Ro-marin Happy Hunter Tug-1/50-Multifunction RC

Thankyou Donnie and thanks everyone for the likes.
Brian,yes I too am looking forward to the paint process.These models, unlike wooden ones have no real inherent beauty due to the materials until the paint is applied and it really can make or break the model.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Just found your new project Nigel. Wonderfull work, it must be fun putting multi coloured rigging inside your model instead of rigging the outside. :cool:

Would be great to finally see a video with all the gadgets at work.

Thanks Brian we have just entered a new 1 month lockdown but would not be surprised if this is extended.

Thanks Maarten,yes completely different change of tack but there is a tiny bit of external rigging:D

Work continues and the checklist is getting smaller before final fill and paint on the hull deck assembly.I have added larger Hawse ports than on the plan to reflect that of the prototype.The Anchor winch is complete as are the details of the forecastle.The kit included moulded rubber to match the number on the front of the bow that is present on the original.I have framed this in plastic to provide a neater finish.

The superstructure carcass was made a while ago but not shown until now.This has been required to ensure it sits as it is supposed to do.I can work on this when the hull is finished as a separate model as I know the two mate together.I have allowed a .5mm gap between the superstructure and foredeck to allow for paint on both faces.Had this been too snug, removal would be problematic to access the internals.

Kind Regards

Nigel

9CC8215E-3956-4C40-AADD-628343338A5B.jpeg3CABF913-224C-458E-9811-767B105E6C44.jpeg04ED7D3D-0741-4549-B11D-19D07DF40A65.jpeg6E706A8D-6550-4BDA-87E4-21DC70D8334F.jpeg

Hi Simon and good luck.

I bought this kit from Model Shop Leeds also a few years back.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Serious question: what is the highest grade quality model with fittings etc? My wife just gave me the free and clear to purchase any model I want. Of course my heart went directly to Satio Sampson II. Since then folks have talked about cauldercraft resolve, dean’s marine Trein Maersk, happy Hunter, Mantua Anteo, Billings Fairmount Alping and a few others. All advise and suggestions wanted.
Note: if I went with Satio I would use electric and not steam - don’t like steam power plants.

They all have pros and cons.Billings used to have amazing fittings but these have been simplified for cost,Caldercraft can suffer from poorly executed castings.The Panart Anteo does have good quality fittings and Deans is pretty good in all respects. Model Slipway good plus also check out Linkspan if you fancy building a ferry.

What do I think is the ultimate RC kit currently available? Bauer Modelle Edda Flora.You will have to google it as I still haven't mastered Copy/paste on a Mac.

Woven glass hull/deck.Custom brushless Voith Schneider drives, working deck crane, extensive photo etch,3D printed parts.Downside,budget on around £2500 upwards by the time you buy all the packages and radio gear capable of controlling everything.

Kind Regards

Nigel

They all have pros and cons.Billings used to have amazing fittings but these have been simplified for cost,Caldercraft can suffer from poorly executed castings.The Panart Anteo does have good quality fittings and Deans is pretty good in all respects. Model Slipway good plus also check out Linkspan if you fancy building a ferry.

What do I think is the ultimate RC kit currently available? Bauer Modelle Edda Flora.You will have to google it as I still haven't mastered Copy/paste on a Mac.

Woven glass hull/deck.Custom brushless Voith Schneider drives, working deck crane, extensive photo etch,3D printed parts.Downside,budget on around £2500 upwards by the time you buy all the packages and radio gear capable of controlling everything.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
This is not really my area, but would it be wrong to include Mountfleet in that list, I had heard they make good kits.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi Nigel,
This is not really my area, but would it be wrong to include Mountfleet in that list, I had heard they make good kits.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Stephen

No,my bad for missing them off, yes they do and I spent a great amount of time talking to the new owner at a show pre covid so can't believe I forgot them.Also they are just based down the road from meRedface

Thanks Stephen for keeping me on the straight and narrow;)

Stephen

No,my bad for missing them off, yes they do and I spent a great amount of time talking to the new owner at a show pre covid so can't believe I forgot them.Also they are just based down the road from meRedface

Thanks Stephen for keeping me on the straight and narrow;)
No problem Nigel,
Of coarse it all depends on what sort of boat 1966oldz wants to build.

By the way when do you intend getting back to building the Happy Hunter?

Cheers,
Stephen.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Link spam has stopped making Frrries for now. Which was a shame because I finally got to a position to purchase. The Edda Floria does not have all parts in stock - bit is beautiful.

I am deciding on maybe Saito Chiba Star. What are your thoughts you seems to be very knowledgeable.

I have no experience of Saito kits and only thought they made Steam Plants.It looks a nice product and is an attractive vessel but can't add anymore than that

A long overdue update.To say that to get everything to a standard in primer I was happy with was a huge task would be an understatement.After much rubbing down, filling,priming,painting,rubbing down again I am now getting somewhere.

The decks, bulwarks etc are now all in the final light grey.There is some detail painting in black to be done with the hairy stick later.Next step is probably two days worth of masking so the outer hull can be painted in white primer then the yellow followed by the red oxide antifouling.On a plus I have ordered two 60mm handed brass Kort props to replace the plastic kit offerings.These are four bladed as the prototype, opposed to 3 blade supplied.

All paint is Mr Color.Aerosol primer and the outer hull will be done with rattle cans.The deck was painted with my Iwata Eclipse Airbrush due to all the nooks and crannies.

Kind Regards

Nigel

IMG_0382.jpgIMG_0383.jpgIMG_0384.jpg

Thanks Stephen.I had the hull/deck ready for final paint a while ago but I postponed due to cold/damp conditions given that I have to spray this in the garage as it is not a job for the kitchen tableROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks Stephen.I had the hull/deck ready for final paint a while ago but I postponed due to cold/damp conditions given that I have to spray this in the garage as it is not a job for the kitchen tableROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,
Yes defiantly not a kitchen table job, especially if you value your life.
Looks like a nice prime coat, all those corners are a pain.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Thanks Stephen,the grey is the finished colour as per instructions and original livery.It is actually a topcoat,Mr Colour 338 light grey covered with their GX flat clear with UV filter.
Currently masking all the freeing ports to paint the outside :rolleyes: monotony at it's bestROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back