Rigging the deadeyes at the shrouds

As I serve rope on my machine, every so often, I'll use a needle with just a spot of CA to weld the rope to the shrouds. Keeps it from getting too loose....
Hi Phil, I do that at the beginning and at the end of the serving. I wonder if coating the entire finished product with a mixture of water and wood glue would also help.

@LuigiSoft Trevor, Most, if not all of those images come from the book by Darcy Bever- The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor

It is an inexpensive but really valuable book.

1641745984305.png

@LuigiSoft Trevor, Most, if not all of those images come from the book by Darcy Bever- The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor

It is an inexpensive but really valuable book.

View attachment 281629

Thanks Jim. Please excuse me using Italian and not writing in English in this case. I am tying to brush on my rusty Italian. I promise to provide a translation in future posts.

E strano. Le parole che ti ho scritto vegono cambiato automaticamente dal SOS. Ad esempio, io scritto "provengono" nel mio precedente messaggio e SOS ha scritto "ottonere" nel tu risposto! Come vedo tu I miei messaggi?
molto bene, riesco a leggere

I leave in Italy, close to Rome (Santa Marinella) for 5 months. So my Italian doesn't go beyond Prego, Buojorno, Tuto, Ogi\Domani, and of cause Chao and Graci :D

Thanks Jim. Please excuse me using Italian and not writing in English in this case. I am tying to brush on my rusty Italian. I promise to provide a translation in future posts.

I leave in Italy, close to Rome (Santa Marinella) for about less than 5 months. So my Italian doesn't go beyond Prego, Buojorno, Tuto, Ogi\Domani, and of cause Chao and Graci :D
I was lucky to have lived and worked in Italy at the beginning of the 80s, near Milan, for a number of years. A great country and friendly people.

I leave in Italy, close to Rome (Santa Marinella) for 5 months. So my Italian doesn't go beyond Prego, Buojorno, Tuto, Ogi\Domani, and of cause Chao and Graci :D
Jim, are you still in Italy? I'm asking as I see the American flag next to your avitar. When I am in Sweden, my flag next to my avitar automatcally changes to the Swedish flag.

Jim, are you still in Italy? I'm asking as I see the American flag next to your avitar. When I am in Sweden, my flag next to my avitar automatcally changes to the Swedish flag.
For about 32 years my home in New York (cannot ask for a better place to leave), :) but I miss Santa Marinella...

I have a question relating to the rigging of the deadeyes at the shrouds of the lower and upper masts:
The colour of the standing rigging is usually black, while the running rigging is usually a light colour. I consider the rigging at the shrouds to be standing rigging. I stand corrected, if this is not the case. Should the rope at the shrouds, therefore, be black and not tan?
As always, I appreciate any pointers from the conoscenti.
Many thanks.
Trevor.

View attachment 274178
I was under the impression that standing rigging is black because the ropes are 'structural' and are tarred. The lanyards for the deadeyes are meant to be adjusted and so are natural rope and not tarred. I may be wrong

Back