San Martin galleon - 1:192 scale - Navy board style

A model of a Spanish (originally Portuguese) galleon in a navy board style (this is my second wood model).
The materials are boxwood, pear, linden and ebony.Probably some photo-etched parts.

There are few source materials, plans are imagination rather than reality.Probably the only contemporary painting and the galleon is the fresco in the Hall of Battles in El Escorial located in San Lorenzo de El Escorial. Besides, one more drawing.

San Martin escorial.jpgsao marthino epoka.jpg

I made the frames of pear wood - 1.6 mm. Every second one frame will be cut after sanding the hull. Everything stuck together temporarily by seccotine glue.
IMG_2446.JPGIMG_2474.JPGIMG_2481.JPGIMG_2516.JPGIMG_2519.JPGIMG_2541.JPGIMG_2544.JPG

After sanding a whole hull, I carefully disassembled the sections of double frames. Then I cut out the unnecessary material and gently sanded the center of the frames.

IMG_2550.JPGIMG_2553.JPGIMG_2579.JPGIMG_2580.JPGIMG_2568.JPGIMG_2572.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 16
Very interesting project! Does the build influence by the great miniature builder Philip Reed? I can see a similar style...

Very interesting project! Does the build influence by the great miniature builder Philip Reed? I can see a similar style...
Oh Yes

Really an interesting method (and project) ! - I will follow your log with big interest

Does the build influence by the great miniature builder Philip Reed? I

Yes, of course. The book "Building a miniature navy board model" is my guide :)

Raport from past weeks part 2:
All frame sections have been separated, sanded and permanently gluted again. The hull has been hollowed out and sanded.

IMG_2590.JPGIMG_2613.JPGIMG_2625.JPGIMG_2622.JPG1F941D52-88E6-4F67-ABFD-1CE28E33AB42.jpeg

The upper part of the hull is glued together from several layers of pear wood. Unwanted wood I cutted off with a scroll saw and then sanded.

IMG_2661.JPGIMG_2663.JPGIMG_2680.JPG

Main structure of orlop deck was made from boxwood (1,6 mm). Planks of visible parts of deck, from lime wood was gluted to thin paper.

IMG_7940-2.JPGIMG_4407-2.JPG

Gun deck in process:

IMG_1048.JPGIMG_0820.JPGIMG_5994.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1048.JPG
    IMG_1048.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Your gratings are very good, and extremely small with 0,5mm - which kind of saw are you using ? or how is your way you build the gratings with 0,5mm?

Thank You, Uwe :)
I use tabel saw FET from Proton with thin blade 0,5 mm. I use the generally known method, detaily described in many topics: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/introduction-and-help-needed.1747/#post-27758
Problem with this method is small scale, and fragility of thin pieces of wood, even boxwood.

Slow progress has been achieved. First, I decided to use stain. Boxwood is hard to staining, but acrylic paint is good choice only for elements painted in original ships. Inner side of the ship's sides is covered with strips of swiss pear and painted with acrylic paint.

Both parts of the hull with masts are temporary put together. Ledders from thin (0,2 mm) boxwood. Small part of floor in captain's cabin was made from boxwood and ebony. In windows photoetched net.

IMG_9226.JPGIMG_1859.JPGIMG_6326 2.JPGIMG_5850.JPGIMG_7968.JPGIMG_3812.JPGIMG_7802.JPGIMG_3260.JPGIMG_8629.JPGIMG_8523 2.JPGIMG_7449.JPG

Sitter:
I truly admire your attention to details. This build is truly remarkable and totally mesmerizing.
I could stare it for hours.

Last edited:
Sitter:
I truly admire your attention to details. This build is truly remarkable and totally pricing.
I could stare it for hours.

Thank you very much, but unfortunately I'm far from the effect that I would like to achieve. The small scale causes some technical difficulties in handling with small, fragile wooden elements. I decided not to use plastic, but only wood and photo-etched elements of my own design.

Quick update. Last "layers" of deck was made.

IMG_5568.JPGIMG_5979.JPGIMG_9382.JPGIMG_5172.JPGIMG_8776.JPG

Before next stages of work: planking, mast, rigging etc., it's time to make a display case.
I will try to make a display case of lime boards and maple burl veneer.

Burl veneer is very wrinkled. Home made mix of water, vegetable glycerin and alcohol combine with vacuum bag works very well.

IMG_9855.JPGIMG_3195.JPGIMG_0867.JPG

The veneer will be sanded and then I'll try to make french polishing. French polishing is in my opinion best finishing technique that results in a very high gloss surface. The only problem I have is I never tried such a surface finish :)

IMG_6524.JPG

A model of a Spanish (originally Portuguese) galleon in a navy board style (this is my second wood model).
The materials are boxwood, pear, linden and ebony.Probably some photo-etched parts.

There are few source materials, plans are imagination rather than reality.Probably the only contemporary painting and the galleon is the fresco in the Hall of Battles in El Escorial located in San Lorenzo de El Escorial. Besides, one more drawing.

I made the frames of pear wood - 1.6 mm. Every second one frame will be cut after sanding the hull. Everything stuck together temporarily by seccotine glue.
After sanding a whole hull, I carefully disassembled the sections of double frames. Then I cut out the unnecessary material and gently sanded the center of the frames.
Hallo @Sotter
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back