the topsails blowing underneath the tops, they were fitted between the fore-edge of the tops and stay, These consisted of a number of ropes which were laced from holes in the edge of top and the euphroe. The euphroe was fixed to the stay with a simple tackle. Crowsfeet were always carried on the main and fore tops, and frequently also on the mizen top. Towards the end of the 18th century the crowsfeet disappeared

Here are some handy diagrams that should give you a bit more explanations of how the crowsfeet were laced.

1639321278548.png 1639321352773.png

1639323712047.png

Hallo Trevor,
as I know the seamen had to tension the shroud one time or other - therefore in my oipinion they were not tarred
Only one additional comment:
The lower deadeyes shown in the photo are wrongly installed - one hole should be at the bottom, so a standing triangle - mirrored to the upper deadeye
View attachment 274518 View attachment 274519
Regarding rigging the deadeyes, the drawing above shows the first thread going through the right hand hole, if this picture is the outboard port view that would mean the first thread is towards the stern, now if the drawing was the outboard starboard view it would mean the first thread would be towards the bow, I have never seen anywhere to explain if the first thread is toward the bow or stern, I have seen both left and right hand holes as examples of the first thread, is anyone able to advise what might be correct.

Regarding rigging the deadeyes, the drawing above shows the first thread going through the right hand hole, if this picture is the outboard port view that would mean the first thread is towards the stern, now if the drawing was the outboard starboard view it would mean the first thread would be towards the bow, I have never seen anywhere to explain if the first thread is toward the bow or stern, I have seen both left and right hand holes as examples of the first thread, is anyone able to advise what might be correct.
here is some help to better understand the run of the lanyard

1639360562577.png

To me it is not clear if the above images are viewed from port or starboard, or doesn't it matter as they are done the same way.
Richie, the second image on the left outlined how shrouds are laid: 1. Laid right (Starboard side). 2. Laid left (portside)

Richie, the second image on the left outlined how shrouds are laid: 1. Laid right (Starboard side). 2. Laid left (portside)
Thank you Jimsky, sorry for high jacking this post but being deadeye related I am hoping it's ok.
My question was really about the lanyards, previous images in this post showed two ways to do thread the deadeye, one starts on the left hole and one on the right, my question is which side should these deadeyes be on the ship or doesn't it matter, is it important to start on the left or right hole.

Deadeye.jpgDeadeye.PNG

I think I read somewhere (sorry no reference) that the stopper knot was in the inboard side toward the stern of the ship. I think that this matches what is shown in Jimsky's post. Just about every example that you see is of a starboard deadeye/lanyard set. What I get from the post is that the knot should be on the side of the deadeye that is most in alignment with the shroud going up away from the deadeye (after the cross of the shroud at the top of the deadeye).

Here's a pager from Lennarth Petersson's Rigging Period Ship Models.

Lanyards&Deadeye Rigging.JPG

Note the enlarged part shows a rig from the port side and the full set of shrouds is seen from the starboard side of the ship.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere (sorry no reference) that the stopper knot was in the inboard side toward the stern of the ship. I think that this matches what is shown in Jimsky's post. Just about every example that you see is of a starboard deadeye/lanyard set. What I get from the post is that the knot should be on the side of the deadeye that is most in alignment with the shroud going up away from the deadeye (after the cross of the shroud at the top of the deadeye).

Here's a pager from Lennarth Petersson's Rigging Period Ship Models.

View attachment 275348

Note the enlarged part shows a rig from the port side and the full set of shrouds is seen from the starboard side of the ship.
Hmm, the left image shows deadeys with an arrow pointing towards the stern(I think the word is blurred), now if you are on the ship looking at the port deadeye how can the stern be to your right, same outside the ship looking at port deadeye the stern must also be to your right, sorry I am not the sharpest tool in the boatshed am I missing something here.

Buongiorno, posto alcune pagine in merito a questo argomento, Buona giornata

Hello, post a few pages on this topic, Have a nice day

Attachments

• MANOVRE RACCOLTE.pdf
    22.9 MB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, the left image shows deadeys with an arrow pointing towards the stern(I think the word is blurred), now if you are on the ship looking at the port deadeye how can the stern be to your right, same outside the ship looking at port deadeye the stern must also be to your right, sorry I am not the sharpest tool in the boatshed am I missing something here.
The arrow is pointing toward "STEM". In this case I think that is equivalent to the bow.

Buongiorno, posto alcune pagine in merito a questo argomento, Buona giornata

Hello, post a few pages on this topic, Have a nice day
Thank you Frank48, I can't read the text but there are a lot of fantastic detailed drawings.

The arrow is pointing toward "STEM". In this case I think that is equivalent to the bow.
Thank you Jeff T that would make more sense, I think I will post the summary in a new thread as I didn't mean to take over this one and see if this is the general consensus to rig dead eyes.

Thank you Jimsky, sorry for high jacking this post but being deadeye related I am hoping it's ok.
My question was really about the lanyards, previous images in this post showed two ways to do thread the deadeye, one starts on the left hole and one on the right, my question is which side should these deadeyes be on the ship or doesn't it matter, is it important to start on the left or right hole.
It is the left hole you will start with...

1639422153113.png 1639422224333.png

Back