San felipe 1690 zhl kit 1:50

Looking Good Pat. How you like that Band file? I have been thinking about getting one, read someplace its hard to keep belts on them but no mention of what brand it was that had that issue.

Ik really love it. Cant do without it. The band is no problem. Only if you push to hard on te top the band goes of but that is because you have to push the top down to get New belt on it. If you calibrate the belt right its a super tool.

The wood for planking the decks is veneer of 0.2 mm thicknes does anyone has anyone experians with this? Thinking to use other planking. Bit thicker.

20181001_195859(0).jpg20181001_195905.jpg

Many kit ships use this veneer for the Deck planking you install it much the same way as the hull planking except you'll want glue on the entire surface that will stick down. they can sometimes curl on the edges if you oversaturate them with glue so you want to coat the whole surface, but do so sparingly. I then lay the planks and after 5 min I roll then down with this tool to insure no curled edges. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072QB4WSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If you go look at my build log for the Santa Maria I demonstrate how I do this, but forgot to show me rolling the planks down flat afterwards I went and got the picture from the post. What I do is squeeze just enough glue up on the tip and I hold pressure there then I drag the strip over the glue once its wet I wipe a finger down the wet glue to remove excess as you get going youll find that you learn to apply just the right amount and no further need to wipe excess off 20180811_133100.jpg20180811_132409.jpg20180811_131507.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm .2mm is VERY thin, but it is just a veneer to finish off the hull once its competed. Occre / AL veneer is very thin also. if you use contact adheasive ( not CA, but the stuff in a tin)should be good. paint on both planks and hull, let dry for 10 min and then planks go on like stickytape( cellotape). Easy as. No glue on hands, no residue or leakeage. Instant bond.

Hmm .2mm is VERY thin, but it is just a veneer to finish off the hull once its competed. Occre / AL veneer is very thin also. if you use contact adheasive ( not CA, but the stuff in a tin)should be good. paint on both planks and hull, let dry for 10 min and then planks go on like stickytape( cellotape). Easy as. No glue on hands, no residue or leakeage. Instant bond.
Contact adhesive is also know as cantact cement in some countries.
This is what I use for all veneer planking.
Happymodeling
Greg

It is really thin. Gonna try a bit on a spare piece of wood. Otherwise i use my own thicker veneer or planks

Hi Pat. The planks on the Soleil are .5mm, they layed down nicely using wood glue like Joe said very sparingly spread on the whole plank. I am going to try the contact adhesive on the upper decks. You can't go wrong trying it out on scrap.Thumbsup

Hi Patrick,

I have the same thin veneer as second planking on my Royal Caroline hull. This I glued with CA glue as the thin planks had to be shaped along the hull. For the deck it is just in straight lines so you can use any of the mentioned glue types or UHU hart.

Little update. Couldn't Do much because of pain in my whole upper body. Reinforcing the top part because I had to cut away the top of the bulwarks at deck level. There will come a layer of walnut veneer over it. I am now planking the inside then sanding all the second planking before I put the veneer over it. The original wood snaps into pieces everywhere with sanding and cutting out the right forms. Tnx for watching.

20181006_112500.jpg20181006_112509.jpg20181006_112524.jpg20181006_112538.jpg

Making the inside stronger with some left over scrap wood.then gonna sand it smooth for final layer of veneer. According to the drawings in have to remove the piece under the deck but maybe i leave it there and put some veneer on it. Dont know if its better to finish the side with veneer and than do the planking of the decks or finish decks and then veneer the sides. Also have some wood for planking the decks but thats 2 mm thicknes and the original veneer for decks is 0.2 mm. If i use the wood i have to make the cannon ports bit higher. Havent decieded yet whats better. Anyone has some advice? Tnx for watching

20181007_185732.jpg20181007_185740.jpg20181007_185751.jpg

Sorry Pat, I wish I knew anything about this ship.
You have to wait for an expert on this one. Where's @Donnie he would know.
Goodluckmemattie
Greg

I would use the Veneer so you don't have to alter the ports no one will know how thick the planking is because the edge doesn't show. I always lay the deck planks as I lay the decks down then do the regular hull planks then veneer over those. then I do the bulwark planks inside the ship

Started with planking the decks. Have put 1 layer of varnish to avoid glue stains. Almost done with sanding then i will put new varnish on it. Its not the veneer from the kit but 1 mm planks.

Attachments

• 20181011_184148.jpg
    20181011_184148.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 68
  • 20181012_145525.jpg
    20181012_145525.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20181012_195824.jpg
    20181012_195824.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 69
Back