San felipe 1690 zhl kit 1:50

May 2019 be a better year for both of us and everyone else, health wise.
I hope you and your family will have a very blessed Christmas.
Regarding the house, thanks mate. That was the hardest and most time consuming room. I down and OMG, 13 more to do.

Problem. I wanted to install the rudder and turned the ship upside down. It looked good but then i turned it back in normal position and 1 of them is out of line. I used power glue to hold the nails in position and now i cant take the brass hinges of without a lot of damge on the wood. Has anyone a solution or Just leave it and take it with me in the learning progress for the next boat. ......Cautious. Its the same on the other side so its a symetrical failure. ;)

20181222_120923.jpg20181222_135043.jpg

I used power glue to hold the nails in position and now i cant take the brass hinges of without a lot of damge on the wood. Has anyone a solution
G'day Pat
That's a sticky question! Please excuse the bad pun.;)
If you only powder glue on the nails and not the brass hinges, you could try to grind the head off the nails and maybe you might have to make some slightly wider 'hull' hinges to cover up the damage etc.
I cant think of anything else. But if I was you, I would want to fix that tiny problem, by any method. Somehow it will come off. Good luck memattie.

Will try to get it of hope theres nog powerglue under the hinges. Terry the kit is from zhl and it was 249 or 269 dollars. for custums in paid 60 euro. I ordered on a sunday and got it on wednesday with dhl.

G'day Pat
I would assume that you should have to install glass in to the cover.
On the HMB ENDEAVOUR there's a very similar cover and it has an hindged roof for ventilation.
20181226_095852.jpg
Hope this helps.

I am not sure, if the vessels around 1690 had already glass in the hatches of the decks - I have my doubts.
I would think that they were covered by bad weather with canvas, and otherwise open for ventilation.
According the drawings, which room or area is under the hatch?

Dry fitted the bulwarks. Had to do little sanding to get them in position. First gonna cut out the down deck and see how it fits and then i gonna fill up the spaces with balsa blocks or plank to make the planking easyer. The hull is painted White under the waterline but i want Just wood with varnish. What kind of wood strips is good? Walnut or cherry or another?

did you use any tools to aliagn the frames

Hi Pat,
Personally, I like the light one better. However, if you don't mind, the grids are not identical and varies in sizes on both gratings light and dark. You can correct this by making a square dowel of proper grid size, then adjust strips by moving dowel from grid to grid. Make sure it passes freely without extra force.

Happy Modeling!

The dark ones are front the kit. Laser cut but a lot of Them broke and there where Just enough to make Them all with the broken ones included. The light ones are some spare parts i had left front other builds so have to order some from same size and brand. Tnx for the tips. Difficult to get it clean and good looking.

Back