Securing the masts.

Hi. Does everyone secures their masts into the model hull just with some glue or some are using other methods? I imagine the rigging would hold the mast down but then how to prevent it from rotating around the axis?

Last edited:
Thanks. But I am asking about the models, not actual ships. The model of a kind sown on the drawing below. Is it glue, standing rigging with no glue or different type of mounting? How do you guys manage?

IMG_0238.jpeg

The bowsprit mast has no shrouds to prevent it rotating around the axis. Is not it? Looks as it must be secured somehow.
... a bowsprit mast? Do you mean Foremast? Each mast has its own set of ratlines shrouds and backstays. All those rigging will secure masts good enough from rotating.

I mean bowsprit. What prevents it from rotating on the model unless it’s glued or pinned with a screw or something.
aha...got it! The bowsprit was secured with the gammoning rope. On the model, you can secure as well. Also, the bowsprit has its own shrouds on starboard and larboard.

1700708951176.png

1700709024600.png
1700709187332.png

When I'm absolutely sure I will never want to remove it for modifications I use epoxy, the 2-ingredients-and-mix type. But really that's overkill. Unless the nest for the mast is really shallow, simple wood glue plus all the rigging will keep it nice and tight.

Hi, I just glue the mast with wood glue (let it dry overnight) and I have NEVER had a problem with a mast rotating.

Another note. I always pin my spars to a mast. That prevents spars from breaking off and/or rotating.

Just my Humble Opinion.

On an Admiralty style model (Plank on Frame), withing the Keel are Mast steps with square openings. However, I assume that you are working on a Plank on Bulkhead which is using a false keel which then uses a long vertical slot to insert all of your mast in.
Therefore, I have always used plain white glue or Titebond glue as this (when cured) sometimes in just about 3 hours, the Mast is NOT going to move.
Assuming that you already have the Trestle Trees (and all associated parts) to the mast done, then the only thing you need to do is to wet the end of the mast with a little glue and guide it down into the slot.
The slot is most likely going to have a angular RAKE to it. Therefore, you just need to make sure the mast is NOT leaning from PORT to STARBOARD using a level. You also want to make sure before the glue dries that the trestle trees are in alignment.
However, before doing all of this. Make as certain as you can that the HULL of the ship is level from PORT to STARBOARD.
The slot in the false deck will take care of the alignment from FORE and AFT ship.
Now, you can rig the shrouds and ratlines on each mast. After which then the Mast stays. The mast stays will TIGHTEN or remove the slack that might be in the Shrouds.

I have done both techniques…glued the mast in place and simply set the mast and used the rigging to keep it secured. There are pro and con for both methods. Gluing of course sets your mast in place and it will not move about. The trick with gluing is one must be absolutely certain the mast is aligned correctly before the glue sets…no adjustments after things dry and set. I remember one mast on a model I was sure was aligned correctly only to discover it was really a few degrees twisted…too late. It took looking from a different angle to see it. So I plan ahead and make the tenon base and the tenon on the mast end to fix the alignment…this requires jumping ahead of most kit plans and instructions to model how you want to set the masts. I set and glue my model masts most of my builds. A few times I loose set my masts and use the shrouds to keep the mast in place. This method also takes attention when attaching the standing rigging that you do not twist the mast. However, twists can still be adjusted when the mast is loose set. That is a plus. I have not experienced any issues over time for either method. My current build is the HMS Revenge 1577 and I am loose setting the masts. Again, as long as I pay attention to equalizing the shroud tensions all is good. By the way, the tenon set for the base of the lower masts works really well for loose setting of the masts. The down side of using the tenon method is it takes careful modeling to get the tenon cut correctly to assure proper alignment. Set the tenon in place and the mast is well secured from twists. My experiences…

Last edited:
FWIW, I've always just glued them in using the same wood glue I use for everything else (Weldbond... I love that stuff). I've never had any reason or need to remove a mast, so maybe I'm just lucky. Depending upon the kit, I either apply glue to both the base of the mast and opening in the deck (wiping away excess off the deck after the mast is inserted), or just at the deck opening. I prefer to glue at both base and deck, because that gives two points of adhesion and less chance of the mast slipping fore/aft or side to side. Once the glue sets, it's all good.

I used Poster Putty by Duck. Available at an office supply store. Just a dab on the bottom of the mast holds it in place. Also, not permanent. I may have to remove the foremast on my Cutty Sark in order to install two mast bands that I forgot. Shame on me.

On my current build, and in the future,I plan on installing a sharpened pin in the bottom of the masts and bowsprit,and foregoing glue so it will be possible to remove them and flatpack them for moving.

Hi. Does everyone secures their masts into the model hull just with some glue or some are using other methods? I imagine the rigging would hold the mast down but then how to prevent it from rotating around the axis?
1. You cut a square tenon {about an eighth to a quarter inch high}
into the heel/base of the mast.
2. You build a square box that snugly fits the tenon at the base of the mast.
3. You DO glue, pin or otherwise secure the box (but not the mast) onto the hull somewhere below the uppermost deck involved in the orientation you want.
4. Insert the mast's tenon into the hull's box.
5. Shim (refer to plans for "shim" design} the mast at the upper deck level so that it is vertical/raked per plan.
6. The procedure above should handle any mast in any model.

Back