• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Soleil Royal 1671 by EDub (Heller 1/100)

A very brief update... the timberhead framing on both port/starboard sides of the forecastle are roughed in. I will save a bit of light sanding and filing until all of the timberheads are framed. The remaining 70+ timberheads are essentially the same size, so things should go smoothly.

Maybe I will be ready for painting the hull by Christmas (that would mark one year since I started on version #3.... or as I call it, SR1671.2). I have the fenders and ladders to apply, and then the drilling of about 800 various sized holes (for gun tackle, gun port lid lanyard, etc, etc.) that I have templates already constructed.

20260909_060201.jpg

20260909_060212.jpg

20260909_060221.jpg
.
 
Awesome project, I see a lot of similarities to my Vanguard/Superbe kit bash project — I’m so jealous of your 1:100 scale though :) fantastic detail, craftsmanship and paint techniques, really look forward to following your build!
 
Awesome project, I see a lot of similarities to my Vanguard/Superbe kit bash project — I’m so jealous of your 1:100 scale though :) fantastic detail, craftsmanship and paint techniques, really look forward to following your build!
Thank you for the kind comments... I looked at your build log, and all I can say is "WOW"!!! Very impressive....
 
I actually finished the (rough) framing almost 2 weeks ago... but zero work has been done on SR1671.2 in that time, as my focus has been on updating a laundry room; drywall, electrical, baseboard and window/door casings, etc. Fun, but in a completely different way. Having a bevy of handy tools, I sometimes wondered "how did they build these massive, gorgeous ships with the simple tools that they had 350 years ago!?".

All that is left is some minor sanding and filing, and then the effort now to take care of any glue smears - you can see the sheen in some spots. And then a good wash before we proceed to the ladder and fenders. That is... after I finish painting the "new" laundry room!

20261003_063604.jpg

20261003_063644.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have finished planking the interior of the starboard side. i.e. planking the inside of the bulwarks where the eye can peer into. Looking at the black deck ledge for the forecastle, you can get an idea how the sheer line diverges from the deck line.

View attachment 607378

I am happy with the planking. You may notice above the square QD gun ports, I had to do... not sure of the carpentry term... a series of planks that were cut halfway in width to seat the next plank above without having to taper a tiny, sharp point. It was the only way I could think of that might be hostorically plausible.

View attachment 607379

View attachment 607377

This photo shows the standard kit rear bulwark with four (five?) sheer steps compared to mt SR1671.2 with three sheer steps.

View attachment 607380

And this last photo shows the kit bulwark positioned exactly where it would go, albeit mostly hidden behind my modifications...

View attachment 607381
Hi:) You did a very beautiful work in re-creating the planking....
This kit has two main issues, and it isn't the fact that it only has 14 lower gunports .....It'is about its hull curve, its depth and its overall shape length wise; You fixed the rear part, but it needs a front curve (much smaller) too; the depth of the hull can be fixed by simply cutting off the part under the lower wale off.....As for the number of gunports......Can you read French? I can send you a document which will give you the details about the ships history that I reshearched for a couple of years and with many headaches; its 125 pages apprx.
 
Hi:) You did a very beautiful work in re-creating the planking....
This kit has two main issues, and it isn't the fact that it only has 14 lower gunports .....It'is about its hull curve, its depth and its overall shape length wise; You fixed the rear part, but it needs a front curve (much smaller) too; the depth of the hull can be fixed by simply cutting off the part under the lower wale off.....As for the number of gunports......Can you read French? I can send you a document which will give you the details about the ships history that I reshearched for a couple of years and with many headaches; its 125 pages apprx.
Guy, thank you for the comments! I have your document, and it has been an exceptional resource for me to refer back to over the last several years.

I have closely followed your build logs, as well as that of @Hubacs Historian. The combined expertise/knowledge - as well as the sheer ambition! - have been an incredible aid to me.

This will eventually be a waterline model, so I will be able to "hide" the lower hull
 
Back
Top