Russia KV-1 (1942) Heavy Cast Turret Tank (1:35) - Trumpeter

I am sure you are all well aware of the glues available on the market today for plastic models. In my experience, the best is Tamiyas' super-thin (don't have a picture) but it is a square bottle and green cup. It works just great: it is thin like water juts tight together parts an introduce the glue with a built-in applicator.
I use a few years back... perhaps there may be a better one today!!!??
Tamiya super thin is pretty much all I use with plastic models, except when applying PE. For PE I use CA.

Very nice...I had a few plastic ships under my belt. I like this hobby, but the 1/350 scale is too small for my eyes. But with ample aftermarket and photoetch parts -plastic kits makes a nice hobby (considered fewer tools you may need). Will watch, if you don't mind. :)
I do plastic too JIm and for the same reasons. Easier on the eyes and you don't have to make so many parts by hand as in wood kits. I like wood the best but until I can get my eyes fixed the plastic is much less frustration. This tank should b fun to watch. You can motorize these things now too.Tally Hooo Zoltan.

Taking a peek again. I did not realize so many parts to this tank. I would love to try one, but I would be at a loss as to what colors to paint. I know that all Military equipment is going to be a base color. No contrast.

Looking back at page one of this build it says"die cast parts." When I think of die cast I think metal as in all the parts are metal. However all these parts appear to be plastic so what's the story here? Metal or plastic parts? Also I must say that all the parts look extremely well done. The detail is beutiful and I'm sure the model will be too. Nice work.

Looking back at page one of this build it says"die cast parts." When I think of die cast I think metal as in all the parts are metal. However all these parts appear to be plastic so what's the story here? Metal or plastic parts? Also I must say that all the parts look extremely well done. The detail is beutiful and I'm sure the model will be too. Nice work.
It's styrene. I've built this kit and I'm in the process of painting and weathering it. It was a nice build.

Taking a peek again. I did not realize so many parts to this tank. I would love to try one, but I would be at a loss as to what colors to paint. I know that all Military equipment is going to be a base color. No contrast..
I used Vallejo Russian Green as my base coats and several other lighter greens as highlights

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Zoltan ,
Are you going for the metal tracks for this build or sticking to what came with the kit? The reason is if you use metal tracks it looks the part and adds abit of weight to the kit ( mind you might have to reinforce where this is going to be displayed) I built a Warrior APC for a friend with interior detail and metal tracks just like the one he drove in the First Gulf War.

Hi Zoltan ,
Are you going for the metal tracks for this build or sticking to what came with the kit? The reason is if you use metal tracks it looks the part and adds abit of weight to the kit ( mind you might have to reinforce where this is going to be displayed) I built a Warrior APC for a friend with interior detail and metal tracks just like the one he drove in the First Gulf War.
Hi,at this point I do not know ,plastic tanks not my main hobby ,I started it last when I was waiting for som wood supply for my Ontario built ,so I never gave a serious though how I will finish the tank.

Hi Zoltan,

Just worked my way through your log. Looks like a great project. Much more complicated than my build.

0E540C9C-DE54-4043-8A26-A342293E1CC0.jpeg

The photo was setup several years ago as part of a Halloween party scavenger hunt for the young ones. They had to come up with a name for the scene.

Hi Zoltan,
Nice build, there is more to building one of these than first meets the eye take your time and enjoy. I built a Tiger 1 that was a gift, same manufacture as yours from memory and I was staggered at how many parts there were.
Cheers,
Stephen.

Back