Santa Ana 1784 AL by PaulV

Hallo my friend,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Birthday-Cake

I just went true all your post
Having 2 bad experiences with AL to be honest I was not expecting a lots from that AL kit. But your work is first class and your ship will be a success, be certain that I will follow your build with pleasure :cool:

Tks All,
Tks Charles. I have to say that the kit is spectacular to look at but a one of the hardest I have built. The instructions are severely lacking and skip a lot. It is one of their older kits and they have cut a lot out overtime ( the manual talks about mounting posts & bases, which they decided for cost cuts to no longer include) I originally thought that the 120 page manual would be excellent and it looks it till you actually read it. Then its so full of errors & its crazy. Still with the help of petersons rigging book and some past experience I will plod on. Its not gunna defeat me and its been an interesting journey to say the least. Still better than Panart Doco!

Paul of the 3 kit I build from them 2 was not satisfactory
Medium quality wood short supply on some size and as you said instruction +- adequate
But it is also sadly true for other manufacturer
But with some researches and skill there are always way to build something good in the end as you do for your Santa Ana

Hello fellow shiprights, YEH YEH YEH. DONE!BottleShip-1Thumbs-Up
After starting to do the yards for the bowsprit, it became obvious that the bowsprit need to be installed. This in turn mandated the main standing rigging needed to be done, which meant the back stays needed to be done, which on closer inspection ( AKA read Petersonn's book, not the AL DIY Pictures) showed a lot of interaction in and around the shrouds.

After carefully installed the main & mizzen back stays it became obvious that the shrouds ratlines needed completing ( called break the back stays with tweezers & watches( yep)).:eek::mad::(

So began the bazillion knots and 18 days of mind numbing, eye busting rata-do-ee.

Well now I can get back to the back-stays / mainstays / bowsprit !Coffee;)

DSC03914.jpgDSC03915.jpgDSC03916.jpgDSC03918.jpgDSC03919.jpg

Sit.. STAY..( Bad joke)
All the back stays have now been completed

DSC03920.jpgDSC03921.jpg
Bowsprit added and roped
DSC03923.jpgDSC03935.jpg
Man mast stay and preventer stay sails at bowsprit added
DSC03926.jpg
Main mast for stay & preventer stay added with mouse
DSC03929.jpgDSC03934.jpg
Stay block measured and tighten prior to theading
DSC03928.jpg
All fitted and staying in place!
DSC03932.jpgDSC03933.jpgDSC03930.jpg
finally ships main boat added
DSC03924.jpg

Be back soon.

Milestone Complete: After 2 years from opening the box the Standing rigging is now complete.
Many thanks go out to the writers of the AL doco for providing an extremely un-ituitive, manual & rigging guide. Without it I would have lost my mind on my own time!

I was going to say a few grey hears later ( bu that's all i have now), so a few million colorless hairs later its done. I'm only hoping its right. It is the Petesson way, but with this kit who knows.

Okay so here a a few picks from the bowsprit rigging to the last top sail stays.
Building the tree of knowledge from Avatar
DSC03944.jpgDSC03945.jpgDSC03947.jpgDSC03949.jpg
Front Stays for Main, For & Mizzen
DSC03962.jpgDSC03954.jpgDSC03955.jpgDSC03958.jpgDSC03956.jpgDSC03960.jpg
And finally done
DSC03963.jpg

New for some work on my workshop. Pics to follow soon....

Last edited:
I did not like mine on any AL kit I did for OcCre also the canvas tread is too big the overlap on the edge and so on
I went to a haberdashery and get so nice canvas
And it does not need to be a talented seamstress to do a decent work.
There is many, many method to do them.

That is my 5 cent :cool:

Tks Charles.

My original AL galleon ( V1 ) sails consisted of just a single piece of sail cloth uncut . Had to make my own from them. ( Fabric Glue is great!)
Apart from the Fat seams ( only visible under backlighting.), these are nicely finished off and have appropriate edging, runners & spicing so I may keep them. Once dampened & ironed they stiffened up nicely.

AL are funny how some bits are good and others are so so.

Sail away, no Stay!.

Well after lots of colorful language, cross eyed squint's, crossed ropes & entanglements, the stay sails are now installed.
DSC03964.jpgDSC03965.jpgDSC03968.jpgDSC03973.jpgDSC03977.jpgDSC03972.jpgDSC03974.jpg

The process was tediuous at times, however surprisingly the AL provided latch charts did have belaying positions for all the sail tackle.
Next the head sails & the rear boom sails & yards.

Head sail & Fore Stay sail added. Belaying easy to follow.
DSC03978.jpgDSC03979.jpgDSC03980.jpgDSC03983.jpg

Rear Boom sail a bit troublesome. Diagrams close but confusing as inaccurate and belaying not correct. Also a fat stomach & boom tip did not agree with each other and decided to part ways. Part pinning & a re rig was in order along with a VERY healthy dose of excessively repeated colorful expletives.

DSC03984.jpgDSC03985.jpgDSC03986.jpgDSC03988.jpgDSC03987.jpg

Next the Bowsprit yards.

Back